Should we remove Amy Wu (FTX Ventures) from the board?

If I were to speculate, it occurs to me that the two Council members representing the most active moving parts are currently Yat Siu at Animoca and Dean Steinbeck at Horizen. We know Maaria is stepping down, Amy is embattled and no longer represents an affiliated interest, and I’m not totally clear what the relationship with Alexis Ohanian of Reddit and 776 is at this time.

Those are my guesses, but I suppose we’ll have to wait until December or so to know for sure.

6 Likes

Hey 0xSword,

Yes creating an AIP to remove a Board member is something easy to do and can be done following what states AIP-1 :point_down:

I hear speculation that you wanna defend your position and your $10k a month by not being removed from your future ApeComms position, but again, that’s nothing related to this post and when time will come to vote for that the community will decide.

Obviously there needs to be some reasoning to remove or replace somebody, we can’t just create a random AIP without foundation to remove somebody just because we feel like, BUT, if there’s some reasoning and good motivation behind, yes we as a DAO can create that kind of AIP.

3 Likes

I highly recommend not creating that AIP. I am absolutely aware of the wording around AIP-1’s, and I still strongly argue that it is not a simple process & it is not as simple as you may think. You should read my posts a few more times, then realize there is a significant difference between the Foundation entity & a Working Group, and it is entirely relevant to this situation. You cannot just write a short AIP to remove members of the special council, it will not be simple. It likely will not get through the process.

2 Likes

In regards to this specific Post we don’t know yet who’s gonna be going for election, so this AIP idea was just to create more awareness, we’ll see what’s gonna happen.

For the future, I agree, it will not be simple to create an AIP to remove somebody from the Board, but if a situation arises were it’s needed for the community to have someone replaced or removed then the DAO can vote in which direction to go.

4 Likes

Super surprised to see these many discussions in this thread within a day. I would say, no matter if this action follows the rule of the DAO, the new election would be faster than writing this to an AIP and get passed. This will probably not be a problem soon.

6 Likes

I agree, the new election will be faster and will take care of it. I created the post to hear the feelings and thoughts of the community in regards to a delicate topic. I’m glad so many are participating.

2 Likes

My reason for being here is to transfer knowledge after dozens of calls w/ admins & tons of proposal stuff. I have the qualifications & understanding to write a removal proposal. There’s a really good chance that I write one, just to have a template for it. If I have to use that, it’s going to be serious, without chance of failure. What I haven’t figured out is what you want to get from your experience here. Are you going to be leading conversations around contentious subjects like this? In that case, there’s not much I can do for you.

2 Likes

Glad you have those skills 0x. My goal is not to create controversial arguments, but to have the DAO and the community in a position to prosper, and that’s hard without accountability. So yes, I’ll open conversations that are delicate if it’s needed.

Having a ready to use template will be helpful for sure!

2 Likes

When youre ready to have conversations about really building, instead of tabloid clickbait and snarky comments like you made above abt my 10k, my DMs are open. You did not further the goal of having a prosperous and well-positioned community today. I’m hopeful that tomorrow that may change.

I respectfully disagree here. I will Dm you on Twitter and would love to open a conversation to clear and further understand your position. You are doing amazing things for the community and it’s not my intention to make snarky comments, but also you saying that the DAO cannot create an AIP to remove or change a Board member is defending the status quo which I cannot accept.

2 Likes

I’m not wrong to point how incredibly complex process AIPs are. These often go into limbo over months because (i believe) the admins are too friendly to say “you don’t understand the process enough,” and decline the AIP authors from pushing them forward. I want to see you thrive here, and to do great things. I believe we share a lot of similar values, and where we may differ would interest you greatly.

When I arrived, I was quickly removed from backchannel discords because I brought up topics people didn’t want to talk about. In that respect, you have my apologies, because this whole thread has made me flinch at each response throughout the day. These are delicate topics, that deserve attention, but must be approached in a way to form a consensus around next steps. That’s where my hearts at.

3 Likes

It seems ridiculous that an AIP to remove a board member can be in conflict with AIP-113 due to the 3-month rule, doesn’t it?

Let’s be clear - Amy hasn’t been accused of anything (to my knowledge). However, hypothetically, what if she was indicted for dozens of crimes and on-chain evidence supported it?

Again, this is a hypothetical scenario. I want to make that abundantly clear. But in this situation, we couldn’t vote her our for the duration of her term lol.

That isn’t right and I’d love to hear a counterargument.

1 Like

It is encouraging to see this level of engagement from the community.

IMO the upcoming elections are the best way to change the status quo unless evidence of wrong doing is available.

Interesting question about whether the community wishes to be associated with CEXs, we all know they can go wrong and some of their downsides. It seems sensible to make a reasoned decision as a community as to the types of organisations we should be associated with.

If the decision is that CEX associations are in the interest of the community then great, but we need to accept that sometimes those associations will blow up in our faces and a mess will need to be cleared up. How would that fit into our values?

If we decide not to be associated with CEXs for sound reasons then we eliminate those blow up risks, but limit the partnership opportunities.

Apologies if this already in place but is there an agreed partnership strategy? If not this could be a good time to start creating one?

3 Likes

A role of Special Council members is to facilitate these interactions of the community. Similar to reviewing AIPs where it is their responsibility to remain neutral and not to advise business proposals, I believe our priority is to uphold the decentralized value of the DAO. Meaning, as long as the risks are mitigated for the DAO and the AIP is appropriate to meet all requirements by the Foundation, then it can presented for voting.

What does the DAO/its members value? It will take potentially contentious votes on issues for us to truly find out what those are. At the end of the day, what I value individually matters not whether the DAO chooses to proceed with an AIP (whatever that may be).

The fix here is a change in values, because other Special Council members may very well have associations with CEXes or government orgs that just haven’t been caught yet. What then? Do they get to stay just because their ponzi held out a few weeks longer, or because their associations haven’t been proven beyond shadow of doubt by a Supreme Court ruling?

We have to make the best decisions with the information available to us. These associations could be true, but without substantive evidence, it would be doubtful to lead to a successful vote to remove a council member. Though I still could be wrong! If the community chooses to put up an AIP, I am here to facilitate.

As it relates to being a Special Council Nominee, I always prefer to spend time where it is most needed. Complete tasks and move on the next one that needs executing. In this case, I would move on to the next issue to tackle because as a practical matter specifically:

• It is already confirmed to be in conflict with AIP-113 meaning a proposal would be pending until December 21st, 2022. Therefore is it worth our time and resources for potentially 10 days remaining in her term? I would be swayed if more substantive information about her negative involvement came to light, but at this point given the lack of public information available, I do lean to this not being an worthwhile endeavor for potentially 10 days to the next council cycle.

I am always open to re-assessing my opinions on all matters should new information become available.

5 Likes

Thank you 0xSword :yellow_heart:
Yes they are delicate topics and having you on the DAO with extensive knowledge on how to approach and present AIP’s is a huge asset to the whole and working/building together is necessary if we wanna thrive.
(P.S. I’m working on something atm to further increase accountability which I believe will be beneficial to the DAO and community).

2 Likes

Yes I believe we have to move forward and wait for the Special Council nominations which will define the DAO and it’s community moving forward.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.