AIP-127: New Year’s Eve Party 2023 for Apecoin Community

Very happy to lend support to this project, hope it goes through, even if I don’t win :smiley:

4 Likes

Wishing you success in this proposal and it’s such a great thing you are doing to help children who don’t have the opportunity to get the basic primary education they need. Thank you for

4 Likes

Hi @Novocrypto,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Pearson

2 Likes

Hi Novo !

I love this idea and appreciate all of the work you’ve already put in to making this more than an idea. I don’t think this will be seen as a “cheap” event by most peoples standard, nor should it be! It seems like a great opportunity for people to experience something fun that maybe outside of their regular budget/comfort zone, and bring some positive exposure to ApeCoin as well. The suggestions for some commemorative swag also sounds like a great idea, there was that special BAYC charity dinner during the first ApeFest and they got some special jackets.

The built in charity is really genius. It would be easy to simply throw a fundraiser at the event, but having the good deeds built into the proposal budget means that there’s no risk of missing the immediate fundraising goal. Hosting a formal or silent auction for added charity at the event maybe a fun way to double down on the charitable impact and introduce some high quality/fun ApeCoin branded “swag”. There are probably a handful of companies from the NFT ecosystem who would be open to donating some stuff for that too, I noticed @ApeBeverages already popped on the post to offer a water sponsorship.

I hope the community can look past the price tag here and see the scope and potential for this event. Novo clearly has the experience and put in the legwork to make this a reality for anyone with an ApeCoin this year. Plus it’s something that could scale to a larger annual event.

Thank you Novo!!

7 Likes

Thank you @Lost Great feedback! :raised_hands: I agree this is definitely not a cheap event in any sense of the word. I tried to keep it as cost effective as possible while also offering absolutely top quality on a whole new level incl 5-hour dinner for 1000 people. I wanted this to be a not for profit project especially so far as I’m concerned which is why I’m asking for $0 payment for my own work as executive event producer. My reward would be the philanthropy aspect. That means the world to me already!

Really great ideas about other fundraising opportunities and sponsorships with various swag at the event. I’ll try to include more information and details on that in the draft. Thanks for bringing it up. I agree that given how much the event costs, there can and should be more tangible ways of stretching the event’s impact to echo more in the wider web3 community and delight attendees! This in addition to the commemorative coin, video content creation and VR live streaming of events highlights for the entire Apecoin community that’s already budgeted in.

I also have a plan and timeline for social media engagement in terms of regular spaces and project updates especially to follow the progress of kids education with corresponding content published on the website and as a non-profit NFT collection, plus ultimately a feature length documentary at the end of the school year that showcases Apecoin DAO philanthropy on the ground. Fun fact: I’m a professional documentary filmmaker in my non web3 life :clapper: The movie is not costed in this AIP and will either need another AIP or another source of funding in due course.

It was awesome to hear from @ApeBeverages :raised_hands: and I’m looking forward to working with them and a number of other BAYC/MAYC family who might be interested in having their brands represented in one way or another (ofc should the AIP pass the vote). I think sponsorships especially for swag would be great but there’s also room for inviting apes involved in food and beverages as well as music and film to be involved.

My vision is for this event is to be as inclusive as possible and that includes all the parties you mentioned.

Hopefully people will also find the ticketing mechanism interesting and appreciate the fact that while it’s executed by Richerd and his stellar team at Manifold, they are not asking for any payment from the DAO! So we’re actually saving costs on so many grounds so that the fund can benefit the community directly and fully. :orange_heart:

Thanks again for your reply! Apologies for the wall of text :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Thank you for this. Yes I really appreciated the discussion and feedback and look forward to the drafting stage. Please go ahead and close this topic after 24 hours. :raised_hands::pray:

4 Likes

Hey @Novocrypto,

Congrats on getting this AIP up and out there – always such a brave thing to do👏🏽.

You know I’m a big fan for the Magic of IRL Events, so you definitely get :tada: for such a well-written and detailed IRL Event AIP.

While I’m happy to join the majority of comments that have been supportive and positive at this Idea Stage, I hope you don’t mind if I bring up a few thoughts in anticipation of questions that may arise in the Draft Stage (some of these you and I have already discussed):

• One of my concerns was the planning, marketing, securing of vendors and execution of the event given such a short timeline - can you speak to how you’ll get this done within 8-9 weeks?
    • I love the concept of trading marketing efforts for a raffle ticket to a Black-Tie event (it is Black-Tie, right?) - however, there are stringent laws in the US regarding raffles that are under IRS Regulations - would you mind speaking to how the NYE Party, LLC will not fall foul of these rules and how the ApeCoinDAO will be protected?
    • I’m a little concerned about the general perception from those in the broader NFT community when they read that ApeCoin is picking up the tab for a 1,000 people to attend an $800-per-ticket New Year’s Party - how will you manage any pushback and do you think this will open up the floodgates for hundreds of IRL Event AIPs?

