AIP-228: $APE for Bored Ape Yacht Club Discord 'Club Mods'

Agree on mods being paid. Disagree it’s a DAO issue, as in I am shocked Yuga isn’t already paying and if anything we should absolutely ask them to pay their mods. That Discord server services paid collections that earn crazy royalties and that is its primary purpose - not to service DAO. As such, for sure Yuga should pay all mods, it’s the right thing to do.

Are only some mods unpaid? It’s just hard for me to fathom that all mods would be unpaid when it’s an important job and the company is mega rich.

1 Like

Perhaps the special council or the stewards should consider asking yuga’s HR/legal department their opinion before this moves forward. There could be employment status issues that arise from payment. Or there could be things which need to be done to structure this as a grant with an application process instead of payment for services.

2 Likes

Maybe is it a topic to share to BAYC Council ?

Here is the twitter account dear @camol : BAYC Council Twitter

2 Likes

We don’t even know if those mods have any issue. As someone stated above they do have perks, some of which could prove quite valuable. Plus cachet. If it is an issue they could ask for themselves, or not volunteer?

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

Our team has reviewed and discussed @camol’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

1 Like

the points have been made several times but i will add to it:

• I love the mods. i imagine they each put in a different amount of work. I am for the mods getting paid for their work.
  • I do not believe it is the DAOs responsibility to pay the BAYC mods, but the responsibility of Yuga. If the mods want/ need to get paid, they need to address this with them.
  • As apecoin dao is seperate from yuga, i believe the DAO paying the mods sets an unsustainable precedent. If this passes, every discord within the ever growing ecosystem will be requesting funds for their mods.
  • If we as a DAO want to pay mods, it should be a proposal to pay apecoin dao mods, and the role/ responsibility/ expectations should be clearly laid out for the position.
6 Likes

You know if it was PPman or the BAYC mods here proposing it, I see how apecoin powering their community moderators & frequent faces could be a really good thing. I think theres opportunity to help power many ape communities in ways like this. I do feel that it should come from their team though.

2 Likes

Unpaid jobs are illegal in most countries. That included Yugalabs Camol

1 Like

In the US, there’s a comparable alternative to this “unpaid moderator” position: the “unpaid intern.”

While it’s certainly a source of debate whether or not all interns should be paid, the US (the jurisdiction under which Yuga legally operates) has taken on a “primary beneficiary” test of sorts to judge the merits of such an arrangement. Basically, the unpaid intern (mod, in this case, if we are to apply prevailing standards here) should be the “primary beneficiary” of the job, meaning they ultimately get more out of the position than the employer does.

This may sound a bit nebulous, but hear me out: if a Yuga mod has flexible hours, is not coerced into that position unwillingly, and is receiving more in turn than Yuga is receiving, it’s all gravy. What we do know is that mods receive activations, claims and airdrops (which alone might actually be more valuable than a flat rate salary, given the market for Yuga assets) as well as the position acting as a pipeline toward Community Manager status, a (well)paid position within the Yuga Labs team.

Regardless of all of this, however, the point is moot. ApeCoin DAO and Yuga are two legally distinct entities, and it’s not within our purview to police their business practices. Just thought I’d share this analogy for added context.

5 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

This Topic has been Withdrawn based on the DAO-approved guidelines due to no response in the last 30 days. The Topic may be submitted again by any user and upon approval, will be open for 7 days for community discussions.

This Topic will move and remain in the Withdrawn AIPs category.

-Amplify

2 Likes