AIP-267: Add 'Treasury' tab to Apecoin.com

PROPOSAL NAME

Add ‘Treasury’ tab to Apecoin.com

PROPOSAL CATEGORY

Category: Process

ABSTRACT

This proposal seeks to update the ApeCoin.com website to include a “Treasury” tab.

The purpose of this proposal is to address a lack of transparency around the size of the ApeCoin DAO treasury and the rate at which treasury funds are being spent.

This proposal requires that the “Treasury” tab include a live counter that tracks the size of the DAO treasury, the amount of the DAO treasury that has been spent, the rate of current spend of DAO funds, and the estimated time when the treasury would be depleted at the current spend rate.

AUTHOR DESCRIPTION

Written by @waabam. I am a WG0 Steward alumni, the ApeCoin Community Manager for Bored Club Canada, a longstanding contributor to the ApeCoin DAO, and a current nominee for ApeCoin Special Council in the June 2023 election cycle.

MOTIVATION

Many community members in the ApeCoin DAO have concerns about the size of the DAO treasury and the rate at which treasury funds are being spent. The lack of transparency around the funds in the DAO treasury is a problem, as community members do not have the information they need to determine how the costs of any particular AIP will impact the overall treasury.

This AIP will help address that problem by adding a “Treasury” tab to the ApeCoin.com website.

Adding “Treasury” to the website will allow DAO members to understand how much remains in the DAO treasury, where DAO funds have been spent so far, how quickly DAO funds are currently being spent, and how much longer the DAO treasury will last.

RATIONALE

Adding “Treasury” to the website will improve the DAO user experience and provide important information for all ApeCoin DAO members, while increasing the transparency of the DAO.

This AIP aligns with all of ApeCoin’s values, and specifically with the values of transparency and collective responsibility.

SPECIFICATIONS

This AIP only requires changes to the ApeCoin.com website.

Specifically, a new tab called “Treasury” should be added to the ApeCoin.com website.

This page should provide a live counter that tracks the size of the DAO treasury, the amount of the DAO treasury that has been spent, the rate of current monthly spend of DAO funds, and the estimated time when the treasury would be depleted at the current spend rate.

While not required in the initial version, a future version of this page could also include a break-down of where DAO funds have been spent, including a visual representation of DAO spend by category.

This AIP is being posted in the spirit of “progress over perfection”. While a more comprehensive treasury dashboard may be possible, the goal at this time is to quickly get a DAO treasury tracker up and running that provides the most essential DAO treasury statistics, and that can be reasonably implemented by the DAO administrator without incurring additional expenses to the DAO.

Future responsibility for proposing updates to this page should fall to the Treasury Working Group, once it is created, and the Governance Working Group, in the meantime.

STEPS TO IMPLEMENT

The ApeCoin DAO Administrators are instructed to update the ApeCoin.com website to add a “Treasury” tab to the website.

This page should provide a live counter that tracks the size of the DAO treasury, the amount of the DAO treasury that has been spent, the rate of current monthly spend of DAO funds, and the estimated time when the treasury would be depleted at the current spend rate.

While not required in the initial version, in a future version of this page, the user might be able to toggle the live counters between $APE or USD.

While not required in the initial version, a future version of this page could also include a break-down of where DAO funds have been spent, including a visual representation of DAO treasury spend by category or AIP.

This page should be updated every time that funds are disbursed from the DAO treasury.

TIMELINE

This AIP can reasonably be implemented within 3-4 weeks of the AIP being approved by the DAO.

OVERALL COST

$0

10 Likes

CHANGE-LOG

June 10, 2023:

• Shortened implementation timeline from 4-6 weeks to 3-4 weeks.

June 11, 2023:

• Updated AIP category from “Core” to “Process”.
1 Like

I’m looking forward to the community’s feedback on this proposal.

As I mentioned in the post, this AIP is being posted in the spirit of “progress over perfection”, and isn’t necessarily meant to represent the most comprehensive treasury dashboard possible.

My hope is that we can quickly get a DAO treasury tracker up and running that provides the most essential DAO treasury statistics, and that can be reasonably implemented by the DAO administrator without incurring additional expenses to the DAO.

The treasury tracker could then be iterated on in the future.

Nonetheless, I absolutely welcome any feedback on whether this proposal can be improved upon - or if there is a better way entirely to achieve the goal of improving transparency around the DAO treasury.

12 Likes

YES.

I think it’s @CEOofWeb3.0 that has already instituted some tracking which could be included.

I suggest including lockup expiries too. APE | Token Unlocks - Your Unlock Schedule & Tokenomics Data

Also consider including tracking of major recipients of Treasury funds. For example, what, if anything, did Guy Oseary do with the massive amount he was granted? I believe his grant recently expired without a token spent or sent, thereby (IIRC) it (should have) reverted back to Treasury. If he accomplished nothing with it, why not?

