AIP-140: Integrate with Catapult to refine DAO Onboarding & Participation

I hear ya. So I went through the onboarding process, and it was a lot longer than the projects I mentioned in my project above, which just required a pretty simple email-type onboarding.

I really don’t like those Typeform onboarding processes. I didn’t finish it, because I’m an anon-lover, and I want to rep those kinds of people in this forum. Anon-types won’t like all of those questions.

What advantages does your platform offer over ApeClub (e.g.) for all the info you gather during that Typeform? If I’m giving up info in web3, I’m expecting an immediate return.

Glad to talk about the process and what you plan to do. Feel free to get in touch over Discourse or through any other social media medium. Like, I feel like you could answer my question if you just visited ApeClub and contrasted your platform against theirs. I still don’t have any answer about it. I’m doing a proposal, so I know how hard it is to face down direct questioning, but even with that on the table, I gotta ask. If I’m asking for hard earned capital, I’m answering questions. Bottom line.

– Mantis

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @lior.eth,

Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 24 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Escape

Hi Escape. Ready to move forward in the Draft process.

Thanks a bunch.

I hear you on the bidding process we could work into many similar initiatives. In my opinion, at the end of the day some teams will be really motivated to work with our community and some will develop similar solutions outside of our ecosystem. I’d prefer to encourage this close relationship we can create with builders than lose that magic in lengthy bureaucratic steps, especially if the answers won’t be clear for some time from now.

My perspective on all this is that there are many ways to address similar pain points, and so even from that standpoint, it is perhaps detrimental to call on one single team to try to solve these pain points for our community at once. Thus, driving this in unison with other solutions in mind sounds to me like a more feasible plan than establishing a bidding process for each engagement we foresee as a community, due to the clear operational bottlenecks which could stifle adoption of best-in-class tools & services.

We should perhaps revisit the bidding process and define which community ideas really fit into a process like this. Until then, I’m confident that the way in which past proposals have been put to action is likely a safer way for us to gauge genuine interest from the community and our various stakeholders.

Thanks a lot for the thoughts you’ve put into your comment, Giacolmo. I’ll definitely keep on thinking about the questions you’ve raised as we move into the next phases of this idea. If you’d like to join our steering committee for this proposal, feel free to join us!

All the best,
Lior

5 Likes

Thanks @lior.eth for the thorough reply, I also think that community-led proposals are the most welcome and especially when they are well thought and respond to actual needs, like in this case. Appreciate your invite and indeed I would be happy to provide my any contribution to this interesting project! :+1:

Best
giacolmo

3 Likes

Thank you @lior.eth for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @lior.eth please see your messages for the next steps.

-Escape

Love this idea! Will definitely add more context to each member so that even newcomers can explore the community in a more detailed way. Great work!

9 Likes

I like this. Looks like a game changer for DAO onboarding and collaboration.

7 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@lior.eth has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Escape

5 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @lior.eth’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

We’ll be hosted by @lior.eth on a twitter space this Monday. We’ll be discussing the proposal further and would love to have all of you there and to answer any questions.

Please see some more details here: https://twitter.com/lior_eth/status/1589069181282320384?s=20&t=vsA7v_fb3ab2SwlcvHxQpA

Can’t wait!

6 Likes

You mentioned that DAOs like Aragon and Indexcoop use Catapult. Is there a finished product that one can demo?

7 Likes

Giving this a bump. Spaces starts in about 10 min. Good opportunity to ask any questions you might have

4 Likes

Hey Cardo,

Yes, for sure!

You can find a demo of the Index Coop onboarding flow here: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

And a demo of the Home area within Aragon’s space here: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Both are live with the respective DAOs. Do let us know if you have any followups! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are still opportunities for rewarding participation in a distinct staking pool! It could potentially be built in conjunction with the existing Ape staking program by adding a new pool administered by the same team (Horizen) but with different source of funding and staking rules; or such a pool could be set up independently by a team of DAO contributors as a new AIP. I’ve had some ideas on how to make such a plan functional, especially when thinking of ways we can channel potential revenue from one AIP back to the community without endangering DAO’s legal structure as a non-for-profit granting body.

I’ll share the thoughts and research in more details as an AIP Idea as soon as possible. Just wanted to chime in and say that the main staking ship may have sailed already (well, almost! lol) but there are still tons more at the shore to hop on or we could build our own boat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @lior.eth and all for putting together such an interesting and well presented proposal on a very important topic. I love the idea and it’s great to learn about the relationship that you have already built with the team at Catapult. It was also great to hear from the team directly here. This clearly shows everyone’s passion for the project and their commitment to informing the community about its processes and benefits. I’m all for this happening and would be the first to start using it! I can see the unique aspects of what it offers that I haven’t seen any other platform offer.

I just have one question about onboarding and adoption by the wider Ape and Apecoin holder community. What “marketing” strategies do you have in mind for encouraging people to sign up to and use this tool? If people are not already participating in DAO’s governance whether via contribution to discussions in the forum or by voting on snapshot, then is it likely that they would suddenly want to join the DAO by creating a profile on a new website/app? And if they are already voting, how would you connect with the voters to onboard to Catapult once the vote is done? Many voters are anonymous and its hard to keep the conversation going beyond Snapshot!

I like your incentivization strategy but doubt many will be incentivized to join based on the possibility of earning 2 $apes. I can imagine onboarding would be much easier once/if we have an official Apecoin Discord where you could find people who are already aware of and interested in the DAO. This as opposed to outreach strategy on Twitter for example where as you also mentioned the community is scattered in an unorganized manner across different projects and interests.

It seems like we are once again dealing with a Catch-22 situation! I’m myself constantly trying to think of solutions for encouraging more people to experience De-Gov via Apecoin DAO especially the bored ape community as well as others whose entry point into the ape ecosystem is via apecoin alone. There are huge opportunities here for anyone who wants to be involved if only they were involved enough already to hear about the opportunities!

5 Likes

Thank you Novocrypto - you make some great points and it’s one we’ve been thinking a lot about too…

Building an awesome tool is worthless if nobody uses it. The APE incentive is a part of how we’re thinking about maximising early adoption and building a little buzz / awareness. We’re also looking to layer in a Catapult funded incentive (POAP / NFT to indicate early adoption).

We’re students of the ‘cold start’ problem and will roll out very intentionally, starting with as many of the most visible Apes as we can reach and feeding pockets of engagement as they emerge.

Then we’ll enter into what will probably be many waves of activation where work hard to bring value to the community, in a way where our product can be most helpful. The first idea we’re going to test here is the idea of co-hosting / organising community speed networking events, where your profile is both your ticket and also the information that helps kick start amazing discussions…

Getting the discord (or any central communication platform) up and running will be helpful too. For example, we can set up a bot to pull key info from new profiles that are created in Catapult (bio, PFP, and community roles etc) into a dedicated intros channel. If it sparks interest / ideas for anyone you can link through to their profile, see more about them, and potentially connect.

In short, there is no one solution. It’s a hard problem. But, like you, we’re in it for the long haul.

p.s. shameless steering committee plug - would love you to bring some of this thinking into the team :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@lior.eth has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes