AIP Idea: BAYC/MAYC Ownership/Signing Contract

Abstract
Two or three sentences that summarize the proposal.

A DAO-supported ownership contract for BAYC/MAYC that can be used by dapps to verify ownership by signing messages from a “signing wallet” without users needing to sign from the wallet holding the BAYC/MAYC NFT.

Motivation
A statement on why the APE Community should implement the proposal.

To help prevent NFT owners from getting scammed.

Rationale
An explanation of how the proposal aligns with the APE Community’s mission and guiding values.

Community-supported open source contract that protects it’s own members is a no-brainer.

Key Terms (optional)
Definitions of any terms within the proposal that are unique to the proposal, new to the APE Community, and/or industry-specific.

Ownership Contract:
A contract that is used by apps that want to verify ownership of an NFT

Specifications
A detailed breakdown of the platforms and technologies that will be used.

• Solidity contract deployed to Ethereum mainnet
  • NFT owners can designate a hot “signing” wallet in the contract from their BAYC/MAYC wallet via Etherscan (or a dedicated community funded interface)
  • If an owner sells their BAYC/MAYC NFT (unheard of!), the pointer will remain, so the contract will also include a verify() function so apps can verify the pointer is up to date before accepting the signature of the signing wallet.

Steps to Implement
The steps to implement the proposal, including associated costs, manpower, and other resources for each step where applicable.

• Will require a few Solidity developers to write, review, and collaborate
  • Will require a small amount of funding for deployment fees
  • Will require funding for 3rd party auditing, if desired.
  • Will need community support from apps that deal with BAYC/MAYC ownership requirements

Timeline
Relevant timing details, including but not limited to start date, milestones, and completion dates.

4-6 weeks to write, review, gather feedback, and audit.

Adoption by major apps will have take an uncertain amount of time.

Overall Cost
The total cost to implement the proposal.

Minimal. I think we could find enough BAYC/MAYC member devs willing to build it for free.

3 Likes

As a follow up, this could also be a gift from the ApeDAO community to the NFT world at large if we made it collection-agnostic. Any NFT contract address could be stored in this contract and used to prevent signing messages from wallets with high-value NFTs. We may want to consider it.

3 Likes

A cool idea, but just so I am clear, is this a donation from the ApeCoin DAO to you? How can we track progress? Do you already have the developers? Can you post their GitHub accounts?

1 Like

Open ended idea. As I said in the last line, we may be able to find devs who would be willing to throw some time into it pro bono. It seems important enough. Hard cost is contract deployment, but with gas that could be less tan $1000 USD.

Could we merge this within the following proposal: AIP-69 - Boring Security?

AIP-69 is a broad endeavor and appears to focus on educational content for the first two phases. AIPs with well-defined narrow scope are more efficient and more likely to be completed vs hand wavy goals. I think these should remain separate, but the AIP-69 crew could endorse or educate users on the above idea if we were to release it.

2 Likes

If I understood this correctly, the objective of this would be for BAYC Ecosystem holders to be able to verify their ownership by “delegating” or pointing it to another address right?

I like it a lot, but I personally think this should be open for the whole NFT community. This way we can position ApeCoin as the web3 token, rather than a BAYC/MAYC centric mentality.

We should open the apecoin ecosystem as broad as possible imo.

Going back to the proposal. I really like the idea. I hope we get some conv around this post.

4 Likes

Definitely in agreement here- opening this up to the broader ecosystem is a no brainer (many BAYC holders also hold other blue chips)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @netdragonx for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @netdragonx please see your messages for the next steps.

This Topic has been rejected based on the DAO-approved guidelines due to no response in the last 30 days. The Topic may be submitted again by any user and upon approval, will be open for 7 days for community discussions.