9 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, @br00no! I am currently imagining that this tracker would only track when DAO funds have been spent, as opposed to just allocated.

My logic is that I’m hoping to keep this tracker simple enough that our DAO administrator can manage it without needing additional expenses incurred to the Treasury.

I am also hoping that, once the Treasury Working Group is up and running, they will be able to improve on this tracker, empowered with a proper budget.

I think your suggestion is a great one, though! Will need to consider if it can be fit into this simplified tracker.

6 Likes

Yes this would be a great idea. Having a treasury tab that tracks the the size of a the treasury vs the balance left will give an idea to voters on the next AIP whether its justifiable with the balance left during the current timeframe

3 Likes

100% for this. Part of my platform for running for a DAO position is transparency and this is exactly the stuff we need.

Is the Administrator currently responsible for “web development/maintenance”? I sure hope so given how much we’re paying them, but it’s worth checking (if you haven’t already). Could mean the cost for this isn’t $0, at least for initial implementation.

Since the numbers probably cannot be automatically updated (due to not using a single wallet and Snapshot “requested” amounts being in text and sometimes in stages), this AIP should include requirement for a table view of all records to be also publicly visible so we can audit it. I strongly suspect the Administrator will sometimes forget to update the table/total and this will allow us to notice it and remind them.

8 Likes

Would absolutely be a useful addition, the more transparency the better. :clap:

4 Likes

This is a great idea,indeed an useful addition!!!

3 Likes

That’s a great Idea Br00no, I’ll add it in :saluting_face:

4 Likes

I had suggested to @Amplify at the beginning of May that we could use the Coinbase Prime API to update the Treasury Wallets page automatically whenever there is a transaction. The API is List Portfolio Wallets | Coinbase Cloud

Amplify mentioned he was going to ask Webslinger about this. Would love to hear an update if this in motion.

It would be great to add the additional items you mention to the page.

9 Likes

Hello @dar,

This is indeed on Webslingers task list, but the Treasury Wallets page can be difficult to locate:

Even if we get the API plugged in, I do see tremendous value in making it easier to find/see, like a tab on the homepage. :slight_smile:

-Amplify

9 Likes

Hey @br00no,

I think Guy O has until December 31, 2023 to spend his allocation. The funds have not left the treasury.

I’m sure @amplify.Admin can fact-check me on that.

Also, @Waabam, a simple MVP to begin with and allowing the Treasury WG to build on top is a great idea. Is there a reason why we wouldn’t just leave this all to them to build and develop?

Thanks all – :call_me_hand:t4:

6 Likes

I agree! It could be as simple as linking to the treasury-wallets page from the top nav tabs and restructuring that page a bit. If that is difficult for them to automate updating the wallets, then sure, make a new page and link to the treasury-wallets from there. It is hard to find from the About page as it is now.

5 Likes

Thanks for the comments, @ssp1111. I’m glad you support the idea in principle.

The goal with this AIP is to ensure that the DAO Administrators have direct instruction from the DAO to get this information on the treasury on the website, and soon.

It might be in their to-do list, or it might be in their nice-to-have list, but this AIP will ensure it is in their DAO-mandated and required to-do list.

I would add that I agree with your sentiment about not trying to over-dictate or micromanage. We don’t want the DAO Administrators to be constrained in how they represent the information.

For that reason, I’ve tried to keep the instructions / steps to implement broad. I welcome suggestions on how to improve them.

9 Likes

Thanks for your comments, @dar.

Restructuring the treasury-wallets page and creating a new tab at the top of the website might make the most sense.

I think I am slightly leaning towards preferring to have an entirely new treasury page, which would then link to the treasury-wallets page. But I am open to your suggestion, and would love to hear other people’s thoughts.

4 Likes

A new separate page linked from the top nav makes sense. I brought up the treasure-wallets page in case they were working on automating that, which it sounds like it is on their list. So a separate page would help keep the work isolated, and then link to the treasure-wallets page from the new treasury page seems like your option is a good one!

5 Likes

I think it would take less time to put it in action! Still, amazing idea :grin:

3 Likes

All additional transparency is always welcomed. Add to that user-friendly searchability of treasury funds, spends, cumulative totals etc and you have yourself a winner imho. I also think it will complement CE0’s treasury txn twitter tracker and vice versa. LFG

5 Likes

I absolutely love this idea! The concept of introducing a “Treasury” tab on the ApeCoin.com website is a thoughtful and forward-thinking approach. This will significantly enhance transparency around the DAO’s financials and aligns perfectly with our values. We appreciate your innovative thinking and look forward to exploring the implementation of this proposal.

6 Likes