AIP-279: Bored Apes Storm Hollywood (BASH-AIP): Expanding the Ecosystem with Battle-tested IP Veteran and the Batman Producers

Proposal Name: Bored Apes Storm Hollywood (BASH-AIP): Expanding the Ecosystem with Battle-tested IP Veteran and the Batman Producers

Proposal Category: Core: Ecosystem Fund Allocation

Abstract:

This proposal aims to expand the ApeCoin DAO ecosystem through the creation of an animated series pilot and three spin-off comic books, featuring characters owned by ApeCoin DAO holders. We envision a gritty, action-packed, and comedic, anime-inspired adaptation of the American Ape comic book series that prominently features ApeCoin as the primary currency of the Metaverse, reaching beyond the echo chamber of “Crypto Twitter” that is primed to be pitched directly to international streamers via our producing team’s existing development, production and distribution pipelines.

Author Description:

Ramón Govea, an “OG” member of the Bored Ape community, is the guiding force at the helm of Myth Division, an innovative entertainment company established before the advent of the NFT boom. With an innate passion for storytelling, world-building, and the creation of multi-platform experiences, Ramón has been building a content infrastructure that interweaves elements of comics, games, animation, and blockchain. His wide-ranging expertise as a writer, producer, and world-builder has seen him develop well-received narratives and produce compelling content for various distribution channels. Among his achievements, Ramón has successfully self-published and secured international distribution for four of his original comic book titles, namely “Incidentals” for Lion Forge Comics, “Starseed Memoirs” for the webcomics giant Tapas Media, and both “Menagerie” and “ACD” through Diamond Comics Distributors, the largest distributor of English-language comics, toys, and games. Furthermore, Ramón’s expertise extends to managing the development and production of merchandise-based IP at the highest levels, demonstrated during his tenure as Chief Content Officer for NBA-All Star Baron Davis’ Black Santa brand.

Team Description:

Myth Division, Ramón’s innovative franchise development company has been building in the Web 3 space for over 2 years, investing time and money into incorporating its community’s NFT assets into ongoing, high-quality storytelling since June of 2021. The comic book imprint has successfully launched the longest running Bored Ape Yacht Club themed comic book series to date.

Myth Division has teamed up with David Uslan, a key member of IP3, a private ecosystem of creators, strategic partners and investors at the intersection of Web3 and the entertainment sector. Along with his producing partner and father, Michael Uslan, they have over 50 years of combined experience in Hollywood. Instrumental in the development of franchises such as Batman, The Lego Movie, and National Treasure, as well as the Emmy award-winning Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego, the Uslans bring a wealth of knowledge and relationships to ensure the success of entertainment franchises. They believe in this project and have agreed to help us take this directly to the streamers via strong, long term relationships. They Uslans are currently repped by WME.

In addition to the Uslans, the IP3 team includes a group of seasoned professionals with expertise in various aspects of the entertainment industry. The IP3 team’s international and legal expertise is also a valuable driver of the Moonbirds in Hollywood project and the team functions as advisors to the official 0n1Force brand. With extensive experience working with international production and distribution partners and navigating complex legal issues in the entertainment industry, this expertise will be leveraged to ensure that the project is successful both domestically and internationally.

We are joined by Consulting Producer/Animator, Kushagra Kushwaha. Based in Japan, in 2018, he began working as animator and concept designer for Animation Studio Seven and has gone on to do a lot more. His animation credits include JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Try Knights, Yugioh Sevens, Battle Athletes: Restart, Hensuki, Kyoto Tera Machi and many more.

Motivation:

The proposal presents a novel way to expose ApeCoin outside of Crypto Twitter, integrating it into mainstream comics, animation, and web3 gaming while directly involving Apecoin DAO community members. It seeks to increase the token’s utility, provide innovative licensing opportunities, and enhance the ApeCoin ecosystem by taking it to a mainstream fandom that already enjoys anime, comics and gaming culture, namely those who appreciate collectibles more than any other demographic.

Rationale:

The proposal aligns with Apecoin Community’s overwhelming desire to integrate blockchain technology with traditional Hollywood storytelling, fostering engaging content that resonates with a diverse audience and strengthening ApeCoin’s position within both the metaverse and its exposure to the real world.

