AIP-226: ApeCoinIRL - Decentralized Events Network

Thank you @ssp1111 for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @ssp1111 please see your messages for the next steps.

-Amplify

3 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@ssp1111 has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

6 Likes

The AIP Draft submitted is currently incomplete and feedback has been provided to the author.

-Amplify

3 Likes

@ssp1111 has updated their Draft and it is in our review once again.

You can check out the changes by clicking the pencil icon at the top right of the post.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

3 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @ssp1111ā€™s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

3 Likes

@ssp1111 has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

2 Likes

@ssp1111 has responded to our questions and has provided consent to share them in this forum for the community.

A DAR package is being completed, upon which this AIP will move into Administrative Review. Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

Upon the teamā€™s review and discussion, please find the list of our questions below.

1. Are there any potential legal risks or considerations associated with the activities of this AIP?

Answer:

While there are no known legal risks with this proposal in and of itself, as with any and all IRL events there is always the possibility of unforeseen liabilities when bringing people together for a conference, concert, workshop, meetup, etc.

We expect to share our collective best practices within the network from our years of events experience and also presume that most event professionals know how to mitigate these risks understanding venues have General Liability Insurance to cover much of any event based risk.

In regards to the technology services, we do not foresee any risks beyond standard liabilities which would be covered in each tech partnersā€™ ToS and Privacy Policies.

1. Will you please provide background information on yourself and your team that highlights their ability to complete the tasks set out in this proposal? Please provide substantial support to your response, and examples if possible.

Answer:

The good news about this proposal is itā€™s an experiment in decentralized team efforts. As long as we identify, vet and empower the right ambassadors, we should have full confidence that the collective effort can deliver on the promise of hosting many small, local gatherings worldwide.

Providing a technology platform for local DAO members to accomplish this also requires teaming up with partners invested in new Web3 ticketing tools and services and existing blue-chip Web2 companies. Weā€™d like to think weā€™re doing that with Enter, Strava, ClubID, and the others in the proposal.

As far as my own background goes, I believe Iā€™m qualified to run an IRL Events proposal.

I have planned, managed and executed 100ā€™s of events from corporate retreats to sporting events to art and music festivals. None of these were done individually but as part of brilliant professional teams:

• Director of Events at Starwood Resorts (various flagships & Planet Hollywood)
  • Director at Toscana Country Club
  • Director of Operations at Yellowstone Club World
  • Opening Teams at multiple 5-Star Resorts & Restaurants Worldwide
  • COO of several Consumer Tech Startups
  1. Please provide a description of what qualifies someone as a ā€œLocal Champion.ā€

Answer:

The way we think about Local Champions first and foremost is to give opportunities to local Web3 individuals or clubs to become ambassadors for the DAO. While weā€™ve given some favour to local BAYC/MAYC clubs for this first go round, we fully expect to expand the onboarding opportunities to members of the DAO, of other NFT projects and adjacent verticals (education, academia, tech associations, etc).

Every Local Champion listed has experience in running events, large and small and understands their local area well.

Weā€™ve spoken to each and every Local Champion at some point during the feasibility study and the drafting of the proposal and all of them are committed to hosting events throughout the year.

1. Please elaborate on the teamsā€™ expectations for the future.

Answer:

Our goal for the first year is to help set a foundation for a truly Decentralized Events Network including a tech platform MVP (ticketing, CRM, calendar, directory, communications), the processes and protocols for streamlined funding, reporting and the pipeline for content.

We know that 2023 will have many opportunities to document best practices from across the network and that moving into 2024 and beyond the wisdom of the collective will help us create a much more powerful platform than one can imagine currently.

Personally, I envision IRL Events being a major part of the DAOā€™s mission of onboarding and educating new members to the community.

1. Are you prepared to personally operate and spearhead this initiative, or is this AIP a call to action for the community to get involved as volunteers?

Answer:

As in most startup-type ventures the answer is a little of both. I have tried to craft the proposal to get as many trusted ambassadors on board to run as many IRL events as possible in order to get truly meaningful traction and data to help shape our ideas moving forward.

I expect to be the key person for the duration of the AIP but the execution of the proposal is fanned out across our Local Champions, our tech partners, the broader Yuga family and of course the support, feedback and participation from the ApeCoin DAO.

Should this AIP pass as is currently drafted, I expect to work full-time on ApeCoinIRL and if others step-up and wish to take on leadership responsibilities, Iā€™d happily make the transition to being a Local Champion in my own area. I just want this to exist.

1. Who are Local Champions, how are they selected, and will you onboard more, or offboard those that are not facilitating events?

