ApeCoin in NY Fashion Week ‘23

Hey guys! Excited to be working with the amazing fashion designer Vivienne Tam on her fashion show in a few weeks and she is excited to feature ApeCoin in her designs. The project brief is below.

Here’s her show from last fall, which included Yat Siu’s Bored Ape and 6529’s Cryptopunk. It got 500 million media impressions! Excited to bring ApeCoin to the fashion world.

Category
Branding, Marketing - 2023 New York Fashion Week Integration

Abstract
This proposal seeks to get approval to have the ApeCoin image used in Vivienne Tam’s NYFW 2023 Fall/Winter Collection at 8pm EST, 2/12/2023 to bring a more awareness and diverse audience to ApeCoin.

Motivation
Vivienne’s show featuring ApeCoin will bring +200 news stories/articles with +1 billion global media impressions - influencing global pop culture while bringing the women’s segment into the Metaverse and WEB3.

Rationale
Vivienne’s next collection is inspired by going deeper into the Metaverse and Web3, highlighting interoperability and how to unlock utility and experiences to the physical world.

New York Fashion Week is one of the big four global fashion weeks and has an economic impact of over 600 million dollars to the city larger than the SuperBowl.

Vivienne Tam, honored by Forbes magazine as one of the “25 Top Chinese Americans in Business” is an international designer known for her culture-bridging, east meets west fashion as well as pioneering global collaborations marrying fashion with technology and renowned brands such as HP, Lenovo/Moto, Tencent, Google and Starbucks.

Specification
The approach proposed is as follows:

1. Vivienne to develop fashion patterns based on ApeCoin.
  2. Vivienne to present concept to ApeCoin community.
  3. ApeCoin Designs appear on the runway at NYFW on 2/12/2023.

Steps to Implement
Vivienne ‘s team will manage the runway show and production process. Vivienne’s PR Team LEDE to work with ApeCoin for talking points for media.

Timeline
ASAP

Overall Cost
No additional cost required.
If ApeCoin would like to sponsor the fashion show or after party, that would require a separate fee/budget.
If ApeCoin fashion items go into commercial production, then we will negotiate a separate agreement. This is to obtain the rights of Couture sample pieces to be featured in the Fall Winter 2023 Show.

Proposals submitted to the AIP Ideas category can be vague, incomplete ideas. Topics submitted here are not required to be submitted as a formal AIP Draft Template, however, you may still use the template if you wish.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @swan and thanks for posting what seems like a great opportunity to showcase ApeCoin at New York Fashion Week.

The space could use world-class fashion designers and the idea of our brand walking the runway, well that’s pretty cool.

Okay so here’s the thing:

I’m sure legal will chime in and bring clarity to any “promotional” issues.

I just wanna know what your relationship is with Vivienne Tam - are you part of her official team, what’s your position/role, do you have the authority to sign IP Licensing agreements with the APE Foundation, etc?

Don’t have much info on you, wanna get to know you and looking out for the DAO.

Also, how did you hear about us and have you joined the WG0 Discord yet?

Onward
SSP :fist:t4:

9 Likes

So…
Where is an ApeCoin on those shirts???.. Dis you prepare any examples.

Many people voiced being sick from new york and qany combinnation proposals linking to ay of big events. Many dont drink - this is just out of fashion.
Plus sponsoring some afterparty for some megaeligible - just goes against all decentralisation.
What im trying to say - not interested in APE DAO sponsoring afterparties for non APEcoin payed events or free to come for all Apecoin Holders.

Unless all of Apecoin holders have access eligibility on first serve first claim basics to that show and party - its a no.

2 Likes

Big fan of Vivienne Tam but would echo @ssp1111 questions/comments.

Looking forward to learning more…

AC

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing this proposal, really glad it came up as I am especially interested in fashion in Web3! It sounds like a great opportunity for ApeCoin to be a part of Vivienne Tam’s NYFW show. The idea of using ApeCoin’s image in the show not only brings awareness to the brand but also brings in a diverse audience (for one, fashion has an audience that skews female more than blockchain or Web3). Being a part of Vivienne’s show is a way to get a lot of media coverage and influence global pop culture while also promoting the integration of the Metaverse and Web3 into the fashion industry.

