AIP-175: Establish ApeComms

Big red flag for their team!

I believe this is not just a money grabbing, but also they want to take more power in our community. If they win, anyone who wants his proposal to pass will have to pay them a bribe in one or another way, for example by publically spread comments about how good they are.

1 Like

Hi Swarm,

I have addressed your concern previously on our original post, it didn’t seem like you were comfortable sharing any details. I’ve sent you a DM in hopes that we can clarify. It’s unfortunate that your proposal for an animated show did not reach consensus, likewise, our original proposal was not approved. We certainly don’t have any power to decide which approvals are passed. Our services are educational and to date - complimentary. We’ve turned down several offers for compensation, and paid positions, from members of the community.

Thank you for your consideration,
Lost
:gorilla::orange_heart:

7 Likes

Hey @culturecodes.art,

We’ve now made several edits to the formatting here to address this concern. There is a challenging balance here between including all of the relevant information and keeping it short/simple. We’ve noted previously that the community prefers to have all of the information present in the proposal, but would also like a pitch deck style presentation. We’ve now included an easy to read Pitch Deck at the top, under the Abstract, which should also carry over to the Snapshot voting page for maximum exposure. We’re always open to any direct feedback regarding the ApeComms proposal/initiative.

Thank you,
Lost
:gorilla: :orange_heart:

5 Likes

Hi @Escape,

We’re ready to move into the AIP Draft process. We have followed the AIP Draft Resubmission Template since our original AIP, AIP-142, was not approved at Snapshot.

Thank you,
Lost
:gorilla: :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I appreciate all that you have done and keep doing to enhance communications for DAO members.

I am all for supporting active builders in our small community of DAO participants. It is teams like yours that help us grow the DAO itself. I also appreciate that not every ape holder would consider themselves a direct beneficiary of your services so may be seeing this proposal from a different perspective. In any event, I’d like to encourage everyone to voice their concerns without feeling the need to resort to moral judgments about other people’s motives or use of disrespectful language which is unnecessary and counter productive.

My view on your proposal and its “value for money” is informed by my experience as an active builder within the ape ecosystem and Apecoin DAO. I do see a need for a lot of services that you are offering, some of which have urgency in my view again as someone who is very much engaged in the community and an active builder. This doesn’t mean that I would do things exactly as you describe if it was me offering these services. Then again I’m not offering this proposal so I try not to micromanage your workflow and cost analysis. I see enough value (not otherwise offered by anyone else as of now) to warrant funding by the DAO.

Unfortunately, you are facing a catch22 situation though which is none of your fault. Many voters may struggle to see the value you are offering if they don’t consider themselves as a direct beneficiary of your services! As we know, an incredibly small percentage of DAO members have shown interest in participating in discussions or even fewer who have submitted an AIP in the forum (whether you consider unique $ape holders or even those who vote on Snapchat). This number could be higher if our DAO benefitted from better communications infrastructure. Currently we can only communicate on discourse and in relation to certain AIPs. Our community doesn’t have anywhere else to go to meet and interact with each other! Interactions on Twitter are scattered and we’re kind of not allowed to talk about the DAO or Apecoin on any Yuga owned servers! This situation is not at all conducive to community building around Apecoin. Apecomms offers to improve this! Now some stated doubt whether such a discord server would be popular or even used! We wouldn’t know until we give it a try! For this reason, I think a compromise could be working on a 1-2 month trial basis if apecomms team is willing to try such an arrangement. Given they are already delivering many of the proposed services on a pro bono basis (thank you for that), I think this could be a working solution to creating more common ground and alliance of interests and needs in the community.

Others have raised concerns over possibility of overlapping services and assumed responsibilities between ape foundation admins, special council members and apecomms. Without going too much into detail on this or repeating Apecomms explanations, I just say two things: first, yes, we must be cost effective and operationally efficient, and make sure we are not duplicating roles whether they are paid or not. Having said that, I still believe there’s room for a communications team consisted of active DAO members with a track record of delivering in areas that are covered by this proposal. But again, this is my view as an active member who sees the need for DAO to have a dedicated community driven communications team. Others may not yet see that need especially $ape holders who are more interested in Apecoin’s usecase as a passive De-Fi token as compared to a participatory and social token for De-Gov.

To allow others to also see the impact that your work could have on the growth and success of Apecoin community, I suggest considering a shorter (fully paid) trial period. This should give enough time also for the new Special Council to settle in and for more clarification on how each new Council member will approach communications. Moreover, Cartan have already posted their AIP with a new and expanded scope of work as well as what will fall outside their scope, for example they won’t be offering a dedicated and official discord server.

Given the timeline for inauguration of the new Special Council and end of first term for Cartan, I think a 1-2 month trial period with apecomms would be nothing but beneficial to the Apecoin community, if not necessary during any unforeseen transition period.

Thanks again apecomms for your work and contributions. I hope that we can find common ground in the community and find a way to support you in your efforts in a fair, productive and sustainable way.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @Lost for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Lost please see your messages for the next steps.

-Escape

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Lost has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Escape

6 Likes

Hello everybody, I’m Halina! I’m excited to get to know you all and collaborate towards building a thriving ecosystem for ApeCoin DAO as a member of ApeComms.

I’m a longtime MAYC holder and founder/cofounder of the @BoredCalifornia and @Chinese_ApeClub BAYC communities. I’m also an active member of communities such as the Mutant Cartel, Pink DAO, and Ladies of BAYC.