Answer:

The list of Local Champions and their Twitter handles is in the AIP itself. The answer to how they were selected is in question 3.

And yes, the whole point of the network is to host events to safely onboard non-crypto users to web3, other NFT founders, builders, creators, projects to ApeCoin DAO and to create hundreds of articles, videos, posts, livestreams that can be shared across social media channels.

Local Champions that accomplish this will be invited to continue and those that donā€™t will be replaced (obvs, weā€™ll know how things are going prior to the end of year, so there will be ongoing adjustments and it wonā€™t be a last minute thing).

This has been conveyed to and agreed by all the Local Champions listed in the AIP.

1. Please explain in detail the tech stack which will integrate a master calendar, events directory, a CRM, and ticketing apps. Who will build this, or are these services already available today?

Answer:

As explained in the AIP, we are partnering with fellow BAYC and ApeCoin DAO members to build out the MVP of this tech stack.

Enter.xyz has already developed a robust ticketing platform with apps on iOS and Android (used at Art Basel and NFT Paris), which will also be used to populate a Master Calendar and World Map. Enter will also build out a website as the portal to all things ApeCoinIRL.

Club.ID has already started building out a CRM which we will utilize to populate an Events Directory (recently beta tested with Bored LApes events).

Together, we are utilizing two brilliant tech partners to work through the challenges and to develop a truly great platform. I fully expect that these MVPs will shape future separate proposals to help scale the solutions for both Enter.xyz and Club.ID.

1. Your AIP mentions: ā€œThis could be the DAOā€™s first experiment in Sub-DAOs.ā€ Please elaborate on how the ApeCoin IRL Events network is similar to, or structured to be a DAO.

Answer:

While not technically a sub-DAO, this term was used as a synonym to whatever versions of Working Groups, Squads, Sub-Committees, etc that the Stewards came up with and what the DAO eventually votes in.

The bigger idea of AIP-226 was/is one of creating an autonomous collective within the DAO to greenlight ideas faster, streamline funding requests, propagate ApeCoin DAO worldwide, all through an IRL Events channel and mission. This is not set-up as a DAO or Sub-DAO.

1. Your AIP mentions: ā€œWe streamline the funding so that events can be designed, hosted and funded faster.ā€ Please elaborate on how one goes from community member, to event organizer, to grant recipient throwing an event for ApeCoin.

Answer:

There will be two main paths for community members to receive a grant for a local event:

1. Become a Local Champion - which requires a commitment to hosting 5-12 events a year
  2. Present a simplified proposal in our IRL Events Prop House for an ad-hoc event

Both pathways still go through a vetting process, a voting (internal for Local Champions, on-chain on Prop House) and funding through a multi-sig.

As with everything else in this AIP, we will review and refine our own protocols and processes.

1. Your AIP mentions: ā€œA Decentralized Events Network solves for this through an innovative, streamlined process.ā€ Please elaborate on this process.

Answer:

Should this proposal pass, ApeCoinIRL will be set-up as a separate entity (formation still tbd) and that entity will take custody of the grant.

IRL events require planning in advance, securing venues, talent, speakers, vendors, etc with deposits, and Local Champions will need funds ahead of actual events. As each Local Champion presents their calendar of events for the quarter/year, we would send them the funds for the quarter.

This is what we consider a streamlined funding process, versus having 100-200 individual AIPs submitted to the DAO.

1. One of the ā€œSteps to Implementā€ mentions: ā€œSet-up Multi-Sig Gnosis SAFE Wallet to accept Grantā€ Who will set up this multi-sig and who will be the signers?

Answer:

As a Key Player in ApeCoinIRL, I imagine Iā€™d set-up the Multi-Sig along with anyone from the DAO with deeper experience in this (perhaps someones from the Governance or Treasury or Grants Working Group). I already have commitments from several BAYC club founders, our tech partners and a Special Council member to be signers. The goal is to bring transparency to the distribution of grant monies.

1. Have your or your team identified any additional financial, operational, or brand risks associated with this AIP?

Answer:

While a similar question was answered earlier, there are a few challenges that have surfaced which we do not have the answers for but we will have to tackle. Challenges such as what form ApeCoinIRL should take in terms of incorporation, how to best shield members who coordinate events from excessive tax liabilities, how to set-up best accounting practices across the board, etc.

Should this AIP pass, we are hopeful that weā€™ll be able to retain some giga-brains to help us sort through these challenges and at the same time share these findings with members/authors for future proposals.