New York Fashion Week is a big deal in the fashion industry and has a significant economic impact, so being a part of it would be great exposure for ApeCoin. Vivienne Tam is an internationally renowned designer known for her culture-bridging and technology-integrated designs. It’s great that Vivienne is already inspired by the Metaverse and Web3, and this collaboration with ApeCoin seems to be a great fit.

The approach proposed sounds good, Vivienne developing the patterns based on ApeCoin, and then presenting it to the community. The idea of ApeCoin designs appearing on the runway at NYFW is exciting. To confirm, would the team of Vivienne will handle the show production and PR? Would your team be open to working with ApeCoin for media talking points?

It’s great that there is no additional cost required, but if ApeCoin wants to sponsor the fashion show or after party, it will require a separate AIP. Also, if ApeCoin fashion items go into commercial production, we would negotiate a separate agreement, correct? The idea of obtaining the rights of couture sample pieces to be featured in the Fall Winter 2023 show is a great idea.

Overall, I think this is a great opportunity for ApeCoin to showcase its integration into the fashion industry and gain media attention. I would like to ask the team a few final questions:

1. What are the potential risks and challenges we may face?
  2. Given the show date of Feb. 12th, would timing be an issue for execution of this proposal?
  3. How can we measure the success of this collaboration?
  4. Given your industry experience, are there any other potential collaborations or partnerships we should consider?
  5. Could the fashion show pieces be auctioned off or raffled to the community after the show?
4 Likes

Hi There, we work directly with her on a daily basis. Typically Vivienne charges quite a bit for integrations into her show. She incorporated some of her friends like Yat Siu’s ape to her last collection. It was a huge hit!

We do have the ability to get quick turnarounds and agreements with Vivienne she’s super engaged directly. I met Vivienne at Art Basel and shared her last collection with me and I’m a huge fan I’m totally on board with her vision. She’s trying to support and grow the industry. She’s a big believer in the future.

1 Like

So…
Where is an ApeCoin on those shirts???.. Dis you prepare any examples.

The Designs have to first appear on the Runway for them to be press worthy.

Many people voiced being sick from new york and qany combinnation proposals linking to ay of big events. Many dont drink - this is just out of fashion.
Plus sponsoring some afterparty for some megaeligible - just goes against all decentralisation.
What im trying to say - not interested in APE DAO sponsoring afterparties for non APEcoin payed events or free to come for all Apecoin Holders.

Vivienne does not drink either. Her couture shows are really a form of art. She’s always been an an outsider and loves to build bridges. She came to the US with very little and had to work from the ground up. She’s been a designer for over 20 years but likes to challenged norms and the industry. Always a maverick. Obviously why she is first and I’m guessing the first designer to approach this. She loves sharing her platform to engage many others

Unless all of Apecoin holders have access eligibility on first serve first claim basics to that show and party - its a no.

In terms of putting the collection into production. She’d be happy to offer an exclusive to ApeCoin holders first.

1 Like

Thank you Bored.John.

1. What are the potential risks and challenges we may face?

Aligning with some key messaging from Apecoin would be key. We want to share the vision accurately of Apecoin.

1. Given the show date of Feb. 12th, would timing be an issue for execution of this proposal?

This is such an important moment we would love to move mountains to make this happen.

1. How can we measure the success of this collaboration?

The amount of Press Pickups/Articles. And it will be instant.

1. Given your industry experience, are there any other potential collaborations or partnerships we should consider?

There are many but I would start with this opportunity with Vivienne as a learning opportunity that will help build out a deeper strategy.

1. Could the fashion show pieces be auctioned off or raffled to the community after the show?

She’s very open to alternative retail models, she’s open to giving Apecoin holders an exclusivity and would happily donate pieces to a worthy cause.

1 Like

Thanks.

Do you have a Twitter or Linkedin profile confirming your association with VT?

• Who is the “we” you mention?
  • What is the work you do for her on a daily basis?
  • Are you part of her team or did you just meet her at Art Basel ?

Sorry to ask so many basic questions, but you just joined yesterday, have only read 2 topics and have not introduced yourself to the community - who are you? :laughing:

If you need assistance in drafting up a proposal, please DM me or @0xSword or anyone on the ApeComms team we’d be happy to show you around.

Just require a little more info please - thanks
SSP✊🏽

2 Likes

Welcome to ApeCoin DAO!

