Ape Calendar - a calendar for the apecoin ecosystem

Proposal Name: Ape Calendar

Proposal Category: ecosystem

Abstract | Two or three sentences that summarize the proposal.

Create a website https://apecalendar.com, and a public iCal url that people can subscribe onto. This will enable the ape community to record events for projects, AIPs, or other related items in order to help spread awareness and knowledge about the ecosystem.

Author Description (mandatory if the AIP is requesting funds) | A brief background of yourself

Dar is a professional software engineer with over 29 years of experience designing, building, and operating web applications with millions of users in domains such as banking, news, entertainment, and others. Been working in web3 for the past six years on various internal corporate Blockchain initiatives using both Ethereum and Hyperledger.

Team Description (mandatory if the AIP is requesting funds) | A brief background of your team involved, if any

The development will be done by Dar, background listed above, and freelance contractors as needed for graphic design, ui/ux design, and software development.

Motivation | A statement on why the APE Community should implement the proposal.

There are many different projects, teams, and AIP authors that do many different discord calls, twitter spaces, video calls and in person meetups that are hard to keep track of when and where they are happening. Additionally, the Ape Calendar can be a place where AIPs can list their progress timeline and milestones as they proceed from idea, to voting, to implementation and ultimately to sunset and archiving.

Rationale | An explanation of how the proposal aligns with the APE Community’s mission and guiding values.

The rationale is to make information available to the community at large to be informed. Also encouraging and facilitating cross pollination among projects by making information freely available.

Key Terms (optional) | Definitions of any terms within the proposal that are unique to the proposal, new to the APE Community, and/or industry-specific.

No key terms are defined at this time.

Specifications | A detailed breakdown of the platforms and technologies that will be used.

A website will be created to host the web calendar and APIs. A breakdown of different types of events will be documented along with authentication and authorization rules established in the first phase of project construction. Once the information providers are identified and personae created, use cases for each persona will be documented along with detailed UI/UX designs to be implemented. To keep things moving forward quickly, a working first prototype will be developed and released showing information which can be gathered from WG0, ApeComms, and other well known twitter spaces or video calls with regular iterations. This will demonstrate the utility quickly while a more dynamic interface is developed. The website will be created with AWS services to start, and a more decentralized architecture can be investigated and developed over time.

A calendar page will look like this, showing the days of the month. On each day, the relevant events will be displayed, such as twitter spaces, or discord stages as an example.

See the screenshot of a week in the calendar:

Edit 5/4/2023 - I no longer think this is an AIP that needs funding and to be voted on at this time.

There are a few different people that have been thinking about this type of solution, and it will be relatively inexpensive to create the web app and subscribe-able calendar without creating mobile applications.

What I think can be done is to prototype this solution with feedback from the community, and later when the time is right for either the DAO secretary or Marketing and Communications groups to decide if they wish to bring the operation and maintenance in house or provide funding from their budgets.

It is difficult at this time to estimate the operating cost of the proposed solution. An estimate is approximately 400 $APE/year (based on $4 USD/APE).

I think it can run to collect events and have people use it for some time and keep track of the cost to better understand for the long term. It can be brought into the DAO operations later under the appropriate office or working group.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Proposals submitted to the AIP Ideas category can be vague, incomplete ideas. Topics submitted here are not required to be submitted as a formal AIP Draft Template, however, you may still use the template if you wish.

5 Likes

Damn thats a nice idea. My question is, Do you guys plan to add universal NFT and ETH events on this too? If not then please do coz that would be absolutely amazing!

2 Likes

I was thinking it would be centered on the ApeCoin ecosystem initially. Because I think it would be nice to make it somewhat self-service for the ApeCoin DAO.

But there isn’t any reason a second one that is more general cannot be deployed.

2 Likes

This is a great idea! It should also include every web3 project as long as they hold $ape. @racs had a similar idea for a web3 calendar but incorporating a tokenproof authentication to avoid having to connect wallet. Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

8 Likes

I love this idea so much!

5 Likes

This would be so helpful! Would we be able to set reminders for things we are interested in from it as well?

6 Likes

Love this idea! This is definitely needed so we can all show up for dao centered activities :tada:

7 Likes

Yes you will be able to set reminders as the project progresses. There are a few different ways reminders can be done, through a mobile app notification, importing a calendar entry to your own personal calendar, a web browser notification, and others.

We will need to prioritize the options based on level of effort to implement and what the community values highest.

Thanks! Keep the questions and feedback coming, please!

3 Likes

Hey @dar,

A Master Calendar for all ApeCoin approved and funded events was in our AIP-226, so we fully recognize the need for it. We also the understand the difficulty in getting a robust yet sustainable piece of software to serve everyone’s needs while remaining somewhat automated. Glad you shared the details of the hard tasks ahead with the community.

Quick thought:
Maybe reach out to the Bored Ape Gazette (AIP-70), they had plans for the following:

They might be further along with their development on these deliverables and perhaps the two of you can help reduce the workload in getting this launched.

Good luck either way. We know it’s needed.

SSP✌🏽

5 Likes

I need this. Would be super nice to have this to see everything going on within the DAO. Could you add the functionality to link with google cal so that it could feed into that app?

4 Likes

Overall, this is a fantastic idea as it not only reduces chaos but also enhances organization for even those who casually check in. It effectively keeps everyone informed and on course. I absolutely love it!

3 Likes

Will do! It will be easy for them to integrate an embed on their site as well.

3 Likes

I’ve made a substantial edit to the topic post; removing the funding, and scaling the development down to keep the web app, eliminate the mobile apps, while adding a subscribe-able calendar feed url for google calendar and apple calendar products.

I’ll probably move this out of AIP ideas into the General category as a result of these changes.

6 Likes

Hi @dar,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

I also see your note above about moving to the General category. Please confirm whether you would like to keep this idea in the “AIP Idea” category or move it out?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Vulkan

Hi @Vulkan.Admin

Please move the topic into General. I do not want to move into the AIP draft process given the feedback received.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @dar,

Thanks for the confirmation. Your topic has been moved to the General category as requested.

Thanks,

Vulkan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Added iCal and gCal links to the top navigation in the apecalendar website.

Will work on event submission and displaying the events by timezone on the website next.

3 Likes

This is a sublime idea

1 Like