9 Likes

Iā€™m happy to see that this proposal is now active. The Chinese Ape Club has already hosted two successful holder events in China this year (in January and February), and we have plans to hold more throughout the year. It would be even better if we were ā€œgrantedā€ support from ApeCoin DAO to help with marketing these events.

Additionally, we plan to expand our presence to other conferences and explore new areas. For example, Hong Kong is becoming a new hub for crypto, and there will be large conferences held there this year. Iā€™m excited for this AIP to be approved so that we can strengthen our IRL events.a

10 Likes

@ssp1111 has updated their Draft and it is in our review once again.

You can check out the changes by clicking the pencil icon at the top right of the post.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

4 Likes

I really love this effort to bring the ApeCoin ecosystem into real live. The merging of irl and online is one of the most exciting promises of web3.

Not sure if there are any/many apes based in Portugal, but if there are I would happily help to support some events here. So yes fully supportive of this AIP!

6 Likes

gm @Hangout - appreciate the support and yes, we did have conversations with a couple of local champions who are excited to get involved and are just waiting for the proposal to get passed.

In the meantime, youā€™ll be happy to hear weā€™re in dialogue with the team putting on NonFungibleConference in Lisbon in June and a smaller event in Porto.

Are you closer to Lisbon or Porto ā€“ also, how do you think the recent changes in crypto laws are gonna affect Web3 businesses?

Onward
SSP :fist:t4:

9 Likes

gm! I am closer to Lisbon and am attending the NFC. Would love to help with an event!

Great question about how the new laws will change things. The new law is still in proposal stage so nothing fixed so far. Based on what I know they are looking at making crypto held for more than a year tax fee and only taxing crypto when it is turned into fiat.

So unless your regularly taking crypto into fiat it should be still a very attractive location as an individual.

As a web3 business, tbh I havenā€™t looked into the rules that are in place to attract web3 businesses, but I know that in general having a business here can be tricky. Labour laws being an example.

7 Likes

Been thinking about making a trip out to the Lisbon event @ssp1111 and would love to help out if anything comes together.

Keep me on your radarā€¦ Always here for ya.

AC

8 Likes

When are the Lisbon dates? I might be able to make a trip.

6 Likes

When I Google things I see two event dates but pretty sure its the first week of Juneā€¦ Feels like a growing presence could be coming together :+1:

AC

4 Likes

Great Idea. The ask amount seems reasonable to roll out up to 250 events (seems like a lot!)

I say go for it!

Would love to have NFF and eventually FOMOtvā€™s footprint at the IRL events.

C

5 Likes

Heyo @Mantis,

These are the organizers weā€™re chatting with in the hopes that AIP-226 passes in time. If not, then weā€™ll be planning other collabs in preparation for NFC 2024 (presuming AIP-226 passes at all :laughing:).

FYI - French Apes and Portuguese Apes are organizing an event during NFC so we should also check with them to get more details (cc: @dyorjdr)

Onward
SSP :fist:t4:

6 Likes

Heyo @CameronMoulene,

Thanks for your support and yes indeed, itā€™s a no-brainer that there ought to be collabs with NFF and FOMOtv at any and all of our IRL Events. One of the key deliverables of this Decentralized Events Network is to become a distribution channel for any and all products/services funded by the DAO, so yes bring it on.

Quick note about the number of events in the proposal).

Agreed, 250 sounds like a lot ā€“ and we most likely wonā€™t make that number in 2023 depending on if/when this AIP passes and gets funded. That said, the whole purpose of the AIP is to develop a network in which the DAO empowers local members and Web3 orgs to be ApeCoinDAO Ambassadors in their own cities and regions (vetted and coordinated of course) - so in time, the number of events could/should grow if the KPIs show demand & positive ROI.

The good news, and the part that makes this doable, is that weā€™re spreading out the responsibilities of hosting 200+ small, local events across 20 Local Champions which also includes having a greater ApeCoinDAO presence (Trade Show Booths, Exhibition Stands, etc) at existing Web3/NFT conferences and appropriate non-crypto events - so not every activation is created from scratch.

Anyway, I know you already know all this and thereā€™s a lot more in the AIP ā€“ just wanted to share this tl;dr for the benefit of other readers.

Thanks again for your support.

Onward
SSPāœŠšŸ½

3 Likes

Ambitious plans for this amount of events in one year, but if thereā€™s ever a person that could deliver on it my vote is on @ssp1111ā€¦

One concern that comes to mind is how important training and/or quality control will be with who is out there representing ApeCoin. There are definitely solutions here but I donā€™t think that the importance can be understated.

Other than that, bring on the IRL experiences. These are bonds that can last a lifetime and powerful resources when aligning people who share a common goal.

AC

7 Likes