AIP-234: Boring Beverages | A community built & part-owned beverage brand

Hey br00no! This is Chris, COO of Boring. Going to answer some of your questions.

Yes, that’s accurate. In the industry, a “case” refers to 24 cans that are packed in a tray. Here’s the breakdown:

Total number of cans: 230,400

Individual cans of each SKU (flavor): 57,600

Total: 38,400 six-packs = 9,600 six-packs of each SKU

or

Total: 57,600 four-packs = 14,400 four-packs of each SKU

Correct! We plan to offer the “Original” flavor, and the DAO will choose the other three flavors.

In the initial stages, our focus will be on online D2C. We’ll accept standard payment options like credit cards to avoid limiting ourselves to non-Web3 natives. However, $APE will be the only crypto payment method available. The advantage of using $APE is that you’ll have access to exclusive discounts. For example, you’ll receive “20% off your online order when paid in $APE.” As a fun bonus we want to incorporate Limited Editions flavors/product drops in the future, and these drops would be exclusive to $APE holders and only available by using $APE.

The decision to expand to in-store distribution will come later. Right now, we want to concentrate on D2C, as in-store distribution can eat into our margins. However, if the time is right for Boring to be on store shelves, we have an excellent team to help us achieve that goal. As for seed funding, that decision will also be made later. It’s no secret that beverage brands require capital to become a national brand, and Boring will likely need it too in due time. However, we want to keep the brand as APE-owned as possible. Before seeking outside capital, we will propose a raise to the DAO. While the DAO can’t currently accept profits, we are optimistic that a suitable solution will be found in the future for it to accept equity.

After considering various options and weighing them based on time, value, and efficiency, we decided against producing an MVP single SKU. Although it would have been an option, it would have increased the cost by roughly 30% and added months to the timeline.

Instead, we opted for a production run of 2,400 cases. This approach is 42% less expensive than the trial run size of 250 cases and 27% more efficient than the smallest production size of 1,200 cases. A production run of 1,200 cases has no room for discounts and is widely considered expensive, our larger production size allows for a discount on the formulation and efficiencies on the raw materials and tolling costs. The main cost of the larger production comes from the cans and packaging.

Another bonus with producing all flavors at once is ashuring all 4 flavors are cohesive in flavor profile.

Thanks for the great questions br00no!

Cheers,
Chris H

2 Likes

Thanks so much cath! Our team is really excited to show the world what we can build as a community :heart:

2 Likes

Hey Dubai Apes! We’re glad you find it interesting.

On a side note, we know a few CPG founders who have had success manufacturing small runs outside the US, making it easier to supply customers globally. We’d love to eventually dive into this, perhaps a partnership can be made so we can get products in the hands of Apes in the UAE!

Cheers,
Christian

1 Like

Hey Jhash!
Glad you dig the idea. Yes! Very ironic branded, there’s so many fun marketing ideas we are currently planning in terms of the Boring name.

Love that idea about collabing with Blocksee. One aspect of Web3 I’m personally bullish on is NFT loyalty programs. That’s something we plan on building out in the future for sure.

Thanks Jhash!
Cheers,
Christian

4 Likes

Quick reminder, ThankApe, Karma, Catapult have NFT loyalty programs integrated within the DAO – would be good to collaborate or at least have early convos as you build out your own loyalty program.

Also this (their new marketing campaign with grandmas are on-brand :laughing:):

3 Likes

Thanks, SSP, that is great information. We will defiantly reach out to learn more.

:rofl: LD without a doubt has the best marketing. We really want to do a similar off-the-wall, funny, entertaining marketing style. Also, love how they incorporate artists on the bottom of their cases. Perhaps this is something we can mirror. I’d love for more artistic community members to have a chance to get their art out in the world. We have ideas to add a layer of collectibility to the cans, but this would expand that to the boxes. Love it!

Cheers,
Christian

5 Likes

Quick concept render! Love this idea. Any artistic DAO members, let’s connect :rocket:

3 Likes

If I may:

On the outside, the skull and the name don’t really seem to work together… and has a bit of a knock-off sort of feel to it if I’m being candid. Is there a way to make the skull look actually bored, such that it’s yawning or something to truly convey the irony you’re going for?

I see tons of people trying to leverage the skull logo, but in this case you could really make it your own as the idea of “boring” and “energy” could really work in your favor if a uniquely constructed, legitimately bored-looking logo is properly conceived.

At the end of the day, you are creating a brand and want to stand out (and stand alone) as much as you can.

5 Likes

Great idea, Chris! I completely agree. This one, once again, was a concept. Based on your advice, I wanted to change the BAYC logo ha. “Boring energy" is quite the oxymoron. It has the potential for fun branding/marketing so I love the idea of a skull appearing bored or tired. I wonder if expressing that emotion in a skull will be challenging. Nonetheless, I’m confident that an artist could easily pull that off. Going to dig into that concept!

Thanks again, Chris!

Cheers,

Christian

Quick edit (I am no artist ha) but I dig the concept!

4 Likes

Nice! This is much closer to what I was talking about. Looking forward to following this idea.

3 Likes

Concerning the logo, I think that it has to be ApeCoin logo, and it must be one point you are asking for with your potential proposal.

2 Likes

Hey Doc! We do love the idea of licensing the Coin logo, so we will defiantly explore that option. I do however also see the benefit of the brand establishing its own to really build up the branding like how CryptoLogically was saying.

At the very least we absolutely want to use the $APE logo on say the QR code on the rear and drive attention to the community, etc. Here’s a quick example.
Cheers,
Christian

3 Likes

Hey everyone! We wanted to thank everyone for the great feedback and questions. We’ll be re-constructing based on that feedback before heading into the draft phase. I’m excited to build with you all! We’re going bore the world with boring (not really boring) beverages :heart:

Cheers!
Christian

1 Like

Hi @Christian,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Vulkan

1 Like

Hey Vulkan, we are content with the feedback! We’re going to begin reconstruction from idea to draft.

Thanks Vulkan,
Christian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @Christian for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Christian please see your messages for the next steps.

-Vulkan

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Christian has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

Our team has reviewed and discussed @Christian’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

1 Like