AIP idea: Fund the creation of an IP resource for BAYC/MAYC holders & community at large

Working on an AIP proposal to establish an IP resource that can inform the community – much like (and quite inspired by) Boring Security. Where Boring Security’s focus is on educating folks about security and safety, this project’s focus would be educating folks about how to best exploit the IP assets they own.

current draft of MOTIVATION and RATIONALE is below for your thoughts and comments. Very interested to hear what everyone thinks! – MP

MOTIVATION
Ever since apeing in as a MAYC in November 2022 and working my way towards acquiring an ape (which was reached on Jan 4, 2022), I have been taken with the branding component of ape ownership. Not only are apes branded as members of the Bored & Mutant Ape Yacht Club, they themselves have specific identities that can be flexed and enhanced by the owner – either by themselves or in collaboration with others.

I, myself, have done not only simple brand enhancements, like producing stickers of my ape that I’ve distributed to the public through skate shops and local clothiers to expand visual awareness of both my ape and the BAYC/MAYC, but I have also contacted companies and arranged for my ape to appear both on a series of craft beer collaborations and secured the first ever appearance of a BAYC on the cover of a major studio comic book publication (Image Comics’ The Secret History of the War on Weed).

Like many others, I have received inquiries over the use of my ape and in many of those discussions I have been grateful for my own experience with marketable IP and assessing the value of IP, and it has enabled me to stand my ground and ensure that any agreement involving the use of my ape is not a lopsided one nor out of step with Yuga IP allowances.

Believing that many other apes (and just general holders of NFTs) do not have that same experience, I’ve grown increasingly concerned that inequitable agreements are being struck – not only to the disadvantage of the individual ape holder, but also to the community at large, since every agreement sets a standard – just like every ape sale impacts “the floor”.

I believe that we can follow in the footsteps of Boring Security and create a program that provides qualified, expert education on aspects of Intellectual Property to apes and other NFT holders, which will not only benefit each educated holder but will also benefit the community at-large.

RATIONALE
Simply put, if someone fails to understand the motivations and potential downstream applications of someone seeking to enter into an agreement to use a holders’ IP, the holder might not enter into as favorable a deal as they might. Or, they might actually find themselves in a harmful situation.

Without a real consideration of those downstream applications or unforeseen scenarios, a holder might find themselves either being taken advantage of or put in a negative legal situation down the road. When making an agreement with someone for use of an ape, are holders equipped with the knowledge to protect their asset? What if someone offers to 3D render an ape and then creates a file that they might lay claim of ownership on because the agreement failed to clearly outline ownership of any and all produced assets? Such a scenario may do a disservice to the holder and the community, and we aim to remove as many potential pitfalls as possible through this resource.

Love this idea. Many people are looking to use the IP or their NFTs but have no idea where to start. This would be a tremendous resource.

6 Likes

Love the idea as well, and I will support it. One concern is that we should find somehow a good number of experts in the area in order to educate us properly.

5 Likes

And we should allocate some nice compensation for them. We also should think about how we will organize a platform for communicating the knowledge in an easy to consume way.

7 Likes

Thx for your enthusiasm and for sharing your concern, ASEC! I was hoping for exactly this kind of discourse. I share the concern and am working on that in the background right now. I have worked in the publishing industry for over 25 years and have worked extensively with IP holders (both original creator and licensor-types). While I bring a level or awareness and know-how, at no point do I dare present myself as an expert in the area and am currently reaching out to very successful creators whom I have a pre-existing relationship with – and surveying them to identify some potential candidates to do this work – so I can achieve the following in advance of the formal AIP proposal:
–gauge the interest of these top references who hav worked with some very established and successful intellectual properties
–discover what questions/comment/concerns they might have about this project
–understand a realistic budget to put against the level of work required to make this a success for the community.

thx again!

6 Likes

I agree 1000%. I am already at work crafting the formal AIP for this and doing research as to what exactly will be required to bring in the right folks to make this a gold standard project. My approach is rooted in a respect for the treasury and the DAO, and will make sure that the return on the potential investment in this project not only provides great value to the members of the DAO but also that every aspect of this project meets the high standard that’s already been set so far by Yuga & the DAO.

8 Likes

I will vote for this

5 Likes

Just as an idea you can also create a marketplace where an NFT holder can list their IP, and other guys can make offers.

4 Likes

This is a great idea and one I’ll take a look at. and see if it will fit within the initial scope & framework. My only concern is with how expansive and potentially resource consuming that marketplace might end up being. The AIP already includes an idea to create a vetted list of IP attorneys and others who could assist anyone with more complex deals than covered by the resources we would produce for general, free use.

On the other hand, I would absolutely applaud any potential licensee who might come to seek a licensor through this resource – because by doing so, that licensee is essentially acknowledging their respect for an equitable agreement between both parties.

I think whether formally carved out or not, this resource and it’s discord would be a place where ALL aspects of IP use are discussed, shared and analyzed – including opportunities.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Culturecodes!

4 Likes

Hi @mistaken_president,

Your topic will be automatically closing soon. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

- river

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @mistaken_president for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @mistaken_president please see your messages for the next steps.

- river