AIP-259: Language and Market Focus for ApeCoin DAO in 2024-2025

Absolutely @Sasha,

Your points align perfectly with the intention behind this topic.

We should brainstorm ideas on how to gather this data, ensuring we have accurate insights into the language preferences of our community; Or consider discussing the allocation of funds for permanent translators specifically for AIPs. This will ensure that our proposals are accessible and understandable to all community members.

It’s crucial that we collectively decide on the steps we intend to take and take responsibility for them. This collaborative approach will not only help us in future proposals but also contribute to achieving our goals effectively.

Thank you for raising these thought-provoking points.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

3 Likes

Thank you, @NFD!

I greatly appreciate your comment. However, it’s important to acknowledge that the credit goes to the good people who raised the issue and took action before me, such as @badteeth @dyorjdr @holocronape @Mantis @CEOofWeb3.0 @BojangleGuy @Halina.eth @adventurousape and many more. Inclusion and accessibility are indeed key principles for our community’s success. By ensuring that our platform and content are accessible to a wide range of individuals, we not only encourage greater adoption but also invite diverse perspectives and ideas, leading to a more robust collective input.

However, in my opinion, it’s important to note that simply aiming for inclusion is not enough. We must also take the necessary actions to ensure that non-English speakers can fully integrate into the DAO. Let me give you an analogy to illustrate this point. When you set up a new iPhone, you select your preferred language before installation, and the entire installation process is conducted in that language. You receive your phone in the language of your choice. Similarly, in our case, once people join in their preferred language, we should ensure that they can continue their DAO experience in that language. If we fail to provide the necessary capabilities for non-English speakers to integrate into the DAO, the suggestions we offer may be of little use.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts on this important topic. Your engagement and support are greatly appreciated.

7 Likes

Another suggestion:
securing special council seats exclusively for citizens of our chosen markets.

1 Like

Ohh sure, you can count me in! Im from portugal, and I would be proud to help this community in any way! I don’t know if there is a need to separated languages, such as Brazilian Portuguese and native Portuguese. You can count me in in both ways :smiley:

3 Likes

I can see that there is a lot of people from brazil here, apecoin is getting everywhere, even outside europe and asia :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Having both languages makes the infos clear for everybody. The Brazilian community in Web3 is huge but 95% of our population doesn’t speak English, it’s sad that we have this problem.

5 Likes

Hello @MisterHype ,
You are indeed touching a sensitive point.

For a more global integration of all the members according to the geographical area, it would be appropriate to have a few “referents” according to the country.
(Mini Stewards)

I try to do my best for France.

More generally also, I think it is important to have written information and reports.

There are many Twitter Spaces, it is sometimes complicated to attend each of them, and if English is not our native language, writing is sometimes easier for understanding.

As we often say: “the words fly away, the writings remain…”

Thanks @adventurousape for the recommendation :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the recognition @adventurousape and @MisterHype.

The work for the voice recognition, transcription, translation and summarisation has stalled for a little bit due to bandwidth issues.

I’m exploring how to leverage this tech across the entire spectrum of DAO activities. Will add in

Open AI’s current implementation of Whisper needs one to set up an entire machine learning project (and not even a simple one) with computational resources to train your model using their database. After that’s done, the rest of the process is ‘relatively’ simple.

It’l take records from the archives, transcribes it, provide all other solutions and relay it back.

Setting up something like this would take quite a lot of time and effort but that imo would be well worth it.

Oh and I’ve done significant progress on zKYC proof of concept. It’s going better than

5 Likes

The stereotype of “English as the most spoken language in the world” has spread widely in the world.
But, in fact, it’s not. The fact is around 80% population of Earth can’t speak English.

I, as non-native speaker, truly appreciate and support your motion to reduce language barrier in the space.

Thank you.

6 Likes

some are yes, some are just community VCs

2 Likes

Hi @dyorjdr,

I completely understand and agree with your point. Having designated “referents” or mini stewards based on geographical areas would indeed contribute to a more inclusive and globally integrated community (I shared that kind of note to @BojangleGuy). It’s great to hear that you’re doing your best for France!

I also believe that having written information and reports is crucial. With the abundance of Twitter Spaces and the potential language barriers for non-native English speakers, written communication can be more accessible and easier to comprehend.

What do you think about setting which markets we should focus on the DAO for 2023?

Thank you for bringing up this important topic!

2 Likes

As an advocate for generally underserved communities in gaming and Filipinos in particular, language is a huge part of creating accessibility. I was deeply disappointed that Yat Siu, in an SC meeting, seemed to support creating a web3 that is the same as the web2 status quo, with English as the centerpiece of everything. This leads only to the rich getting richer and does not speak to the challenge of creating a more egalitarian tech space for the world.

Looking forward to contributing to multilingual efforts, especially those that bring opportunity to ascending markets like the Philippines, Nigeria, Ghana, etc.

3 Likes

Hi @MisterHype,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

@Lost.Admin

1 Like

Hi @Lost.Admin,

Thank you for the update regarding my topic. I have carefully reviewed the feedback received so far, and I believe it has been constructive and comprehensive. Therefore, I am content with the feedback and ready to proceed to the AIP Draft phase.

I appreciate the opportunity for community discussion, but I feel confident in the current state of the topic and believe it is ready to move forward, as we will made the changes and continue to discuss and create deeper conversation about this topic together.

Thank you again for your support, and I look forward to the next steps in the process.

7 Likes

Totally agree with you, we need to reach worldride level.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @MisterHype,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions]. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @MisterHype please see your messages for the next steps.

@Lost.Admin

3 Likes

Hi MisterHype,

Only just seen this - looks amazing - always love seeing ideas that incorporate research and propose that later efforts will be driven/based on that data.

I was presented with a stat early on which showed that people who have English as their first language are actually a minority in the DAO, this was eye-opening to say the least. So I think in that case it is only right that we look to engage the majority much better than we currently are, which as you propose, will be determined by research.

I think this is another one of those topics which is far reaching and needs to be approached accordingly and with care - just as you are proposing here - so LFG!

Would love to see this pass and move forward.

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

Our team has reviewed and discussed @MisterHype’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

@Lost.Admin

1 Like