AIP-78: Ape Worlds - Create Ape-themed games on the blockchain, no code required

You are requesting 1 million $APE tokens, which is around 5 millions USD at the moment, to fund the development and marketing of the product, can you eleborate on how did you get the number?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @fridayyy for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @fridayyy please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

Our team has reviewed and discussed @fridayyy’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

@fridayyy has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

@fridayyy has updated their draft and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

1 Like

The Roblox story is far from fanscinating at this stage😅

Game engine, UGC, Metaverse, all of them seems to fit well in children and teenagers, but has nothing to do with adults: Take a look at the DAU of Sandbox and Decentraland, even if they are top in web3 metaverse, their DAU is <1,000.

1M $Ape to build such a metaverse is rediculous, the ApeCoin DAO could seek partnership with a whole lot of mature game studios with such amount of money.

3 Likes

Thanks for the straightforward feedback. Here are some thoughts based on the above (original comments in italics):

Game engine, UGC, Metaverse, all of them seems to fit well in children and teenagers, but has nothing to do with adults

• I would say Game engine, UGC, Metaverse are the biggest opportunities in the space today.
  • For example, Yuga Lab’s next big project is The Otherside, a Metaverse MMO that will be massive and will take hundreds of millions to develop over years.
  • Additionally, ROBLOX, Fall Guys, Fortnite (shooter game with strong build element), and shooter games in general ~ are some of the biggest games in the world for a wide range of ages.

1M $Ape to build such a metaverse is rediculous

• I agree that 1m $APE is a big ask, but it is a small budget to build a metaverse platform.
  • Game development costs have risen a lot as the industry has matured. For example, GTA 5 cost $265m to develop. The Otherside will likely have a comparable budget to GTA 5.
  • We will need a team of 10-20 people to work on this full time for 12 months.
  • The full 1m will only be unlocked of the team ships all of the features on the roadmap.
  • The DAO has allocated 32m tokens for gaming in the first year (link to AIP-3). We (the ApeCoin DAO) should be looking for big opportunities that can move the needle for $APE adoption.

the ApeCoin DAO could seek partnership with a whole lot of mature game studios with such amount of money.

• As a DAO member, I agree we should be backing a wide range of gaming projects from multi-year AAA projects, to smaller casual titles, to UGC gaming platforms. In a few years, there will be hundreds of games using $APE if we are successful.
  • The Knock Knock Games team comes from top studios including Zynga, and Jam City (our CTO was the eng lead for Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery for example).
  • If this proposal make it to snapshot, that means that the ApeCoin foundation has reviewed the team’s backgrounds and determined this is a credible team and proposal.

I think the big question we should all be asking is, can a instant play UGC game platform move the needle for $APE adoption?

• Because it runs natively in the web, we can reach millions of players instantly, bypassing app stores and other gatekeepers.
  • There are ~80k wallets holding $APE today. If we can reach millions of players via Ape Worlds, this could massively increase the number of $APE holders.
  • By getting in early, ApeCoin members can create games before anyone else and they can be in a good position if the platform takes off.

We will announce upcoming AMA here over the next week to continue the conversation with the community. Ape Worlds is a big and complex proposal with a goal of creating a new UGC platform for the Ape universe, so we understand there will be a lot of questions and differing viewpoints.

3 Likes

Thanks for these answers @fridayyy – definitely helped me understand a little more about the proposal.

While I look forward to your AMA, the main question I have is related to The Otherside – can this platform be developed to create mini-games, assets, etc for The Otherside in addition to your walled-garden metaverse?

After all interoperability is the Web3 way and someone definitely needs to propose a solution for no-code building on The Otherside.

Cheers – SSP

1 Like

After review, this Topic submitted by @fridayyy is ready for vote under AIP-78: Ape Worlds - Create Ape-themed games on the blockchain, no code required. The proposal will be posted on Snapshot at the weekly release date and time, which is every Thursday at 9PM ET.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

2 Likes

Hey @ssp1111, great question! Interoperability is important and we hope that the platform can open up over time to include support interoperability with a wide range of projects as they come online. The more platforms we can support, the more utility all Ape Worlds NFT get.

Regarding the Otherside specifically, I read the lite paper and it looks like they want to include a good amount of interoperability. It is still too early to know exactly how it will play out as they haven’t released specifics yet.

With what I have seen so far, I am confident that we can support interoperability so that Ape Worlds characters are playable in the Otherside.

In terms of game building blocks and the games themselves, it is still too early to say as there are a lot of technical details that will need to be built out. That being said, we’d be happy to work with Yuga and the community to explore what additional interoperability will be possible.

Hope that helps,
Fridayyy

3 Likes

Thanks – and yes, your answers help

I still would like to see a proposal from someone to build a game/asset maker specifically for The Otherside – but as you say, too early to know without getting a look under the hood, SDKs, etc

Good luck with the proposal – happy to help in anyway I can – peace✌🏽

2 Likes

This proposal is live for vote at Snapshot. The voting period closes next Wednesday at 9PM ET.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimise for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

3 Likes

The voting has closed for this proposal and it has not been accepted.

This Topic will be moved to and remain in the Rejected AIPs category.

-moonkt

1 Like