To be clear, I am absolutely hopeful that we have many, many proposals for ApeCoin Powered IRL Events from all over, I’m just hopeful that we can manage them in a coordinated manner with shared resources, vendors and talent – sort of like an early version of a GoldenVoice or LiveNation.

PS:

• I love the vibes of the TWA Hotel - hopefully your relationship with them will prove to be invaluable for the ApeCoin DAO and beyond.
  • I know that you and I share the values of always learning, doing some good together and how best to serve the ApeCoin DAO – and in that spirit you always have my support.

SSP✌🏽

9 Likes

This is gonna happen!!!

I want to go if I can afford

6 Likes

My favorite part of this: It’s incredibly inviting to all Apecoin holders. A member with 1 Apecoin has the chance to be a part of this awesome proposed experience. For me, I’ve never had the opportunity to join an event of this caliber.

The proposer Novo has a long history with BAYC, including being a BAYC grant recipient, and has a track record of doing great things in the Web3 ecosystem. This proposal is well-written & has a lot of merit. Excited to see it move forward!

6 Likes

Thanks @ssp1111 SSP for taking the time to read and comment. I know you’re busy with your own AIP re IRL events within the ape ecosystem. Hope all is going well on your end. There are some overlaps in our goals so I’m very happy to hear from you. :slightly_smiling_face:

You raised some fantastic questions which give me an opportunity to expand on details that did not fit in the AIP idea, let’s dive in! I hope you don’t mind the length, I tried to be as detailed as possible!

1. The timeline for organizing this event actually started 2 months ago; please see steps already implemented in the AIP. This event would not have been possible if it was to start from scratch now (12 weeks before NYE!). The remaining 12 weeks until the day of the event are dedicated to finalizing the details and logistics of the event both online and IRL. Let’s start with the biggest part:

The heavy lifting of event’s management and execution is carried out by the Events’ Team at the TWA Hotel and MCR Hotel Group which includes catering for food and drinks (one-hour reception and a five-hour dinner) and relevant staff throughout the venue which overall constitutes more than half of our budget and work involved. They have their own timeline and implementation plan for arranging an event of this size which I will not be micromanaging. However, as mentioned in the proposal, I (as the executive event’s producer) will have multiple meetings with their team to coordinate efforts and finalize various details. These IRL meetings and calls are scheduled for October (payment and contract), November (finalizing the menu and other catering details in collaboration with the Hotel’s gastro team) and December (final touches in the run up to the event). My travel expenses are covered in the budget, otherwise I am not charging the DAO anything for my time and work. Moreover, any money that is not spent will be returned to the DAO so there’s an ongoing opportunity for saving money. The venue’s events team have a stellar track record of delivering similarly large events and that’s one of the reasons why they were chosen in the first place. They have already provided a fully itemised and costed proposal for this event which I didn’t include in the AIP above but will be part of the document package I will share with the board during the drafting stage. They have a strong team and I am confident in an equally strong and timely delivery.

The event’s team have already provided us with a list of third party vendors they work with in areas such as AV equipment and staff, custom lighting, entertainment crew, decorations, etc. If/when this AIP goes through a vote and passes, I will make booking arrangements with the chosen vendors at the same time as finalizing our contract with the TWA Hotel followed by regular meetings to finalize execution details.

Regarding live music, I have already made incredible arrangements which will be a surprise so I can’t share much details here but will share with the board during the drafting stage for transparency reasons.

As for the visual content creation (video and photography plus 360 degrees live streaming of event’s highlights): Given my background as a filmmaker and director of a media production company IRL, I already have access to a stellar and professional team of filmmakers (including VR filmmaker) but also the opportunity is open to existing filmmakers and media agencies within the ape ecosystem to get involved. Just to be clear, neither myself nor my company will be paid to do this work. I will only draw from my existing network of people where needed and my personal experience as a film director/producer to make sure we have a powerful output that will increase the longevity of event’s impact. I am also delighted to have already received interest in this department from other apes and look forward to combining efforts to deliver a service and product of great value that can be consumed and enjoyed by the whole community whether or not they can make it to the event in person.

Same goes for any licensed bored ape or mutant brands who may want to partner with the event production team to bring more swag and a wider range of ape branded items to the event. This opportunity is open to all and I will make an effort to raise awareness via social media platforms to invite interested parties to be represented.

There’s also a budget for partnering with a local events production agency to further facilitate and monitor efforts between different departments in the run up to the event AND on the day of the event. I have received a few recommendations for such a service from OG web3 event organizers in my circle and am open to other recommendations or self nominations by members of the ape community. I have also been in touch with the amazing team at TokenProof with a stellar track record in web3 ticketing logistics and look forward to collaborating on this event once/if this AIP is voted for.

The tech support is offered by the amazing team at Manifold and again they have their own timeline and steps for implementation which I will not be micromanaging but you can refer to the implementation plan indicating the timeline; moreover, the bulk of tech that is required for our project is already developed by Manifold which further facilitates planning and execution.

Our art department has already got into work and we have prototype designs for example for the ticket and website amongst other things.

I hope I haven’t left any aspect out. I can see that my reply is getting very long already and I still haven’t addressed your 2 other questions! Let’s now get to those but if you or anyone else have any questions about event’s management, please feel free to get in touch and I can offer more details and information.

1. Regarding the raffle or guest-list curation, my current understanding is that this does not require licensing due to a few combined factors: a) It is free to take part, in other words, people don’t make a payment in exchange for a chance to win something which is what they do in regulated raffles defined as “games in which a participant pays money in return for a ticket or other receipt and a prize is awarded on the basis of a randomly selected winning number(s), color(s), or symbol(s) designated on the ticket or receipt (NYC Gov).” b) The free draw is not for a “prize”. Winners will have the opportunity to be on the guest-list for an event if they choose to acquire a refundable ticket to that event.

In any case, I will discuss the topic with Cartan during the drafting stage to be absolutely sure and make an effort to choose a more suited language to describe the ticketing mechanism that won’t be confused with other forms of raffles that require a licence. Thanks for bringing it up!

1. Concerns about what the broader NFT community might think of Apecoin DAO empowering a most inclusive, high quality, and unique IRL event for its community: I think their perception will highly depend on how much knowledge they will have about the nature of the event. Firstly, this event can be seen as an invitation to anyone in the wider NFT community to join the ape ecosystem, for the first time without any financial barrier to entry. So, while the event is not cheap in any sense of the word, it can potentially benefit anyone who joins our community and especially the DAO. I believe in the power of narrative and will do everything in my power to make sure that we communicate a transparent and powerful narrative geared around ideas of tangible value, inclusivity, adoption and philanthropy.

As you know, events of such high calibre and luxury nature are not unseen in web3. What is different here is that a) such events are usually private affairs for a relatively few guests (say up to 100 ppl) who happen to be generally high net worth individuals. Our event would have of course cost much less if it was designed for such a limited and targeted guest-list. But then it would not be inclusive which is what I think we are lacking in the current web3 climate.

That being said, my priority is the perception of our own community both within the Apecoin DAO and the wider ape ecosystem as direct patrons and beneficiaries of this project. At the end of the day, we are a diverse community and everyone has a different understanding of what constitutes “value”. My aim has been to create an event that can potentially benefit everyone within the ecosystem in a fair, tangible and meaningful way. I have thought long and hard about ways in which we can extend the event’s “utility” beyond the IRL event itself. This is reflected in the ticketing mechanism, the visual content creation component, the created space and opportunity for networking and socializing between DAO members, and a year-long program pf philanthropy with regular updates and communication with the community. I believe that this project fulfils the DAO’s guiding values in a meaningful and actionable way. This is something that we can collectively afford to pull off and I hope that I have done a decent job to lead the cause and make a case for this project in consideration of our guiding values:

‘Boldness: We don’t shy away from the weird, the hard, or the new.

Equality: One APE equals one APE.

Transparency: Processes and decisions are shared openly with the community.

Collective Responsibility: We leave everything better than we found it.

Persistence: Success is an ouroboros, not a straight line.”

Thank you for reading through! :raised_hands: I hope I have answered your questions! :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Hi @JtotheT :wave: Thank you so much for commenting. I hope that the event being held at JFK airport will make it more affordable in terms of travel arrangements by eliminating the need for accommodation in the city. Always happy to hear any suggestions on how to make it more affordable. Do get in touch please if you have any ideas or concerns. would love to hear from you. :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Thank you @0xSword for your comment. Im always happy to hear any ideas you or others may have to make the event even more inclusive and/or affordable for the community. Really appreciate your presence and engagement in the DAO. :pray: :raised_hands:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @Novocrypto for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Novocrypto please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson

2 Likes

Hey hey hey @Novocrypto,

Thanks for the detailed answers. Here’s where we can agree:

• Raffles – messaging and verbiage is key, especially when asking for money even if refundable – look forward to the takeaways from your conversations with Cartan Group
  • Perception - narrative, and again messaging is key – this is obviously your forte, and while we cannot control how others may perceive the event, your framing of the party in a positive and inclusive manner will no doubt provide the right talking points for the community
  • This could be a great learning, albeit pricey, exercise

Here’s where you and I can agree to disagree:

• Timing – perhaps you are right, and that 5 months is enough time to pull-off a first-time event of this size - however, it might be tight when we take into account the AIP process, the funding (by the way, will you form an LLC?), the contracts, unions, etc – hopefully, you’re right and I’m just being a troglodyte :laughing:

All that said, I appreciate you being an active member of the DAO and again applaud you for the work done to date on this AIP. I hope my questions sparked you and your team to prepare for any examinations that may arise in the Draft Stage.

