AIP-265: 2/3 "Supermajority" Requirement to Alter Fundamental Tenets of ApeCoin DAO and its Operations

I think you’re coming closer to the “meat” of it now, i.e. how can we make sure the votes are more educated as opposed to “I skimmed through, amount won’t bankrupt the DAO, sure why not, YES” or “Too long, don’t know this ape, f it, NO.”

Not sure how to solve this, but def a good thing to think about. I mean, should AIP authors make a simple 3-question quiz about their AIP that every voter must answer/pass before they can vote? lol That’s one way to ensure they’ve read it through.

I’m glad you’re thinking about it and I will just be very helpful and shrug and say that I’m looking forward to reading your final thoughts haha. GLHF

PS: I also don’t think we’ll ever fully solve this, so we should keep in mind. The system needs to be good; it simply can’t ever be perfect. The only perfect system is a dictatorship!

3 Likes

Sasha, thanks again. Agreed 100%

Voting qualification of some kind would solve so very much IRL, and arguably online too.

Just today I heard aggressive criticisms of an AIP up for vote that revealed the person being aggro didn’t 1. grasp what the DAO can or can’t do, and 2. bother to offer / ask comments, concerns or questions in the months the AIP was up for discussion here.

If in addition that person, or others similar, have an influential amount of $APE, it damages this whole process, its purpose and potential.

Is there an appetite for some kind of qualified voting? All comments welcome.

5 Likes

I would vote against this as so little money has gone out so far in relative terms compared to the size of the DAO

4 Likes

Instead of trying to change voting rights, I suggest focusing on educating voters. Explain that the ApeCoin DAO is not a for-profit organization, and has no expectation of financial return on investment for apecoin grants. Perhaps including a statement like that at the top of each snapshot description would help voters understand they should not be voting like a venture capitalist expecting a financial return on their investment?

3 Likes

Thank you. Isn’t the solution better proposals, and voters making an effort to understand them while voting in-line with the Mission?

We could give away the entire endowment to a random person tomorrow. Wouldn’t make this a better, more effective DAO.

Thanks. I’ve heard versions of this “voting like a VC comment” from others too. I’ve not seen that happen, but in any case the point is definitely about more informed voting.

I suggest if voters need to be informed about basic functions and principles at the very last second prior to voting, the DAO is failing and in that case some new form of threshold - whether it be a higher threshold of awareness, pass / fail, both, etc. - is of great value.

Maybe we get there in part through this discussion.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it in a few different forms, yesterday’s being “for this amount of money you should be giving the DAO equity in your business” on the twitter space. Previously were very similar comments when I look at when people comment while voting “No” on snapshot.

When I try to match the no-voters on snapshot I usually cannot find them on on this forum or on the WG0 discord. So it makes sense to me to repeat the mission and clarification about non-profit grants as much as possible. I don’t know how else you are going to reach those that do not engage in the conversations here. But maybe that is because I rarely look at, or participate, on twitter.
Yesterday was an anomaly for me to listen to a twitter space.

5 Likes

Hello. We’ve recently just restarted voting after a long delay. Please consider holding on moving this forward until we can get the results from the active token voters. If this were to go up after a heated week, it could be voted up or down based on emotions. Just something to consider. Thanks Broono

1 Like

I strongly support requiring 2/3 “in favor” for any proposal that has a cost to implement (maybe over some nominal amount) or that changes the voting rules or structure of the DAO.

1 Like

@dar Thanks very much.

I’m not a fan of crucial AIP info being spread in pieces across various platforms and formats.

Like you I rarely participate on Twitter, so I did listen to that Spaces you ref’d. I can’t say anything kind about it, other than to praise the AIP authors for keeping their cool.

What info was on-topic and germane to the AIPs could’ve been (or already was) put in one place - here - in writing which could be searched, read and easily referenced in minutes rather than 2 hours.

" I don’t know how else you are going to reach those that do not engage in the conversations here. "

I suggest the way to reach those who do not participate here - where the AIPs are actually presented, evolved and discussed, is to make this the place for relevant AIP info & discussion. The alternative is enabling uninformed voting, I suggest for the sake of further discussion.

What about an NFT or POAP required to vote on an AIP, which can only be gained by reading the AIP thread here? I don’t know if I even favor this; it just came to mind. Discord already keeps track of whether someone read, commented, etc. on a thread.

Or no place on a Stages stage unless the question has been posted here first, thus allowing AIP authors to answer verbally in the moment and in writing for future reference / comments?

@0xSword Thank you.

When I posted this, I expected crickets and that’d be that.

Instead we have quite the opposite, and a variety of worthwhile ideas and avenues to explore in addition to - or instead of - changing pass / fail threshold for some or all types of votes.

Even if this were to go to an AIP Draft tomorrow it’d take awhile awhile before being up for vote.

As-is I expect to keep this discussion open as long as comments are coming in, then figuring out what different ideas are in evidence and how to best present those. Some may best be served by research or input / collab from the Governance WG0.

It’ll take awhile, and maybe I’m not even the one to lead it but so far so good.

Maybe the simplest thing that could proceed to AIP for the time being - on which there seems to be no opposition - is the idea of a higher pass / fail threshold for votes that change or add to fundamental tenets or operations of the DAO.

We’d just need to define that. Is there an existing list of “fundamental” tenets, operating procedures and values? I’d include the Mission Statement in that.

Thoughts anyone?

2 Likes

Why not submit two:

• super majority requirements
  • fee for high implementation cost proposals (see other thread)

We could run the two side by side.

1 Like

Thanks @secengjeff

I’ve suggested splitting off super majority into its own AIP. See post above yours.

We’d first need a reasonable comprehensive list / definition of what existing documents, charters, AIPs (or whatever) comprise the DAO’s fundamental tenets, values and operating procedures.

Am hoping a steward, mod, or someone from SC will chime in with an existing link to those items soon, and if not I’ll reach out to them directly.

A fee hasn’t been suggested in this thread. Maybe that’s something you’d like to run with separately? I’m unsure if it’s within the spirit of the DAO/AIPs or whether its legally grey (I believe it is a legal concern).

Sure I can focus on the fee proposal. Any feedback on what threshold would warrant a fee? Maybe 20K APE+ cost to implement requires a 100 APE fee?

1 Like

No opinion on that personally. Maybe others have.

Suggest starting with clarity whether it’d even be legally OK to demand & accept fees.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@br00no has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

@Lost.Admin

Hi @br00no!

Regarding this, there’s a governance guide on the website, is that what you’re looking for?

2 Likes

Yass! That should do. Knew I’d seen it somewhere … on the official ApeCoin.com as it turns out. Hooray for the organization of centralization! :slight_smile:

Much thanks, AA. This is enough data and empowerment for me to proceed with an AIP Draft for at least the “new threshold for fundamental DAO changes” idea. I’ll do that soon, pending any further input or major objection in this thread on that topic in the next couple days.

2 Likes