AIP-13: APE FOUNDATION Merch - Top Drawer - Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Abstract

Utilizing the Ape Foundation IP, give Papasito the discretion to work with professionals to design $APE merch echoing the Ape Fest 2021 merch with a unique design pertaining to the DAO to generate revenue.

Motivation

Utilize a full-service merch company to streamline the process, create a merch drop for only ape coin holders, that is limited in quantity to generate revenue for the DAO.

Rationale

Merch has and always will be a source of notoriety for BAYC, and we within the APE COIN DAO should capitalize on the trail they blazed by creating merch with the IP Yuga gifted us. It should be new but also conserve the spirit of the BAYC merch to provide buyers with instant recognition. This will generate revenue for the DAO, add utility to $APE and help us to grow as the merch becomes trendy.

Specifications

Utilizing the APE Foundation IP work with Top Drawer Merch to design and successfully implement a merch drop that is for Ape Coin holders only, has a limited window and only purchasable through Apecoin.com with APE COIN.

Any ApeCoin not used from the budget will return to the DAO ecosystem fund.

Papasito will have no stake in the profits, all profits will go to the DAO ecosystem fund.

Details on all the sales and the profits that were made will be made available to the ApeCoin DAO community after the merch sale.

Steps to Implement

1: Mock designs created (already done)

2: Funds transferred to Papasito

3: Utilizing a full-service company have them design and prepare to fulfil a merch drop. Designs will be approved by Papasito before being finalized.

4: Design and create online store with simple UI based on apecoin.com that only allows the merch to be purchased in ApeCoin.

5: Store opens to all ape coin holders with a limited window to purchase.

6: Profits and any unused funds are transferred to the DAO ecosystem fund as well as records of sales and usage of funds made available to the community after the sale.

Timeline

This would go into effect immediately if this AIP passes, merch designs will be finalized and the store tab for the website will be built and implemented before the merch sale goes live. Regular updates will be given to allow people to prepare for the merch drop.

Overall Cost

Use a maximum of 130K USD equivalent in ApeCoin from the DAO treasury to accomplish all tasks.

13 Likes

The costs of store creation is far too high. How did you come to these estimates and what experience do you have with this market?

7 Likes

The purpose of the AIP Analysis Report is to square away all those costs, I also mentioned advertising and other costs such as hiring employees temporarily for customer support.

2 Likes

Will the ApeCoin DAO receive the profits from this investment? Will you be developing a payment solution with ApeCoin? I would definitely buy some merch, but I’m not sure an investment is needed?

4 Likes

The DAO would generate 100 percent of the profits.

5 Likes

Hi,

Why do you feel the costs for the creation of the store is too high? Based on what data or experience?

What would you estimate as a more accurate figure?

1 Like

How do you envision that capital flow and contractual obligations to work?

Hey! I feel the store development costs are expensive because there are services like Shopify or otherwise that can be quickly deployed. There are also merchandise dropshipping services to reduce all upfront costs to near $0.

Essentially if a person at home can deploy a store for few hundred dollars, I see no need to build a storefront from scratch. Does that make sense?

From a practical standpoint I see a lot of people remaking the wheel over and over. I can deploy a really nice functional store with limited edition merchandise for very little $$. I can even token gate certain items for a bit more w/ developer skills!

Having said that, for the benefit of the community and ecosystem, i think there’s a happy middle between my “maximum money for DAO” direction and others ideas. I’m a team player here!

11 Likes

I would not personally be developing the payment solution, such is why I allocated 30K for such things in the proposal.

To me it makes sense for the DAO to do the investing and for the DAO to generate all the revenue. For it is the DAO that owns the IP.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @Papasito for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Papasito please see your messages for the next steps.

4 Likes

This proposal will be live for Snapshot vote on May 26, 2022 at 9PM ET. You can find the Snapshot vote here

The voting period will close on June 1, 2022 at 9PM ET.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimise for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

The voting has closed for this proposal and it has not been accepted. This proposal may be resubmitted through the AIP governance process while highlighting the proposed changes from the original.

This Topic will be moved to and remain in the Reject AIPs subcategory.

-rabbit