So why us? We’ve finished a proof of concept that we are using as a bar for the level of quality we are aiming for with our production. Here is the link, produced by Myth Division: https://opensea.io/assets/ethereum/0x25ad43defbd8ae997f011556823b415f08936ce5/0

Key Terms:

Pilot - The first episode created as a sample of the proposed series. It’s used to gauge viewer interest and secure approval for further episodes from network executives or streaming platforms.

Streamer - Streaming Platforms like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Max, Crunchyroll, Verv, and others

Showrunner - The top executive in charge of a television show, overseeing all aspects of its production. Think of them as the CEO of a TV series, managing everything from script-writing to editing, casting, and budgeting.

WME - Formed in 1898, WME is the longest-running talent agency. In 2009, William Morris Agency (WMA) merged with Endeavor to become one of the leading entertainment and media companies in the world. In 2014, WME acquired IMG, the global leader in sports, events, media and fashion, forming Endeavor.

IP3 - a curated ecosystem of seasoned, accredited creators, strategic partners and traditional finance investors at the intersection of Web3 and the entertainment sector

Myth Division - A multi-platform entertainment and franchise development company actively working between the evolving web3 space and traditional mainstream entertainment

Specifications:

The project involves the creation of a traditional 2D anime series pilot and three spin-off comic books using blockchain technology and traditional storytelling methods.

The Ethereum Blockchain will be used to mint a short animated loop representing the feat of accomplishing the pilot and will be available to claim by any wallet with at least 1 Apecoin.
The comics will also be available to mint exclusively using Apecoin, and holders of a TBD amount of Apecoin will be able to access our existing token-gated website to read the three (3) comic books when they are complete. There are elements of the project regarding the comics and availability of the animated loop NFTs that are best decided on by vote of the DAO and through gamification.

Gamification will be supported by the work of the ThankApe team and discussions are tentatively set to begin if/when the AIP is passed.

The content will be developed, produced and released through traditional teams of artists, while granting exclusive access for Apecoin holders to claim free digital collectibles.

Steps to Implement:

Ultimately this is a project led by a small team of seasoned producers until writing, then production begins. At that point, our team begins utilizing the budget to cover the associated costs, with:

• Development (writing & voiceover talent attachment) at 6%
  • Production (animation and comic book production) being a majority of the allocation at 80%,
  • Post-production/Sound of the animated pilot at roughly 10%
  • Legal fees for licensing and production agreements at roughly 4% or less

Here are the general steps, as carefully planned by our experienced team:

1. Secure funding of $300,000 USD in $APE for Developing, Packaging & Producing the Animated Series Pilot
  2. Schedule follow up meetings with highly respect Animation companies that have produced major animated series and international streamers that have expressed potential interest in a NFT-native series like this
  3. Finalize Script and Production Partnerships that will appeal to both our Eastern and Western holders
  4. Begin the gamification and voting process to select the Apecoin community holders whose NFT-native characters will be featured in animation and/or comics with Thank Ape’s help.
  5. Include Product Integration of ApeCoin into the narrative as the Metaverse’s primary form of currency and a plot point in the story
  6. Secure licensing agreements for NFT-native characters to be featured in the animated pilot and/or comics
  7. Produce one (1) 20-22 Minute Pilot Episode for the anime series. Initial production will be led by a team based in Japan.
  8. Produce two (2) thirty-two page spin-off comic books, each starring an Apecoin Community Member’s NFT Character (Bored Ape, 0n1, CryptoPunk, WoW, Moonbird, The Plague, Azuki, Gutter Gang, etc)
  9. Develop and produce a comic book anthology featuring 10 stories, featuring characters voted on by the Apecoin DAO community and developed with the NFT holders.
  10. Add the finished books to our slate of content which will be shared with traditional print publishers like Image Comics, MacMillan, Penguin and others.
  11. Make the completed Comic Book Content available on our Myth Division token gated platform for reading, by anyone with a to-be-voted-on amount of Apecoin in their wallet
  12. Screen the Pilot exclusively on our token gated website for Apecoin Holders at the appropriate time, in conjunction with the mainstream release
  13. Include a Free Claim of an animated American Ape Loop NFT (similar to our proof of concept, BASYC #1.5 on Secondary Marketplaces) to mark the milestone of completion for anyone with a to-be-voted-on amount of Apecoin in their wallet

Timeline:

The goal is to produce a 20 to 22-minute animated pilot episode over the course of 16-19 months or less, capable of competing with the best animated content in the world, because we’re working with seasoned, accredited talent that has worked on some of the best animated content in the world. The sooner we can finish the better, but we will not sacrifice quality and are using our short proof-of-concept as a bar for quality.

