AIP-401: Guidelines of Request for Proposals (RFP)

In principle this is a good idea. We need a defined process for RFPs.

I do caution about describing delegates the same way as say a wallet by an individual Whale, a large corporate holder or Financial Institution. Most delegates are comprised of a large group of individuals, so to suggest a delegate is 1 individual view, like an individual wallet is not accurate.
Also if wallets vote, you can always check the results to see how much APE has been voted and how many wallets voted, though wallets voted is not as useful to quote without deep analysis of the wallets.

9 Likes

In concept I agree with this, although there needs to be a vote prior to RFP to either approve or deny the process. Under the foundational principle of 1 ape = 1 ape, the voters need to be able to express their voice to vote the process down. Perhaps you believe the same based on the statement “in which the community deems it worthy of ApeCoin DAO to pursue,” although that wasn’t totally clear to me.

4 Likes

I updated the note to remove that comment.

I will keep all of this in mind. I’m still trying to find a good way to define “Community” because it’s pretty complicated for us and I want to make sure voices are heard.

3 Likes

I agree when its a community based idea to have it. But there are also some ideas/concepts that are tantamount to the survival of the DAO which shouldn’t rely on a vote IMO (e.g. hypothetical lets say we need a new Cayman Island Foundation, the DAO needs legal representation, etc), these are just some extreme examples of things that a vote isn’t necessarily needed for IMO but are critical for the DAO. I don’t see this specific exception being used often. But happy to get your thoughts on it. Do you think a vote is needed in every circumstance, or just in a majority of them?

2 Likes

We voted in the current Cayman foundation operator Webslinger, as an example. They of course have the ability to then operate as they see fit for hiring lawyers, etc etc. But the DAO needs to vote on these sorts of directional changes. If there’s an AIP that goes up to vote as an RFP, the DAO needs to either approve that RFP, or there needs to be an option to vote it down within the RFP.

3 Likes

Ok. Maybe that was a very bad example. Or maybe not, I wasn’t around for that RFP so I’m not as fully versed in it outside of what’s posted on discourse.

But I see that you are in the camp that any RFP has to have a vote or a none of the above. I can get behind and respect that, I just wasn’t sure if there is an emergency type situation wiggle room there.

1 Like

Maybe that is the carve out. Just add a “none of the above” for emergency situations.

1 Like

Hi @LiveFast9986,

The community feedback period for your proposal would be ending in less than 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, your next steps are to finalize your proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@LiveFast9986 has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

Agree with this and look forward to see how this develops… :eyes: :popcorn:

3 Likes

So quick update on this (not really popcorn worthy but interesting nevertheless).

I’ve been looking at the previous RFPs that have been performed. Thanks to @adventurousape I now know that there were two RFPs performed previously and have a better understanding of the general sentiment behind both of them (again thank you @adventurousape for your time and assistance).

The most recent RFP was for a Cayman Islands Administrator. This RFP was a result of an AIP-196 that was approved and stated that it would perform this RFP.

However, there was another RFP that was performed prior to this, and apparently done as a result of approved AIPs as well. As disclosed in this (Tweet)[https://x.com/apecoin/status/1550616722809536512?s=20]. In this RFP the Foundation performed an RFP in response to AIP-21 and AIP-22 and selected Horizon Labs.

The takeaways I have from this is that past RFPs have been performed in response to an AIP vote. As such, I will continue this precedence. Also, RFPs can be performed and decided on by the foundation, if an AIP allows for such decision making (as seen in AIP-21 and AIP-22).

2 Likes

Also, in all three RFPs, a decision is being made. There is no “none of the above” option. I plan on keeping that as well.

This makes sense, because if you are soliciting proposals, you are picking from you get. Otherwise what was the point of the RFP.

With regards to timeline:

As best as I understand, the Cayman Island Adminstraor RFP had 3 days to submit their proposals.

The ApeChain RFP had 14 days. ApeChain: Request for Proposals

3 Days is incredibly too short. I don’t even think 14 days is enough. My suggestion would be 30 days.

1 Like

Let talk about Overall cost:

Part of me says that this RFP framework AIP should have a 0 cost associated with it, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a cost associated with it.

What does it cost to draft and publish an RFP, then collect, aggregate all the bids, review them, and then post it on Snapshot? (Semi-rhetorical question).

The ApeChain RFP was performed, to the best of my understanding, as part of the normal and routine job description of all those involved.

The previous Cayman Island RFP didn’t outwardly list a cost associated with performing the RFP.

Should there be an minimum cost requested with each RFP performed? If so, can we determine what is the minimum amount for all relevant members necessary to perform this process? Or should it be baked into the budget/responsibilities of each of the relevant members job description when they get elected into their positions?

1 Like

Hi @LiveFast9986,

The community feedback period for your proposal would be ending in roughly 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, your next steps are to finalize your proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @LiveFast9986,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the insightful discussions].

A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft using the appropriate template.

• Once the AIP Draft is confirmed by the author and meets all DAO-approved guidelines, it will receive an AIP ID number and move forward for Draft Analysis Review.
  • @LiveFast9986 please see your messages for the next steps.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. In accordance with DAO-approved guidelines, if the author does not respond within 30 days, the proposal will be automatically transferred to the Withdrawn category, and the author can re-submit the idea.

-@Facilitators

@LiveFast9986 has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

This proposal has been assigned the AIP ID Number 401.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

Our team has reviewed and discussed @LiveFast9986’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

1 Like