Forum Badges: Adding Progress Bars for Better User Experience

I believe implementing progress trackers for badge acquisition on the ApeCoin forum could significantly improve the user experience. The current badge system provides excellent incentives for participation, but lacks visibility into how close one is to attaining a given badge. Adding simple progress bars below each badge, indicating actions completed toward unlocking it, would rectify this issue.

Members could then easily track their advancement toward each forum badge in a transparent way. This progress tracker would also create a sense of anticipation, giving users incremental positive feedback as they get closer to earning a badge. From a gamification perspective, seeing steady progress is powerful for driving continued engagement.

Overall, supplementing the well-designed badge incentives with visible progress tracking would optimize the system. It offers users clearer goals to work toward, ability to gauge their effort invested, and satisfying visualization of their forum activity payoff. This aligns well with the motivations behind gamification, keeping community members striving purposefully. I believe this enhancement could meaningfully improve the badge experience and should be relatively straightforward to implement.

27 Likes

That is quite the suggestion, it’s going to make badge tracking progress a whole lot easier

4 Likes

This is a nice idea, it would allow for the tracking of your engagement in real time

4 Likes

Unique idea Onnuel :sparkles:

3 Likes

I spoke to Chris about this and he said the aim is for you not to know how close you are to getting a badge. So users should basically just interact with the forum and the badges comes as a surprise

4 Likes

Ah, a strategy to maintain suspense, I understand now.

3 Likes

It’s an amazing idea, but I also think the element of surprise is the fun thing about the badges.
It’d be better for users to just be active in the DAO because of their love for the project not cos they’d want to check their progress in acquiring a new badge.

2 Likes

I love surprise, it won’t be bad if i get surprised with all the badges :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Its a fine idea, i understand what you want users to be tracking their progress towards to the badge but also it will also make one to be just interacting aimless without right cognitive but we need the right motive to interact with the community

3 Likes

It’d be a season of surprises :open_mouth: :smirk:

1 Like

But it would be nice to know imo

2 Likes

Nice idea it’s very innovative

1 Like

For me the forum should be informative and direct, so I’m sure gamifying it more will add zero value there.

I’m actually for removing all badges except trust levels.

I just worry that valid responses to threads will be lost in the mix due to pages of low effort engagement farming replies looking to add another badge to their name.

Does anyone here even check badges?

3 Likes

You’re right, the main purpose of participating in a forum is to engage with the community and contribute meaningfully, not just to accumulate badges. At the same time, earning badges can add an element of fun and motivation that enhances the experience, as long as people don’t lose sight of the underlying goal of building trust and rapport through quality interactions.

2 Likes

This a really great ideology honestly i will like this to be looked into

Agree with that. Overall trust level is valuable only, other badges are just for fun and valueless. If anyone want to get a specific one and motivated on that, he will keep in mind all the requirements for achieving it. No need to have a progress level chart for that.

3 Likes

I agree with you, the trust level badges are the important ones, there’s no need to track progress in acquiring other badges

3 Likes

I agree about the low effort. I mean these accounts, don’t even have real profiles, no pfp or photo, no profile info, no twitter link etc.

However, it isn’t that gamifying is the issue. It is how you design the gamifying so that the things that add value and are not low effort engagement are the things that are given rewards or the majority of awards.

Personally, I found the badges a useful motivation to get more deeply involved in the DAO, but I appreciate it needs thought.

Btw I don’t think rewarding with direct APE rewards for low effort is the way, but having a algorithm created which could enhance a certain percentage in voting weight.

People grinding for few APE in rewards would not be incentivised to grind for this unless they valued the DAO. What do you think?

1 Like

You make an excellent point - for a DAO’s forum to truly thrive, the incentive structures need to promote meaningful engagement, discussion and not low effort engagement

Great idea, I’d be nice if there is progress trackers for badge acquisition on the ApeCoin forum.

2 Likes