Elect a leader of the DAO

Keep in mind this idea is of course in idea phase.

The problem I see for members is not knowing who is responsible in regards to the DAO. Even when they contact someone, there are other parties involved, making it a group thing, or none of them have the power to make decisions, AND they rotate every 6 months. Yes we do have SC and GWG, and they play more of advisory role as they implied. And let me ask you this. Who makes the contract and terms with token custody for example. Who agreed to pay high legal fees? These are high expenses in our DAO, and we don’t have an appointed person to negotiate these terms when we have other options. Or we don’t need this AIP, who will make these developments happen? SC?

ELECT A LEADER OF THE DAO:

1. New independent person
    1. Chairman inside Special Council
0 voters

PROPOSAL CATEGORY:

Process (Improvement)

TEAM DESCRIPTION:

Author: @buuvei (Level 3 Regular)
Stakeholders: anyone with 1 $ape

ABSTRACT:

I believe we need to appoint a leader for the DAO. We need at least 1 person to lead and be responsible for the direction of the DAO. You believe this will ruin decentralization, I believe this will create order and purpose.

BENEFIT TO APECOIN ECOSYSTEM:

• direction
  • responsibility
  • communication

KEY TERMS:

Definitions of any terms within the proposal that are unique to the proposal, new to the APE Community, and/or industry-specific (optional).

PLATFORM & TECHNOLOGIES:

Current platform

STEPS TO IMPLEMENT & TIMELINE:

Currently, I see 2 options:

1. elect an independent person to lead Special Council and Working Groups
  2. elect a Chairman inside Special Council

OVERALL COST:

Zero

I like the idea, there’s no accountability right now in the DAO. Tho I still like how there’s no central figure in its true essence of decentralization, the lack of updates on passed AIP from authors and lack of accountability regarding the milestones by various Working Group may give rise to some concerns in near future.

The current Special Council cannot be in a position nor someone above them coz we know how whale voting would prefer the popular ones or someone who has never even stepped inside the DAO or even know the basic stuffs about whats happening here.

P.S. I wish to see some feedback from the community members, more details into the scope of work required here. Good idea @buuvei

2 Likes

I have some thoughts here, but would really like to hear the community feedback first.

As it happens, I am working on (before this post went up) the reporting mechanisms for GWG.

3 Likes

I think most people don’t want to see another paid position that adds to the bureaucracy. I feel like we are at a point where we can only “restructure”. Love that @bigbull is already working on reporting. I know we have a section that’s supposed to be for accepted AIP authors that’s meant for updates, but is that even being used? I see so many posts but no replies from authors.

To be honest I can see why most people don’t want most AIPs to pass. It feels like we sink money into something and get absolutely nothing in return. ThankApe is always used as the counter example, but it would be kinda sad if that was the only successful AIP from the DAO. More accepted AIP authors need to continue to engage with the community to show progress. Maybe then people might be willing to fund cooler projects.

1 Like

You should really leave a third option of no change. Or even better first have a poll asking:

Do you want an extra role to do xyz
Y
N

Then part 2, give the two options.

1. elect an independent person to lead Special Council and Working Groups
  2. elect a Chairman inside Special Council

Right now, you are only going to get people to vote who want one of your options.

7 Likes

Council and Working Groups electing a Chairman within Special Council I believe is a better option, they would be better prepared to successfully conclude this issue.

@buuvei, thanks for bringing this up. I think a rotating chairman (“Great Ape?!”) makes sense personally; it’s important to balance direction and power and not have an individual be enshrined, in my opinion (I’m going to go out on a limb and guess legal counsel has an opinion on this too). Perhaps it is rolled into the role of SC members, and they each get a few months of the term as the chairman, sort of similar, IIRC, to the United Nations Security Council. I am also sensitive to the idea of a new position, as @leyota notes.

@bigbull let me know if there’s anything I can personally do to help from the Horizen side on reporting/transparency (not to put our finger on the scale but in terms of advice/intros to folks who can help), I know a number of external folks who are really thoughtful and involved in the area who would be worth talking to. I’m happy to set up those intros as you’re thinking through it.

Also, one thing to note is that many of the real or perceived governance issues are ultimately scaling and process issues. I don’t think people should feel discouraged; 95% of DAOs would kill to have to figure out effective governance at scale. I know @Lost and those guys are thinking through a lot of the AIP facilitation procedures/processes/tools as well, so I would be interested in them weighing in if they can.

1 Like

Hi @buuvei,

The community feedback period for your proposal would be ending in less than 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, your next steps are to finalize your proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@buuvei has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 8 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

-@Facilitators

My voice for a “member of the Council”, but I do support the position @bigbull mentioned several posts above concerning the third option “leave all unchanged”. In this case I’d vote respectively.

1 Like

Hi @buuvei,

The community feedback period for your proposal would be ending in less than 24 hours.

• If you’re content with the feedback received, your next steps are to finalize your proposal using the AIP Draft Template.

• A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft. Upon receipt of the final Draft, we will review and provide instructions on the next steps.

• Are you ready to proceed to the next phase or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.