AIP-144: Establish Moderator Response Time Guideline

I don’t agree with this particular ethos. No one should be proud of breaking things.

Although, I agree with your other point. We’ve seen too many time sensitive AIP’s fail to hit snapshot in time.

There has to be a balance here.

2 Likes

I’ve thought a lot about my prior comment and I agree in part. I doubt that this conversation would be happening at all if delays were limited to 10-14 days.

5 weeks pending is along time. Hypothetically imagine a 16 week delay. What is a DAO member or community to do if they’re handcuffed to waiting with no response or escalation? There must be a path to self-help in this hypothetical. Similar to how a bill becomes law after x days if a governor does not sign it.

I refreshed my knowledge of the mod/admin’s responsibilities and it reads:

Administrators don’t make decisions for the DAO but ensure the processes and rules put into place by the DAO’s initial AIPs are followed. Day-to-day this involves:

*Ensuring Discourse posts follow community guidelines and are open/closed at the right time.
*Reviewing AIP drafts to make sure they are sufficiently detailed.
*Preparing AIP analysis reports for the Special Council to help them review and assess drafts.
*Supporting the drafting and amplification of community ideas.

AT A MINIMUM, mods should post a weekly update stating the current pending action AND who owns that action.

It’s possible and likely IMO that often the owner of the open action item is the Special Council and the mods are pending their response.

3 Likes

I’m just like, make the mods responsible for their behavior. If they hold up a process for 3 months, they have to have a reason, and they have to report that reason.

I think if AIP-10278 gets pushed through by mods before AIP-10277, mods have to report why. Then community support could force the mods into action and that could be a check on their power. That would fix a lot of my issues without forcing mods to break things.

If the mods ignore community sentiment, then they are up to get primaried. Does the DAO’s current structure allow for a mfer to get his monkey a** primaried for engaging in dumb s*** contrary to community wishes?

3 Likes

I complete agree on this and I love the idea of the proposal.
We generally need more accountability and detailed insights.

4 Likes

Are Moderators people hired by Cartan Group, or by the Special Council?

3 Likes

I would say that a Moderator has 24h to respond, 7 days seems too long. I don’t know how big the team is and how much time they dedicate to the DAO, but generally speaking they should be active and should be one of their top priorities to respond within the DAO and to the community.

2 Likes

Love the initiative Vulkan!

2 Likes

Yes, moderators are the ApeCoin Administrators. In this case, the Cartan Group.

To your other point of requiring moderators to respond in 24 hours, I think is just unreasonable. It can take well over 24 hours to dissect an AIP and get the answers to the questions they have.

3 Likes

I do agree with Amplify 24 hours is too quick because often times the responses require Cartan going to others for questions/clarifications and/or doing research on things like legal ramnifications and background checks.

I am even worried 7 days might be too quick. Right now it’s probably fine but as activity levels picks up it might be more difficult. That being said, we still need some kind of guideline to make the process more efficient.

There have already been a few proposals that didn’t get executed because they missed the project’s internal deadlines.

5 Likes

Yeah you guys might be right @Amplify regarding the 24h response notice, it’s not like answering an email right? Maybe they have to do the proper background checks and all and that takes time, didn’t take that into consideration. 7 days seems reasonable though.

3 Likes

I don’t think you put any time limit on it. I do think you get them to explain if proposals skip the line ahead of yours.

And actually, I’m not for just NO time limit. There needs to be something. 2 weeks after mods return proposals for questioning. At that point, they must respond, even if it is just to say that we have not been able to properly vet this legally or whatever. Then the DAO must decide whether to take the risk of voting up something that hasn’t been “properly” audited.

Kind of reminds me of the staking decision. But at least with that decision, the power rested in the hands of the DAO, where it should be. All decisions should be that way IMHO. No black boxes in a DAO.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Vulkan

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Escape

3 Likes

Hey Escape, I believe Vulkan moved this Proposal to: AIP-142: Establish Communication Team (ApeComms)

Edit: My bad, Vulkan just said that AIP-142 is not merged with this proposal.

Regards,

Moonlyght

1 Like

Hi @Escape I am content with feedback received. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @Moonlyght these are different. While AIP-142 focuses on establishing a Communications team consisting of members from the community, this AIP idea I have here focuses on the proposal process, specifically response times from the Ape Foundation.

5 Likes

Oh… my bad then, I thought I read somewhere this morning that this proposal was merged with the AIP-142, apologies.

1 Like

No worries! You’re probably thinking of another proposal I had out there. Both started with “Establish.” I need better naming ideas :smiley:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.