AIP-124: Thank APE: Decentralized, Automated Rewards for Valuable ApeCoin Contributions

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @thrivegiraffe for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @thrivegiraffe please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson

5 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@thrivegiraffe has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

Last week I had a long productive call with Daniel (@thrivegiraffe) about this proposal and the logistics around incentivizing participation. Happy to report his team is very open to feedback and working with the community to get this right.

I am less critical than I was initially. I believe the direction is positive and am excited the ThriveCoin team is thinking about how to convert observers into contributors or passives into promoters. I offered my advisory support if the proposal passes.

8 Likes

@nix.eth thanks for the vote of confidence. :star_struck:

Iā€™m excited about our shared passion and complementary experience in this area. I believe you have an important perspective and great insights, and we look forward to collaborating with you!

Also, I want to double-down on two other pieces:

I appreciate you seeing this. ThankApe is for our ApeCoin community. We will make this initiative great because weā€™ll work together with the community to make it great!

Thanks. Every ApeCoin member deserves to be rewarded and thanked for your valuable contributions to our community. As that happens, it should inspire more valuable contributions! - Daniel

10 Likes

Hey @thrivegiraffe - thanks for the proposal, I love that youā€™re trying to get at the route inputs for DAO growth and having been through this process recently agree that incentivized engagement would be a great mechanism to test in driving participation.

A couple thoughts:

1. Are there ways to disproportionately incentivize those that go above and beyond? Ie. could we carve out 10% of rewards for the top-10 ā€˜value providersā€™ to make sure thereā€™s real incentive to go above and beyond.
  2. This seems like a fair ask re: budget to get started, but long-term is likely not a high ROI investment for the DAO if paid in these increments bi-annualy. As such, Iā€™d love to see thinking on how we fund this long term. Pointing marketplace funding or other revenue streams from Ape Drops and other successful proposals that generate income could be an idea.
  3. Personally I donā€™t know that Twitter engagement should count as a rewarded behavior. Easy to bot, and the value added comes from discourse engagement (or discord) that others can see and build on.
6 Likes

@zheerwagen, I appreciate this feedback! Iā€™m excited, also, for our potential collaboration with you and SnagSolutions (more later!) :star_struck:

Responses below:

Yes! There are a few ways we can support top earners in being rewarded for their particularly valuable contributions. Additionally, they - and their contributions - can be visible in a leaderboard (+ thank you notes) allowing them to be seen and honored for their contributions by all community members.

We are aligned - and agreed! Weā€™re already working on partnerships within our ApeCoin community that can lead to sustainable sources of funding for long-term (including the one weā€™re working on together)!

I hear you on this, and appreciate your perspective. We ultimately wonā€™t decide which contributions or platforms to reward. The Thank APE Advisory Board (all OG Apes known and respected by the community!) will make those decisions based on a) continuous feedback from the community, and b) continuous data and insights we can provide about what is driving real value / impact / utility for ApeCoin DAO.

ā€¦one last thought: I believe the key to thriving and sustainability for ApeCoin DAO is creating and leveraging infrastructure that honors community members, rewards value, and is self-sustaining. That is the essence of the what we are proposing with Thank APE! Iā€™m so excited to work with you - and every community member - to deliver on that value proposition!

4 Likes

Thank you for your response and excited to see this go to a vote!!

4 Likes

Iā€™m for this proposal, mostly because the community will decide how rewards are administered. Personally, Iā€™d vote for a slight multiplier for those who were here contributing before rewards became a thing :grin:

6 Likes

@Mantis thanks for your kind words and your support for our proposal! I want to make sure to address your idea too:

We appreciate this idea. To me - and us - it feels appropriate to honor early adopters. Whether we do that with a multiplier conceptā€¦ or by recognizing some (letā€™s call them) ā€œpre-seasonā€ contributions in our first season, we have the capability to address this if the community desires it. As with other reward decisions, ultimately the Thank APE advisory board (greatly informed by the community!) will make and implement those decisions! - Daniel

6 Likes

We have sent a list of initial questions to the author

Kind Regards,

- river

1 Like

Just wanted to drop a reply.

As a board advisor for this initiative, I am obviously excited. I have multiple years of prior experience working with philanthropic endeavors and NPOā€™s (most recently Apes Vs. Punks 2022). My daytime job is as a full-time Physiotherapy Doctoral student. My passions lie in helping people move better & live a happier life. Most recently with Punks Vs Apes, we raised $56,000 for Riley Childrenā€™s Hospital. I hope my skill-sets in crypto & healthcare alike can help guide this initiative towards the proper causes that apecoin DAO can hang itā€™s hat on. If anyone has questions for me, feel free to reach out via twitter DMā€™s, discord, or Reply to this post.

I hope members of the DAO can see the bigger picture benefit that Thank APE can offer.
Much Love,
ap3father

10 Likes

@thrivegiraffe has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-river

1 Like

Hi @thrivegiraffe, thank you so much for putting together this exciting proposal!