After successful production and the right showrunner attachment, the goal is to leverage the pilot’s production quality and accredited team of Producers and Animators to secure distribution for a full eight to ten episode animated season on a major streaming platform. Should the need arise for more funds to complete the pilot, Myth Division will cover the cost to complete up to $75,000 of additional post production work.

Overall Cost:

The team is requesting $300,000 USD in $APE to produce the animated series pilot and three (3) spin-off comics, expanding the ApeCoin DAO ecosystem’s lore and raising awareness of the ApeCoin ecosystem through an ongoing mainstream animated television show and secure an international distribution deal for the comic books.

11 Likes

Love this. The vision is clear and this pitch was easy to follow.
Extremely bullish and ready to support this with my votes :fire:

I think the question everyone is wondering-- “How do I get my pfp involved?” and how many characters approx. will be featured/highlighted/included in this?

Would love more info on the character submission/voting process :eyes:

30 Likes

Love this so much @AmericanApe!! Thank you for sharing your proposal, we definitely need more stunning artists and creatives like you in the DAO.

Love that the proposal will be anime-inspired and feature multiple collections’ NFTs as well- I’d like to echo Sera’s questions & also request that you put some samples of your previous work into this AIP so everyone can see the caliber of work!

Finally, linking things like your Twitter or Myth Division might help people gain an idea of your background who aren’t already familiar.

-Halina.eth :cherry_blossom:

26 Likes

Thank you Sera! Really great question and obviously we’d want to make this happen very early on in the process, so I’m thinking for fairness it could be a combination of these three ways to qualify for a total of 24 spots across the one shot comics, anthology, and/or animated pilot. I’m open to other suggestions, but this is the initial thinking process.

Open Nomination and Voting: All DAO members would have a window to nominate an individual’s pfp they think should be featured, including their own. After that period of nominations, all DAO members vote on their top choices. The top 8 pfps with the most votes would get featured.

Lottery System: Interested members could submit their pfps for consideration, then 8 pfps are randomly selected through a lottery system. This method is purely luck-based and ensures equal opportunity for all entrants.

Merit-Based Selection: This could involve a system where members earn points or tokens for contributions to the DAO perhaps in conjunction with Thank Ape participation in events, or engagement in community activities. The top 8 members with the most points or tokens could get their pfps featured.

23 Likes

Thank you Halina! I’ve made some minor updates in the thread and answered in more detail under Sera’s question. Looking forward to hearing the community’s feedback on this process in particular.

12 Likes

I like it.

Would love to see pilots like this and other shorts screened at film festivals as well. I’m curious what the process for something like this to get picked up for regular programming on say, Netflix @AmericanApe is, and if additional funding could be provided to push that needle a little further and give it the best possible chance to succeed.

Nice concept…

AC

13 Likes

Thanks AllCity. Yes, that’s what this is gearing up for. Sometimes it will sell to a distributor based on a short proof of concept with some story element and strong package (Talent/Producers/Showrunner), but these days it’s harder and harder unless you come to the table with some of the financing and a finished pilot that is just impossible to turn down. We feel pretty strongly about the “Anime” space and based on our relationships, we know there is strong interest in multiple countries for content in this vein.

But you’re spot on with taking something like this to Netflix. That’s the ongoing behind the scenes intention between step 4 and step 9, which is where our explicit (on paper) alliance with WME, one of the top agencies in Hollywood comes into play. The supporting comics would ideally be released by our print publishing partner in conjunction with the marketing campaign for any final distribution for the pilot/series. That would give maximum exposure to the holders featured in those lore expanding stories as the debut of the series nears.

12 Likes

Interesting stuff… And appreciate you pulling the curtain back on it a little.

Excited to see where this goes, best of luck.

AC

9 Likes

Myth Division is a leader in NFT IP development in our space. The team, led by @AmericanApe, took the backstory I created for my Ape and wrote him into the American Ape saga perfectly, bringing the character to life in a way I never thought possible.

With the addition of IP3 to the partnership I can only imagine what this team can accomplish.

21 Likes

Appreciate you, ser! Thanks for being a Believer.

6 Likes

Got my vote want too hear more of this!