Happy to help if I’m able – cheers :smile:

SSP✌🏽

5 Likes

Valid concern about the timing @ssp1111

As an event planning company, I can tell you that people can work miracles once they get their retainers :rofl: Especially during holiday season, because that’s when we go into the black for the year. It’s understood that things get hectic, and any company worth their salt have measures in place.

Everything @Novocrypto said seems pretty doable within the time period given, assuming that funds are forwarded to them fast enough so that everyone gets their front money and milestone payments on time. I can’t wait to see it myself, and win the raffle and meet all of you in person this New Year’s!

5 Likes

Thank you SSP for your thoughtful and constructive feedback.:orange_heart: Happy to agree on all the points you mentioned. :handshake:

I understand your worries about the timeline and your questions about my ability to pull this off in the given timeframe. I won’t be able to create the same level of confidence in you as I find in myself but I can share one example from the past that I think is relevant because it shows us what “has been” possible in much more challenging circumstances:

Rewind the clock to the end of September 2021. The news of the first Apefest is announced: there will be a yacht party for 1000 people in NYC, a warehouse party also for 1000 guests, a high-end charity dinner and epic merch drop IRL and for delivery. All to happen by Halloween! It’s been only 5 months since BAYC launched and the first time an “NFT event” of this size is to be held with minimal existing tech infrastructure (huge difference when compared to Apefest 2022).

Recipe for disaster? Luckily we now know that it was a blast thanks to superhuman efforts of Yuga founders and exceptional community members such as Josh and many others who joined forces to make the dream become a reality. I believe, and curious to know if you agree, that one of the important reasons behind the success of bored apes as a brand AND a community is Apefest! Apefest 2021 was so much more than an expensive party over 2-3 days. It provided the space for the community to come to life in unparalleled ways that are still echoing in the ecosystem and beyond.

Now I have no intention of even comparing my own efforts and/or calibre to that of the legends who made Apefest a reality in such insanely challenging circumstances. But I thought it might help us put things into perspective in terms of similar challenges that we face today organizing a 1000 people event and extra opportunities that we now have.

We have at least as much time if not more to deliver. Each part of the project is handled by individuals and teams with a track record of delivering from dev support (Manifold) to ticketing support (TokenProof) to food, beverages and the bulk of staffing (TWA Hotel by MRC Hotels, the 3rd largest in the US), to other details which are also open to the (now matured) community for collaborations and sponsorships. Some of these collabs are already in progress and I look forward to making more connections and involving more licensed apes and mutants as soon as the event is funded.

My role as the non-profit executive event’s producer is to coordinate and streamline the efforts of different departments with the help of a professional local event’s production team to ensure continuity and risk management throughout the process while building a powerful narrative of inclusivity, utility and philanthropy.

There are different approaches to how this will work on paper from an accounting and legal perspective. One solution is to go down the LLC path which I have already outlined and scheduled in conversation with a colleague who is a blockchain/crypto lawyer and assume will be a topic for discussion during the draft stage. As you know proposal owners are also doxxed to the board and Cartan so there’s another level of accountability and transparency there. From a more practical perspective, I am planning to secure those parts of the funds that will either not be used immediately or at all (for example the 10% contingency budget), separately in a multisig wallet with signatories from the community as a project vault. The fund for the philanthropy component will be in a separate multisig wallet and managed over 1 year in instalments subject to deliverables and assessments. Any funds not used will be refunded to the DAO.

The TWA Hotel is owned privately and I don’t see any challenge with unions in this area but I will make sure to discuss further with the providers and third party vendors in all departments to avoid any misunderstandings or issues. Most contracts and agreements are already in place or have been provisionally discussed. What remains open is an opportunity for community members within the ape ecosystem to get involved in the event planning, production and delivery with their own products, services and ideas.

There is a strong focus in this proposal on transparency and making sure the community is informed, involved and benefits from the event. This will be followed up by regular spaces in collaboration with other community members to raise awareness for promotional and educational purposes. In short, I see this as a unique opportunity to bring the Apecoin community together IRL, create tangible value for everyone involved beyond the event itself and showcase one of the use cases of the DAO and Apecoin as a Utility Token both in terms of governance and philanthropy. I’m confident in our ability to execute on this event and have a solid plan in place. Also excited to see more IRL event proposals and look forward to working with the community to make them a success! :saluting_face::handshake::partying_face:

5 Likes

Heck yeah – all good!
:laughing::metal:t4::tada::boom::soccer:

4 Likes

Very excited to see what our community can do if this AIP passes! :slight_smile:

4 Likes