Given the length of time it takes for AIPs to even reach the Snapshot phase, it’s essentially an impossible ask to have this ready if the event itself is in fifteen days, I’m afraid.

Hello all! My name is Swan. I was the global head of digital marketing at Nike, Revlon, and Estee Lauder. I built 3.7 million followers on Clubhouse during the pandemic and became a speaker and creator. When NFTs had a moment of popularization on Clubhouse, I fell into web3 and now focus most of my time hosting and advising in our amazing space! I’ve worked with Adidas x BAYC on Into the Metaverse, Cool Cats, BFF, gmoney, Jen Stark, Micah Johnson, Bryan Brinkman, Superchief, and a variety of other projects and platforms. I spoke on 42 stages last year about web3 including NFT NYC, NFT LA, Eth Denver, Consensus, SXSW, CES and focus on education and stewardship. My handles on TW+IG are @swansit and @swan on Clubhouse. I’ve always been doxxed. I am late to joining the forums but have been an ApeCoin holder since the Otherside launch. Apologies for the late introduction.

Kerry Chrapliwy is Vivienne’s project lead and has worked with her on many shows in the past. He has been responding here to your questions! I have been on Vivienne’s team for NYFW 2023 for the past few months, running the digital experience component. Here’s a photo of us reviewing fabrics last month! Swan Sit on Instagram: "So excited for New York Fashion Week! Been noodling a digital experience for a year and finally found the right designer to bring it to life. Honored to be partnering with the visionary @viviennetam and my ride-or-die @meremo23. Sneak peek at us reviewing fabrics last month 👀💃🏻 Stay tuned!"

Vivinne’s show last fall featured 6529’s Cryptopunk, BAYC, Cyberkongz, and Awkward Astronauts in her 2023 Spring Summer Collection. Her Fall Winter 2023 Collection premiering on 2/12/23 is inspired by the future of web3 and the expansive potential of NFTs through many applications and interoperable worlds. Vivienne strongly wishes that Apecoin be represented in her design narrative as one of these cornerstones.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forums Swan! So glad to meet you and to have you here.

As @CryptoLogically says, the likelihood of getting this idea to a formatted proposal and then 7 days on Snapshot in time for NYFW may not be in your favour - unless it somehow gets fast-tracked, which would then be a whole other debate regarding favoritism, inside agendas, etc – not very DAO-like at all.

Putting NYFW aside, perhaps we could work on putting together a calendar of fashion events for 2023, both IRL and virtual? Seems like your passion, your network and the opportunity to create a win-win collab is a no-brainer.

Side note: do you have any connections in the athleisure world? Asking for our friends at BAYC/MAYC :laughing:.

Glad you’re here, feel free to dm if you’d like to get more involved with fashion or our network of IRL Events.

Onward
SSP :fist:t4:

2 Likes

Everyone has a lot of merch I think its not a secret. Also many companies ofer to createe unique clothing per order or personal.

Maybe if it were done specifically only for an apecoin at apecoin fest or something - that would be unique.

New York is in a very bad regulatory position, not only about crypto coins promotion but not even able to use basic binance and so on. Man y DEFI people and WEB moved away from there to Boston. Some to Miami or Texas. Its not a city to be in for WEB3 in large, more for NFT basic collectors no needing KYC nor Licenses for earnings.

Simultaneously I am glad about her journey compassion.

As a designer myself - never borrowed no-ones IP, In the same time if I would like to put some general words or symbols on clothing - anyone can:

example: Stop sign, WEB word, internet symbols…

If someone is a part of the DAO i don’t think they need permission for IP usage because they are a part.
Otherwise some people here would be owning money here most likely.

The only think is that is not a commercial kind of IP so nit can not be legally licensed. Do you understand what its means?

1 Like

I was thinking about your idea. And was thinking what would be the cost of your participation and production for te fest we putting in place.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @swan

Thank you for your contribution and the discussion. Are you pleased with the feedback you have received from the community? If so, this proposal can move forward to the Draft Preparation stage. If you would like to extend the discussion period by another seven days please let us know within the next 24 hours.

Best,
-mallard

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Thank you @swan for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @swan please see your messages for the next steps.

Best,
-mallard

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@swan has requested to withdraw their application.

This AIP will be moved to and remain in the Withdrawn AIPs category.

Kind Regards,

@Lost.Admin