5 Likes

Hi @AmericanApe, Your proposal sounds fascinating and ambitious. Revolutionizing content and storytelling through the Bored Ape Yacht Club brand and creating an animated series and spin-off comics is an exciting venture. I’m curious about a few aspects of the project:

1. Can you elaborate on how $APE coin will be featured as the primary currency of the Metaverse within the narrative? How will its usage and value be portrayed?

2. What strategies do you have in mind to ensure high-quality storytelling and engage a broad audience beyond the existing ApeCoin holders?

3. How do you plan to facilitate DAO voting and selection methods for cameos, recurring roles, and guest appearances from the community? Will it be open to all Apecoin holders or specific PFP collections?

I’m looking forward to hearing more about your plans and how this proposal can contribute to the growth and relevance of ApeCoin.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

13 Likes

Hey, sure, MisterHype! Great questions.

1. There are a few facets to this question, so let me give some context. First, we have built settings for some of our storylines on 13 Sandbox Plots in Euphoria, a few plots from BAYC Official and we have been builting assets and environments in Unreal Engine 5.1 in anticipation of the Otherside Developers’ Kits, because we have 6 Otherdeeds, including 1 on the main island, #131. So as the story unfolds in the animated series and comic books, all business dealings, heists, small transactions, sales signs, and bounties will be in Apecoin. Much like traditional product integration works, we seamlessly weave Apecoin, it’s marketing materials and organic storytelling points into the presentation. As an anime inspired series in the action-comedy genre, we don’t see that integration as a problem. It would be presented as a Mcguffin in some cases as it will in the comic series.

Without giving too much away-- simultaneously, we’d highlight Apecoin as the primary currency in our metaverse builds, mirroring the experiences of the Metaverse on-screen and in the comics with gamified experiences that utilize the coin, along with the main storylines.

1. I think it’s simply a matter of talent. For the short we produced I asked a friend from RIOT games to direct and help me produce, so it’s about having an eye for quality, which I feel our track record with Myth Division titles proves thus far. In terms of engaging a broad audience, it’s no secret that BAYC is a global brand stretching from the Pacific to the Atlantic and everywhere in between. That’s why our focus on anime-inspired series makes sense not just for the internal BAYC/NFT community, with countless Anime pfp collections and the rise of Manga and Anime in the West. We only work with the best in the business, or I won’t put my name on it, so I’m confident we have found the right niche and collaborators to fill in any talent gaps, as I serve as the anchor between the OG NFT community and wherever the series may evolve.

2. I think it will have to be done on the blockchain, so some of the budget would go toward A. paying an existing service to help manage it and prevent botting/cheating B. My devs or perhaps even devs from the ApeDAO, would get paid to build a token-gated one pager to handle the voting structures based on having a token. If we’re going to move in the direction of decentralization, I’d want to give every holder of even a single Apecoin an opportunity to vote. I know this opens to manipulation, but this is the first time I’m even contemplating the pros and cons of excluding votes based on pfp collection held. I would probably open it up to discussion, to be honest since I hadn’t considered that option.

Thanks again for your questions, happy to answer more in a few Spaces this week. I know Grateful Ape has agreed to host me when the AIP is live and I’m sure I’ll do one or more of the weekly ApeComms Spaces, as usual. I pop in from time to time to stay up to date.

14 Likes

You might want to consider using snapshot for voting. The have the infrastructure built out already and are really low cost.

5 Likes

Wow this is soo cool cant wait to hear more of this !!!

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. I had a feeling we might be able to use it or something comparable for transparency and ease of functionality.

5 Likes

Thanks, we think so too and many members of our current and previous team have already worked on animated shows for the streamers, so it’s well within reach. We would love to show Hollywood that the community is willing to support a show.

4 Likes

Thanks! I will make myself available for several Twitter Spaces over the next 2 weeks while we prepare for and during the voting period.

6 Likes

Hi @AmericanApe,

Thank you for the detailed response! It’s fascinating to hear about the various facets of your project. Looking forward to seeing how the integration of Apecoin unfolds in the animated series and comic books, as well as its implementation in the metaverse builds. Talent and quality seem to be key factors in your production process, and it’s great to hear about your collaborations with industry professionals. The idea of utilizing the blockchain for voting structures can be fit with snapshot as @dar suggested.

I appreciate your willingness to engage in further discussions and I look forward to participating in upcoming Spaces and ApeComms events.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

6 Likes

Happy to ear that, i make sure attend every space soo cant wait to hear you

6 Likes