AIP-70: Bored Ape Gazette: Ape Coin Media/ BAYC News - Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Proposal Name: Bored Ape Gazette: Ape Coin Media/ BAYC News

Proposal Category: Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Abstract

The Bored Ape Gazette has grown exponentially over the past year and we have covered everything in the Bored Ape ecosystem since June 1,2021. I am committed to building a trusted source of information for this community and I would like to expand the operations into continuous research, analysis and reporting across the ecosystem. After speaking with Brandon Caruana, I believe the best way for the Bored Ape Gazette to grow is via a grant from the ApeCoin DAO.

We fully believe in the power and support of this community and would like to work for it full time. We have a plan to turn the Bored Ape Gazette into a sustainable business model over the course of one year and I am requesting a grant from the community to help me accomplish this goal.

Motivation

The goal of the Bored Ape Gazette is to keep $Ape holders, BAYC members and the general public informed on all things Ape! I have met some amazing people over the last year and feel honored to be able to provide this community with a trusted source of information.

Rationale

The Bored Ape Gazette was founded on June 1, 2021 and has covered the BAYC and its members every day since.

As the community has expanded from a 10,000 profile photo collection into a global brand and DAO, the need for a trusted community news source has never been more important.

The Bored Ape Gazette has worked hard to become this trusted source of information and can see a path to expand our presence and content. We will continue to support this community faithfully.

Specifications

Over the next year, we believe that the Bored Ape Gazette will become the go to news source for every member of this community. With the support of the DAO, the Bored Ape Gazette website will become a 24-hour style news site complete with a live BAYC, MAYC, BAKC and Otherdeed sales ticker, an $Ape price chart complete with a tradeview, a calendar showing important dates such as DAO votes and other community related events, a classifieds section where community members can list their BAYC/ Yuga related art and services, among other resources that will keep the community and the world informed on all things ape!

Along with an updated website, the Bored Ape Gazette will also work to keep the community better informed on the ApeCoin DAO with bi- weekly newsletters and in depth reports on Ape Improvement Proposals complete with Q&A interviews with the AIP Authors and interviews with holders who are for and against the proposals.

Steps to Implement

To begin, I’d love to get DAO members help in revamping the Gazette and making it more user friendly by adding community resources to the site.

Some of the resources I would like to add to the site are:
1.A live ticker showing sales from the BAYC, MAYC, BAKC and Otherdeed collections,
2.An Ape coin price chart
3.An Ape coin DAO tracker showing members what AIPs are on the ballot this week at the DAO.
4.An Ape Calendar showing upcoming community events, meetups and DAO votes
5. A classifieds section where members can sell their BAYC/ Yuga art and services in $Ape

Along with those improvements to the website, with the help of the DAO I will make running the community newspaper my full time job and deliver more daily coverage.

For $7000 per month, I will ramp up my coverage of all things Ape with a focus on the Apecoin DAO and I will create a bi-weekly newsletter for the community immediately.

Further, I will also edit contributing writers’ stories and lead weekly Bored Ape Gazette writers meetings where all community members are welcome and everyone can pitch ideas and get involved in the paper!

At this time, I would also like to extend an invite to any/all DAO members who want to write/report to come join the Gazette! This is a community paper that should be written by members of the $Ape community! I believe that the DAO should pay these reporters $100 dollars per published article.

In total, I expect the Gazette to cost the DAO an estimated $10,000 a month for news coverage and an additional cost to revamp the website.

Timeline

The Bored Ape Gazette is positioned to begin implementing these steps immediately. Once the DAO approves of this grant, coverage of all things ape will ramp up from 1-2 stories a day to 3-5. I also will host the first Bored Ape Gazette writers meeting a week after the approval of this AIP.

On the second or fourth Tuesday of the month following the approval of this grant I will release the first bi- weekly newsletter on the ApeCoin DAO. Going forward, these newsletters will be released on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. I believe releasing these newsletters on Tuesday is critical so $Ape holders have a day to read the news and vote before the Wednesday night deadline.

The updates to the Bored Ape Gazette website will begin immediately after the approval of this grant. Brandon Caruana has agreed to help with this part. The website should be transformed within a quarter.

Overall Cost

$150,000 USD for the first year.

23 Likes

This will be a great resource for the Apecoin DAO + entire BAYC ecosystem. I would love to help in way possible, from the newsletter to helping revamp the site.

11 Likes

I like the idea of a go-to trusted source of info like this. It’s hard to keep up with everything happening in the ecosystem, would be nice to have this. Would like to support and participate in any way on the tech, website, NFT smart contract side.

7 Likes

Big fan of Bored Ape Gazette. You follow all the twitter spaces and do great journalism. I do think the price tag is expensive.

Putting the disagreement on price aside, can you give us some information on your current website metrics, viewers per month and stuff? I’m sure the numbers are great!

8 Likes

Time of crypto reporters is very expensive and the mentioned price tag is below average, so I am fine with that.

But I want to see the website stats as well.

2 Likes

Speaking from a neutral position, I think the requested resource allocation is very responsible. If the Gazette can accomplish everything they have done on no budget, imagine what they will be able to do with some financial resources and a full time commitment.

The requested resources, will be used so the founder can quit his job and dedicate his time to this project exclusively (ultimately, he needs to be able to survive and pay some other people too). I have also committed some of my time (for free) to help him get some of the coding updates done for his website.

Note: that if anyone in our community need some of my time (or my teams time) we will do the same thing for you. We are 100% committed to helping everyone.

14 Likes

Here is a free resource to check on website stats:
https://www.similarweb.com/website/theboredapegazette.com/#demographics

Typically, these stats can be used as a North Star rather than a source of definite truth. Only the Gazette can provide MAU if they have Google Analytics (or similar platforms embedded in their code)

And here is an analysis of their twitter account: https://socialblade.com/twitter/user/boredapegazette

4 Likes

Thanks for the community-wide offer @bc – I may take you up on it for a landing page for the upcoming APECoin Festival Proposal – cheers:

4 Likes

Thanks for the links for data & metrics! Bored Ape Gazette gets really good numbers. It’d be great if their site could compliment and help drive traffic to the smaller newsletters to come from AIP 66.

Having a centralized source of information is important and Bored Ape Gazette recently is celebrating 1 year of covering the ecosystem, it’s a good fit for for being the center of $APE coverage!

I also like that they will host meetings for writers. :smiley:

6 Likes

Any details about monetisation?

2 Likes

Hi @Boredapegazette,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Pearson

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @Boredapegazette for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Boredapegazette please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson

3 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Boredapegazette has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

1 Like

Our team has reviewed and discussed @Boredapegazette’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

@Boredapegazette has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

We have sent a list of follow up questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

1 Like

@Boredapegazette has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

After review, this Topic submitted by @Boredapegazette is ready for vote under AIP-70: Bored Ape Gazettte - Ape Coin Media/ BAYC News. The proposal will be posted on Snapshot at the next weekly release date and time, which is every Thursday at 9PM ET.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

The voting period has closed for this proposal and it has been accepted with an 87.88% pass rate. The proposal will be passed on for implementation.

Follow this proposal under the AIP Transparency and Execution Category. A new post has been created here, Implementation Update | AIP-70: Bored Ape Gazette - Ape Coin Media/ BAYC News, and further updates will be posted.

-moonkt

5 Likes