As a newer contributor to the ApeCoin DAO, the learning curve to becoming a meaningful DAO participant has been top of mind when I think of how we can catalyze brilliant ideas & attract talent.

I believe in ApeComms’ ability to lower this learning curve, with not only the public Discord and weekly Monday/Friday Twitter spaces, but also visual infographics breaking down AIPs so information is more easily shareable on platforms beyond Discourse, such as Twitter, Discord, and other group chats.

I’m thrilled to work on designing some of our visual content including our pitch deck and team infographic, and am hopeful that more digestible and sharable graphics to come will spark interest and empower new members to contribute with us!

The opportunity to embolden other builders in this space is also one I’m beyond excited to fulfill with the ApeComms team. I can’t wait to get to know everyone and bring forth our combined potential!

~Halina.eth :cherry_blossom:

P.S. Introducing our team!

18 Likes

Thank you for sharing @Halina.eth. It’s great to put a visual to your efforts. The value the ApeComms team is adding to the ecosystem is tremendous. I will certainly be taking advantage of it.

10 Likes

hi @Halina.eth and @Lost, just for my education, why doesn’t the ape coin foundation just create the discord server and then just deal with paid roles after the fact. for example, this apecoin forum, the foundation just created it correct?

if there is a constitution written for the apecoin foundation, it might be useful to put some language in there that explains apecomms wouldn’t have too much power over apecoin governance. this may calm members who are not in agreement with this AIP.

3 Likes

Thoughtful and well-reasoned as always. I honestly doubt however that the critics of this would have their minds changed if the Comms team were to shorten the period for trial purposes, but it’s a great idea and perhaps worth exploring. I of course echo your sentiments here.

5 Likes

LOVE this Halina. As others have mentioned, creating compelling visuals are often a great way to engage others, so thank you for putting this together.

7 Likes

My presumption would be that they’d need to have a team of people accountable for the day-to-day operations of the Discord channel. Without any direct official oversight, things could get out of hand in a way that could prove detrimental to the ApeCoin DAO.

5 Likes

I see. I have only worked or been a part of projects that create their own discord server. I find it kinda odd that the ApeCoin Foundation or one of it’s incorporated entities doesn’t want to create a discord server or just hire people to do it. Why don’t they just hire the ApeComms team? Better yet, why not make a channel/s in the otherside discord server specific to ApeCoin. Just give people an ApeCoin role. There are admins their already handling the server. Since ApeCoin is going to be the “currency” of the otherside, seems like it would be a good place to have discussion. Also, I have heard people asking for more participation. There are +30K people in that server who hold deeds and kodas where apecoin will directly effect them if they play the game.

1 Like

Hi @Novocrypto,

Thanks so much for your supportive comments, and for your feedback.

In response to the suggestion that you (and others) have made that we begin with a trial period, we have reduced the duration of our proposal to a 3 month trial period.

We considered your suggestion of 1-2 months, but felt that 3 months was the minimum that was feasible for a number of reasons. For one thing, it can take 1-2 months just to get an AIP to vote. If we pursued a 1-2 month duration for this AIP, and we were successfully voted in, we would need to be posting the AIP seeking a renewal as soon as the vote on this AIP was complete. This does not feel right.

Second, it will take us a couple months to get all of our functions up and running, including specifically setting up and securing the discord. We want to have time to not only set up the discord, but also have it develop and grow for a few weeks, so that the community can see the benefit of it, and assess us on a more fulsome track record, before we have a potential renewal AIP going up to vote.

For these reasons, we settled on a 3 month trial period.

Thanks again for your feedback, and your support. It is greatly appreciated.

9 Likes

Hi @roosh,

In terms of the DAO administrators creating a Discord server, as they did the Discourse forums - this is an option. To clarify though, the DAO Administrators did not just create the Discourse forums out of their own initiative. They requested the DAO’s approval to do so, and it was granted via AIP-1, along with compensation for the cost of an enterprise Discourse account.

Similarly, setting up a Discord server would create a new community asset, and it will carry some costs. In our view, this should be requested explicitly via an AIP, particularly if the DAO is going to be ultimately paying for the security and/or moderation.

The DAO administrators (Cartan) may be considering this course of action. If they do so, and their vote is approved, we will adjust our proposal accordingly.

There are however benefits to empowering decentralized teams other than the DAO administrators to take the initiative in building and developing community assets such as the Discord sever.

Empowering multiple teams within the DAO to become experts in their subject-areas may lead to more creative, efficient and innovative solutions to DAO challenges, as opposed to having one central group take the lead on all matters. For instance, ApeComms intends to partner with Boring Security, another decentralized community team, to secure the Discord. Decentralized teams supporting one another in this way grows the DAO’s ecosystem, and builds out the community horizontally, as opposed to vertically.

There may also be a benefit from a legal/securities regulations perspective to allowing the DAO to grow horizontally and through multiple teams, as opposed to through an increasingly responsible central entity.

Waabam

13 Likes

Participation, communication, and fun banter are important attributes of a good DAO. It’s just interesting to me that there is no official ApeCoin Discord Server. Usually projects start with a Discord Server and then bleed into other tools like Discourse for more formal conversations and proposal making. Either way, I think AIP-175 will be a great addition to the DAO if it passes. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

11 Likes

This was very naughty - SMH

1 Like