AMA Thursdays for proposals hitting Snapshot

Problem
Whenever a new proposal goes to Snapshot, there is a large number of voters who see it for the first time on Twitter and make their voting decision based on the discussion that takes place there.

For more complicated projects, it can be difficult to understand all of the nuance of a project via Twitter and require members to read 10+ pages to get a detailed understanding of the project.

A potential improvement
There are a number of things we can do to improve this, but one idea would be to have the ApeCoin Twitter handle host a weekly AMA for any Snapshot that is going live.

This AMA would give teams 15-30 minutes to make a case to voters and answer any questions. A recording of this call would also be attached in the Snapshot announcement thread via Twitters recording feature.

AMA Timing
One option would be to have the AMA an hour before the vote begins, this way people get all the info before they vote.

A second option wold be to have the AMA start right when voting begins. People could then listen in and vote during the AMA. A regular AMA could also turning voting into a live, interactive event, which might boost engagement.

Implementation and Cost
This would be a part of the regular social media for the DAO. I assume there would be no or minimal cost for the @ ApeCoin handle to host 1 AMA per week.

Next steps
I’d love to discuss this and see what people think about codifying this into our social media strategy.

Just a reminder, we have 7 days to vote so the AMA or Twitter Spaces could be held across a few days in addition to Thursdays – which would also provide additional content.

I think for this to stick, you should consider a proposal that includes a compensated role/team handling the day-to-day – which would then require a slightly broader mandate for content around proposals, snapshots, etc., which is most definitely needed.

Directionally, I support the post🤘🏽

3 Likes

Yea, I think a lot more could be done in this area that would add a lot of voter engagement. If there is interest we could make this a more robust proposal :rocket:.

My thinking was starting small and proposing that we codify an AMA into the ApeCoin official social media strategy, letting the DAO admins decide if a budget is required, and building from there.

3 Likes

Love these ideas @fridayyy and @ssp1111!

A few members are working on setting up a team that would be in charge of handling tasks exactly like @ssp1111 mentioned above. Twitter Spaces are included as one of the tasks. Agree what is laid out above will be a great way to get discussion flowing around proposals.

3 Likes

I am totally support the proposal. But there are some issues that we need to resolve.

Not all DAO members and proposal authors are able to speak or hear, so there should be an option for text AMAs. And for those who are deaf there should be text transcripts avaiable.

Time of AMA sessions should be choosen by proposal authors, because they can be in completely different time zones, and we can’t obligate them to wake up in the middle of a night.

2 Likes

Yea, good points here. I am not sure about best practices, but Q&A happens on twitter, though it can be a bit messy.

Text transcripts would be a cool feature. I wonder if Twitter supports that natively? Otherwise there are services that could be used.

I agree other time zones are a good idea. It would be nice if they were at regular times so everyone would know when to tune in for their timezone’s AMA without having to look it up each week.

2 Likes

I like this idea and am happy to help. Though there wouldn’t be a cost to host the AMA, coordinating with all of the teams who submitted proposals and driving awareness for a Spaces would likely require time / effort from someone(s), so I think it makes sense to have a small budget for this.
I’m happy to co-host the spaces, but would definitely not have the bandwidth to manage the coordination / prep.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response @maariab – would you also be supportive of a broader mandate as was mentioned earlier:

I think for this to stick, you should consider a proposal that includes a compensated role/team handling the day-to-day – which would then require a slightly broader mandate for content around proposals, snapshots, etc.,

A few members are working on setting up a team that would be in charge of handling tasks exactly like @ssp1111 mentioned above. Twitter Spaces are included as one of the tasks. Agree what is laid out above will be a great way to get discussion flowing around proposals.

As you know, your support carries a lotta weight 'round these parts :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Broadly speaking and without knowing the specifics, I would support this.
Better content around proposals, snapshots, etc would drive visibility and awareness to the DAO, which is great all around. I’m not a marketing person so I don’t know what the content should look like exactly, but I like the ethos of this for sure.

3 Likes

Thank you and yes, broadly speaking we’re totally on the same page✌🏽

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback & support @maariab!

There is a team operating the DAO and the ApeCoin official Twitter account, so I wasn’t sure if this could fit into their existing workflow & budget, or if additional funds would be required. We can ask at the next stage.

My thinking behind this proposal is to commit the DAO to the bare minimum, ie a weekly AMA whenever a new proposal goes live. From there we can test it out and then build additional features on top of it that require a team and budget.

Cheers,
Fridayyy

1 Like

Yeah there’s a group of us frequent DAO folks who are setting up for weekly twitter spaces & also going to be helping w/ proposals & getting more attention to projects requesting grants. There’s a chance that this will conflict w/ that but its a good idea thats worth talking about. Thinking is we’re just gonna do it ourselves & build out further structure / working teams that grow the ecosystem.

Just know as you’re going forward that there’s others also working to solve for a solution!

4 Likes

Is there a world where you can combine both?

And to Fridays earlier question, I think foundation has resources but question is whether this is what you want them spending their time on. I think foundation time better spent on big picture things, and things like this DAO can manage within the community.

2 Likes

Agreed :+1:. I think this proposal compliments bringing on a team and doing more.

My focus with this proposal is codifying one aspect of the social media strategy, so that any proposal going to vote has opportunities to get in front of the audience of 380k followers the @ApeCoin DAO has built. From there, we could bring on official hosts and create new events to compliment this.

My team ran 4 AMA to discuss AIP-78 (Ape Worlds game) before it went live and were unable able to get many Apes to participate. If @ApeCoin had been able to host or join the AMA, I think we could have reached more $APE holders. This was where this idea came from.

Regarding focus, I completely agree that the foundation (I’m guessing that is the board and @guyoseary) should be working on big picture things and only join AMA when there is a topic they are interested. That or, expressly not join any of these, so as to not favor some proposals over others.

A final question is if we can share the Twitter handle login details to an outside person, or if the DAO management company (Cartan group?) needs to be the only people able to manage the account. This is a execution-level detail that I could see coming up in future proposals.

1 Like

Hi @fridayyy,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Pearson

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @fridayyy for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @fridayyy please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson