AIP-261: Progress-based Funding

“Creates opportunities [for] significant conflicts of interest for altcoin holders”

Get it? Because $ape use cases will be so good they will have to sell their sh*tcoins and buy $ape! BOOM @badteeth teamwork is dreamwork.

1 Like

How about this: Avoid every potential conflict of interest, do nothing! :wink:

I like it; it’s very zen. Let me meditate on this on a mountaintop in Thailand and see if it “fits.” I’ll report back soon.

1 Like

Not sure if this will be a curve-ball or not. I use to work for a sizeable bank in Singapore. Their approach (which I’m a fan of) for projects requiring investment budget, was as follows:

• Upon approval of the project, agree the total budget requirements on an annual basis.
  • Then release funds from a central pool to respective projects on a rolling quarterly basis.
  • Metrics for success were agreed upfront and tracked on a monthly basis.
  • Projects failing to meet their planned targets could in theory have their future access to funds removed on a quarterly basis, i.e. don’t throw good money, after bad.

A few extra comments:

• Failure to meet planned targets may not necessarily be a failure of the internal project team, it could be that the anticipated customer need is not actually present, thus customer uptake is not reaching desirable levels.
  • Albeit an additional administrative burden, no reason why the quarterly release of funds, couldn’t be increased in frequency to monthly.

Personally, I’m of the view that it shouldn’t matter how big or small a project is, a frequent release of funds provides several benefits:

• Reduces risk of misspending
  • Maintains transparency in terms of spending and achievements planned vs. actual (metrics)
  • Keeps the project team ‘hungry’ for their next tranche of funding

my 2 cents

4 Likes

Hi @danlogi,

It sounds like the bank you worked for had a good approach to managing investment budgets for projects. Releasing funds on a rolling quarterly basis with metrics for success agreed upfront and tracked on a monthly basis can help ensure that projects stay on track and that funds are not wasted on unsuccessful projects (I think 80% of my replies to AIPs right now is about what are the metrics).

I agree with your perspective that frequent release of funds can provide several benefits. It can reduce the risk of misspending, maintain transparency in terms of spending and achievements planned vs. actual, and keep the project team motivated to achieve their goals. Increasing the frequency of fund release to monthly may also be a good idea if it is feasible from an administrative perspective.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

2 Likes

Great feedback, thank you.

Monthly may be too frequent with how manual things are right now, but quarterly across the board may be a good compromise in terms of simplicity and yet improved accountability compared to what we have now!

And then maybe the first payment is actually 4 months? Reason being that when they submit progress report at 3 months, it may take a week/two to review/get answers to questions, then another 2 weeks for payment processing. So 4mo + 3 + 3 + … ensures there’s no gap in funding.

1 Like

Hey @MisterHype - Nice to hear that we’re on the same page with the need for metrics. It might sound somewhat cold, but I think when there are competing projects/ideas and limited resources/budget, it’s important to support the emotional sell of the idea with corresponding, periodic target metrics. Obviously these can always change over time, but without some basic metrics to start with, no one is going to be able to measure the value being brought about through the implementation of the idea.

-danlogi

3 Likes

Hi @Sasha - yes, that sounds viable. I guess it will depend on the existing internal processes / operations in terms of actual timing for release of the funds.

Perhaps, also worth taking into account the ability/requirement for project teams to be able to ‘return’ unspent funds, should their planned run rate be lower than expected.

-danlogi

1 Like

Hi @danlogi,

I completely agree with you. Having clear, well-defined metrics is essential in ensuring that we are not only investing our resources and budget in the right ideas but also measuring their success and impact. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new idea, but without metrics to track and evaluate its progress, we risk losing sight of its true value and potential.

Happy to know we part of the same community, and I’m exciting to see where we gonna be at 2030 together with that mindset and ApeCoin DAO capabilities.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

1 Like

That’s exactly it! Let’s make systems that stand the test of time.

2 Likes

yesir! 100000000000000000000%

1 Like

Hi @Sasha,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Amplify

1 Like

Let’s extend, I’m busy with other matters this week anyway so that gives us time for more feedback / ideas, if any!

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Sasha has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

-Amplify

2 Likes

Hi @Sasha,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Amplify

This topic was automatically closed after 12 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @Sasha for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Sasha please see your messages for the next steps.

-Amplify

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Sasha has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Amplify

1 Like

These updates are concerning for several reasons. The excessive use of dropdown menus and text formatting makes it incredibly challenging for both authors and DAO voters to understand the content. It is impossible for us to confidently refer AIP proposal writers to these proposed rules due to the convoluted nature of the changes. Moreover, the updates assume the lack existence of milestone-based funding, which do exist in multiple grant agreements.

It seems that the individuals who have expertise in milestone funding or knowledge of such agreements with the foundation did not contribute to the discussion thread. This lack of input further complicates matters. Additionally, the proposed changes burden the Discourse facilitators with unreasonable responsibilities, such as enforcing rules, flagging or voting on enforcement, and taking necessary actions. Unfortunately, the appeal process proposed also puts the burden of and increased power to Ape Assembly, then DAO-wide vote. This is incredibly concerning.

Overall, this proposal introduces assumptions without considering the experience or knowledge of the process, resulting in unnecessary and restrictive measures. Proposal authors can currently request milestone based funding. It is their choice how to request funds currently.