Iā€™m in complete agreement that the most precious part of our DAO are our brilliant minds & talents, and am hopeful Thank Ape would act as the catalyst for community members to become involved & active at an increasingly central capacity.

Comments:

• This seems to have great synergy with several accepted & proposed AIPs:
    • @0xSword 's AIP-106 regarding POAP Voting Rewards (we could extend the infrastructure for voting rewards to other participation rewards, including those which may be easily botted if ApeCoin rewards were at stake)
    • The DAO Communications Team proposal, which could be another point of contact & advisory in addition to the ApeCoin OGs.
      • I will be part of this proposed team in itā€™s updated edition, and as the de facto designer I adore the visuals you added to this AIP! Really helps with readability & visualization, especially for readers short on time, would love to collaborate on visuals & designs to enhance communication & engage our community.
    • As @zheerwagen mentioned in the post about how we should use AIP-98 funds, love that funds from the marketplace could go towards Thank Ape & make this proposal more sustainable in the long term.

Concerns:

• In terms of concerns over botting this system, Iā€™m also wary of rewards that can be farmed by bad actors. Not only tweets can be farmed, but in todayā€™s era of AI writing, people can write coherent paragraphs to farm on Discourse by compiling prior comments and analyzing sentiment through automated systems. Verified emails, captchas, phone numbers, locations/addresses, and credit cards (wallets) can be botted, and as weā€™ve seen from brands like Supreme, as long as the arbitrage opportunity exists, the attempt to stop bots is a never-ending arms race.
    • Based on the ThriveCoin website, it looks like you have other communities which youā€™ve helped, would love to understand how youā€™ve executed Twitter, Discord, and such participation rewards for each of these communities & mitigated the botting issue. Would also love to learn how you customize ThriveCoinā€™s approach for each unique community!
    • Will you have people in place to monitor this issue & engage in the proverbial ā€œarms raceā€ against bots?
  • How equipped is your team to deal with sudden spikes of botting attempts/activities as the price of $APE fluctuates over time? How often have ThriveCoinā€™s communities had this issue in the past?

Thanks again for this exciting proposal, I look forward to hearing from you regarding the points mentioned!

-Halina.eth :cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

@Halina.eth thank you for this reply - and your thoughtful response. Iā€™m excited to work my way through it!

Yes. Youā€™ve identified a core part of our opportunity and intention!

Iā€™m excited you noticed this! Our opportunity with Thank APE is to reward what matters in our ApeCoin DAO. Right now, core infrastructure is being built that shows off the utility of ApeCoin; you named important initiatives: POAP rewards, a communications team, and our NFT marketplace.

As you point out, we should be incentivizing all behaviors that drive value and sustainability for the DAO and for the initiatives and infrastructure we need. Thank APE can and should do this - and personally I am so excited to partner with and lift up the wonderful people and initiatives in our community!

You rightly describe todayā€™s bot environment. And you rightly describe, a bit later, the ā€œarms raceā€ weā€™re dealing with. The reality is no tech is perfect (even though we try!), and tech will continue to improve on both sides of the ā€œarms raceā€. But our approach has worked in a variety of circumstances, and we feel comfortable in our ability to evolve with it over time.

Weā€™ve built the tech to be very flexible, with a wide variety of approaches / validation mechanisms that can be leveraged and evolved over time. What this means in practice is we arenā€™t necessarily just rewarding a comment on Discourse. We can look at many things happening around that comment to ā€œvalidateā€ its likely authenticity and the impact it has on the community. If we notice certain approaches are being gamed / botted, we can quickly shift the validation mechanisms in place. This strategy should continuously deter, prevent, and catch most bot activity.

This is a problem that must be addressed both for ApeCoin DAO and for all of web3. We believe we are well equipped to manage it. We feel very comfortable with the approach shared above.

Thank you for the great questions. We are so excited to help reward, thank, and lift up all the great work in our ApeCoin DAO community! - Daniel

3 Likes

We have sent a list of follow up questions to the author

Kind Regards,

- river

3 Likes

@thrivegiraffe has responded to our follow up questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-river

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy to say that I attended my first Thank Ape committee meeting today! The group started by doing introductions and talking about their visions for how the program will benefit the ecosystem. Each then indicated what areas & workstreams they want to focus on. My interests and focus is on things like partnerships, so when a new project enters the ecosystem, this initiative can work well with theirs.

I also am happy to collect and organize community feedback, on a variety of topics beyond just connecting with other ecosystem projects. Things like contribution rewards, the amount distributed for certain tasks, and more, are certainly within the scope of things Iā€™d like to hear from the community about. Iā€™m glad to answer questions , and also confident that the committee can stay highly tuned w/ the community!

11 Likes

I recently started participating in the Apecoin forum, and Iā€™m overwhelmed by the quality here. OP certainly makes a great proposal, but thereā€™s certainly the risk of now getting a lot of ā€œnice projectā€ comments. Interesting to see how they filter out low-quality contributions.

8 Likes