AIP-168: The Legend of ApeCoin: Atrium Casting Call

Hi all,

Wanted to provide an update on how we imagine the viewer experience for the Legend of ApeCoin series. Our vision was very similar to the web app that was released on the Trial of Jimmy site.

I have attached some mock ups below.

:pray:t3:

6 Likes

One of the things I wanted to highlight is the benefit that a cadence of animated content gives us from a planning perspective.

Being able to have 12 animations that roll out every two weeks after the first one would truly set us apart from others in the space.

Happy New Year all.

6 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

We have sent a list of follow up questions. We await answers.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

@Anaroth has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

@Anaroth has updated their Draft and it is in our review once again. You can check out the changes by clicking the pencil icon at the top right of the post.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

Have spoken to Supriyo personally –

I love the idea of narrative focused media being funded by the DAO, but anyone with entertainment experience will tell you capitalizing a project without a very clear marketing and distribution strategy is a gamble at best, and wasteful at worst.

The DAO shouldn’t take small bets on tests imho, there should be a few concerted big bets on fully fleshed out series’ that can evolve with the community, and a distribution strategy that’s focused on growing brand awareness and mainstream adoption.

If you produce say, 240minutes of animation (20 twelve minute episodes) you’re looking at a high cost, but also a VERY substantial runway before completion. We need a parallel marketing and growth strategy so that when the show is complete it draws as many eyeballs as possible and is leveraged for growth in new exciting ancillary markets.

That Said, This team has proven themselves incredibly talented animators and I think they would be a great collaborator towards that.

5 Likes

The idea looks cool and visually stunning, but it feels like the only people motivated to watch these series would be Yuga asset holders. Do you think that the storytelling and message of the production will appeal to outsiders (people who are not native or know anything about crypto in general) too?

As Cameron mentioned above “capitalizing a project without a very clear marketing and distribution strategy is a gamble at best, and wasteful at worst.” and I agree here, undoubtedly the artistic side looks solid and feels promising, what I wonder is how do you plan to execute on the marketing and distribution side of things.

Great work nevertheless. I love to see this kind of initiative that can potentially help onboard more people into the ecosystem!

3 Likes

These are some great thoughts and comments.
Thank you everyone.

Some high level comments in response below -

Today canon is being produced by the Yuga ecosystem i.e. Jimmy trial, Otherside and the realm of Kodas, 10ktf and the Kaiju Saga etc.

• These are all made top-down; beautiful BUT mainly centrally conceived & brand-defined stories.

Biggest challenges for community co-created content today -

• Struggle to have high production value (production is expensive)
  • Not enough workflows in place to identify promising community co-creators for powerful fan generated content.

If you are not tapping into distributed creative talent approaching the DAO to change that, it’s a missed opportunity.

Intent (specifically to this proposal) is -

• Can Atrium & Apecoin (perhaps others too) open the doors & be a springboard for making cinematic production more accessible for community created content (DAO powered).
  • Effectively let the community / market self-curate it post release & determine which ones have naturally a better allure and staying power to take those stories or characters further.
4 Likes

Continued …

In less than favorable macro-economical climate, being frugal in testing out the thesis is also the spirit of the proposal than betting really big in one concentrated direction (unless you are really sure of the bet).

The proposal cost here, for essentially identifying promising plotlines from the wide community, is negligible compared to for e.g. a bigger bet like a 12-15 min runtime multi episode series like LDR with similar quality (the entire series could be looking at a multi-million $ cost to make it)

Having said all that, A proper episodic series with an experienced producer attached to it - is an amazing opportunity with potential of revenue in ancillary markets. @CameronMoulene and NFF are trailblazers in the cryptonative community in that regard and we have already been talking on figuring out potential pathways (perhaps a bigger show indeed :eyes:) that brings lasting impact to the DAO and the participating community.

6 Likes

We have sent a list of follow up questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

1 Like

@Anaroth has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking a lot about this proposal and the quality of animations @Anaroth and his team put together. I also appreciate how the Apes are represented. Very warm, family friendly, fun… I’m wondering if there’s some broader thinking we could incorporate on these. A catalyst to help maximize the spend.

Maybe a storyline where each video connects to one another and gets dripped out on a weekly basis to grow viewer attention on Twitter; with a variety of ApeCoin related easter eggs and some sort of end goal. Perhaps even encouraging viewer participation.

Another option might be that when put together, the clips form one meaningful short that could be shown at film festivals or used for advertising purposes. Would be huge to help market the DAO and ApeCoin as a whole.

Absolutely love the work.

AC

3 Likes

I love that the AIP is on your mind @AllCityBAYC

Let me dive in here a little bit.

This is exactly where we see the opportunity to connect the animations using the theme of ApeCoin. As ApeCoin is our IP its a great way for us to begin telling the legend of ApeCoin with the cast of passionate characters from all over the community. The animators of Atrium will be able to thread the needle of story throughout them and allow for the community to be captivated by one of the first cadenced web3 rollouts.

This brings me to your other point here about rolling them out on a weekly basis, we currently are expecting a cadence that would be about every other week. The goal here is exactly what you mention above, to create a cadence of content for the community.

Another great thought here, and part of the reason we are looking to identify key characters that garner a lot of attention throughout these first shorts. By building a foundation of characters we will be able to see those that gain traction and come back to put together a focused short on the most well received characters.

I think one of the first things we have to do is normalize content production first. When people expect these short animations we are building the attention span to be captivated by something longer.

Hope this answers some of your questions and appreciate your thoughts as always.

Anaroth

3 Likes

We have no further questions for @Anaroth. This AIP is now with the Special Council for Administrative Review.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

4 Likes

Beautiful… Lotsa love brotha.

Can’t wait to see :muscle: :muscle:

AC

3 Likes

After review, this Topic submitted by @Anaroth is ready for vote. The proposal will be posted on Snapshot at the next weekly release, which is every Thursday at 9PM ET.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

Hello Community,

This proposal has been posted on Snapshot and will shortly be available for voting. The voting period will last until next Wednesday, the 25th of January, 2023 at 21.00 EST (02.00 UTC on the 26th).

You may cast your votes here.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimize for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

Best,
-mallard

4 Likes

The voting has closed for this proposal and it has not been accepted.

This Topic will be moved to and remain in the Reject AIPs subcategory.

-moonkt

1 Like