An Open Letter from bc

Hey bc, thanks for the open letter. There’s a lot of information to unpack, but I’m glad that you took time to free-flow your thoughts. I genuinely believe that Cartan is acting in the best interest of the DAO while also balancing the need to run a profitable company.

The public impression is that Cartan is the only visible party with power in the DAO. By power I mean that Cartan can do more than create and comment on AIPs. By visible I mean simply that you’re responsive. The SC, for the most part, is silent.

Because of this, it’s not unexpected that you’re under heavy scrutiny and sometimes caught in the crossfire. IMO the problem is that people aren’t upset that you want to do more, it’s that they’re afraid to authorize more when they’re unable to see the 9-month results. As you say above, “we do everything” so perhaps some criticism is warranted? I don’t know. Perhaps the community needs to endure a small setback to understand the need to contribute and/or your contributions.

I truly believe that omitting Discord as a communication tool doomed ApeCoin DAO from the start. We know our community. We know their tendencies. We know their attention span and their desire for instant gratification. I personally like Discourse, but the friction to get started here is way too high for most and there is a learning curve. It’s difficult to implement a new tool in a corporate organization; it’s even harder in a decentralized organization of people with diverse backgrounds. Omitting Discord killed the #1 (maybe #2) method of communication for NFT/crypto people and the current state is the result. Open and free communication is so important. I hope that either your team or ApeComms can fix it.

If I put on my conspiracy hat I could ponder how purposely paralyzing communication could benefit those waiting for their tokens to unlock. It would be easy to dispel that by disclosing launch partners and the detailed unlock schedule, but alas that information is withheld. We’re supposed to be fully decentralized and stuff but, anyway…I digress. I don’t think that Cartan had anything to do with the original decision.

I’d encourage you to ask the existing Special Council to endorse Cartans’ AIP publicly in Discourse. I think that would help to improve the chances of it passing. Again, thanks again for everything your team does.

P.S.

1. Why do we need to consider ApeChain? Where does this thought come from? We voted to keep APE on ETH. I’m playing Devil’s Advocate here because I believe we may need ApeChain to fulfill Otherside’s promises. Microtransactions on Ethereum (inferred by Yuga’s recent microtransaction hires) won’t be feasible.
  2. From where does the ApeCoin Capital discussion originate? Comments like this, and the ApeChain discussion above, sow more distrust in the community as it’s not visible in the forums. Who is the “community” asking you to do it? Where does that community communicate? Not here. Whoever is requesting these two initiatives should just propose the AIP. Why should Cartan propose it? Cartan is the admin…right?
5 Likes