Why aren't lock-up periods/supply per launch contributor transparently available?

Respectfully, a chunk of the community is wary of the lock-up periods given their opacity and the lack of clarity about how exactly lock-up schedules are broken up. I strongly empathize with this given the numerous staking rugs I’ve seen from other cryptocurrencies where VCs and initial investors dump once staking is live to dump on a new set of users that are highly incentivized to hold and essentially act as funnels from users to whales. I also empathize with this given the lack of invites for apes to join in the first round of funding and the relatively small supply of tokens for NFT holders

The ApeCoin site says:

…however it gives no insight on the proportion of tokens split up per lock-up schedule. This would not be an issue if all initial lock-up expirations were at 1 year, but one is at 6 months.

How can holders of ApeCoin not expect a massive dump at 6 months if we don’t know how the supply is split up? For all we know 12% of tokens are in this schedule and 2% are in the 1 year expiration ones. Couple this with the recent push for AIP-21 and AIP-22, which forcibly paused all other staking proposals, this feels like a perfect VC dump set-up

Can we get more clarity on these lock-up schedules and the percent of that 14% supply in each of the schedules? Even more transparently, a list of investors (even if anonymized) and their specific lock-up schedules would be tremendously helpful and transparent.

tl;dr we should make the lock-up periods more transparent so we know exactly how many tokens are unlocked at each period, otherwise holders are blind to risks of major dumping by VCs and launch contributors at specific periods

4 Likes

Only one launch contributor has the lock-up schedule that involves the 25 million unlock at 6 months. There is 80 million total in that vesting schedule and only 140 million total for the launch contributors so only possible for one of them to have the 6 month vesting schedule (very likely is animoca with that vesting schedule).

4 Likes

thanks NFTBeliever

also note that today’s announcement will lead to a 1 year lock-up for the proceeds of the dutch auction for the Otherside sale (https://twitter.com/OthersideMeta/status/1518734004022919168) which should assuage some of the dumping issues from Animoca (or whoever the first party is)

3 Likes

betting big on themselves!

Can you help me understand the lock-up? Otherside goes live, ApeCoin holders buy, the coins are then owned by Otherside (?) and lock-up for a year? How do they get back in supply?

This post was mostly about the lock-up for launch contributors, but to answer your question:

All coins generated by the Otherside sale will be separately locked up for a year by Yuga Labs, after which they are free to sell them on the market, hold them, etc. I imagine they would use the coins to fund development by selling some amount of them on the open market or perhaps by loaning portions of their stack for liquidity

Thank you, I know I was a little off topic, but I appreciate the clarity. I’m learning a lot here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.