AIP-326: Platform to Enable ApeCoin Powered Payments & Rewards for Apps & Games

very top and useful, hoping it works as soon as possible, it has my vote!

2 Likes

Among the EVM-based chains you’re considering, you mentioned Base as a particularly promising option. Can you provide more details on why Base stands out and how it aligns with the vision of ApeCoin’s platform?

What criteria are you using to determine its suitability for hosting ApeCoin related projects?

6 Likes

Very useful proposal! Would definitely help a lot with ApeCoin payment integrations when a lot of people start building with the ODK. The proposal has my full support, we need more solutions like these to help speedup development for the ecosystem.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response @Nova

Good to hear you’re building with the idea of attracting both web2 & web3.

Looking forward to how this proposal develops alongside the tech landscape with Apple hopefully going all in on web3 :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thanks @smartape! Appreciate the thorough and thoughtful questions. As a game developer you represent the target audience so your feedback/insight is invaluable to us.

1. Unity is our first target market with plans to expand to others down the road. This is a strategic decision due to the amount of the Web/Mobile market that can be captured through Unity. “50% of games across devices are made with Unity, powering more than 70% of all mobile games”. Unreal is on our roadmap after we have proven the product with an MVP and custom solutions (REST/SOAP) could very easily make use of our platform via our REST API. Going back to the DAO is one option. Ideally, we will be in a position to further the platform through revenue and/or venture financing at this point.

2. It will be monetized with a standard SaaS subscription model. We’ve left out specific pricing tiers for now until we have a better understanding of the market via a proof of concept and additional market research. However, we are confident we can hit a price point that provides fairly good margins for our platform without being too cost prohibitive for game developers.

3. We are covering the majority of our hosting costs with AWS credits that both of our teams have acquired prior to this proposal.

4. We’ll release this list later on but have several strategic partnerships in early-stage discussions.

5. Refer to this previous comment - Platform to Enable ApeCoin Powered Payments & Rewards for Apps & Games - #13 by MIKER.

6. The payments backend is still under development. We plan to use a combination of external providers and in-house infrastructure. We intend to get security audits (penn testing, etc.) as well as smart contract audits where necessary.

7. We can achieve 99.9% uptime through best practice infrastructure on AWS. This is fairly standard for any SaaS / API service provider.

8. Both, the in-game marketplace will be part of the same infrastructure. The standalone marketplace will be a mix of custom and white labeled infrastructure. Game developers would be able to whitelabel this to fit their brand.

9. Building a two-sided marketplace is definitely a challenge, however, the lack of ApeCoin powered games is the problem this platform hopes to help solve. We have several strategies in mind for player acquisition such as tapping into existing communities we are associated with and e-sports communities. Our goal is to bring small to mid sized web2 game devs and companies into web3.

10. Refer to this previous comment - Platform to Enable ApeCoin Powered Payments & Rewards for Apps & Games - #10 by Nova

Re: L1/L2
Sentiments were very negative at the time, if we did a re-vote I think the margins would be much higher to remain on ETH (obviously I could be wrong) but the L2 landscape has matured significantly over the last year. I agree, It definitely would require at least an AIP to bridge $APE to Base and it’s not something our team would specifically focus on. That said, this is a long term concern for this platform and definitely something we can reassess later down the road.

4 Likes

Hey @WiseHighlander, thanks for commenting!

Base is still early-stage so it has yet to be proven, but the brand and legitimacy of Coinbase combined with the OP stack could be an excellent combination to onboard new players to Web3.

That said, there are always drawbacks to every L2, and L2 considerations are a longer term concern for this platform anyways (the landscape could change dramatically over the next 10 months) so we are not set on Base by any means.

1 Like

@MIKER thanks for the well-articulated answers. Everything noted and understood.

As someone who has spent over half my lifetime building engines and tools, I see a lot of potential here - but alongside a lot of risk - especially where there already exists a lot of the same or similar turnkey solutions that you’re looking to build. It’s going to be exceptionally challenging to build all that, let alone get devs to use it alongside $APE. Just because it’s “Powered by ApeCoin” isn’t enough of a hook for a dev to dip their toes in. It’s something that I too pondered for weeks - and it’s not easily solved. At least not without a significant amount of time, resources and funding.

If you’re familiar with Yield Guild Games, TreasureDAO etc. then you already know that they’ve spent years and millions of Dollars on building out those platforms for exactly this. In fact, I have an AIP template to build something like that for ApeCoin; but seeing how my expansive and all-encompassing game AIP, through lots of feedback, went from $5M to $2M to a pure $500K token use, I just tabled it rather than waste my time. I will probably create it at some point - just for feedback and the resulting lols.

It’s rather unfortunate that the current state of the DAO coupled with the voting restrictions ensures that big ideas aren’t going to pass; otherwise this would have been a multi-year, multi-million Dollar project that covers all the bases. Instead, similar to the ambitious AIP-209, you’re forced to basically shoe-horn a massive amount of work and high risk into a 10-month, $490K spend. And like AIP-133 (among others), there’s a good chance that, like Feld, you’re going to end up spending more than that by the time you’re done.

Currently every single shred of Web3 tech that’s going into both of my forthcoming Web3 games, is based on middleware in which we don’t use a good portion of the bloat that they contain. It’s specifically why I tend to build all my own tools to do specifically what I need - without all the useless fluff. So, a slim, targeted tool suite like this is definitely a good approach; though adoption of even the best ideas and tech tends to be a major climb.

Good luck with it.

5 Likes

Really great proposal. Feel like this one is a must. Excited to see it move forward, you have my support!

1 Like

Hi @MIKER ,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

Hi @12GAUGE.Admin, we would like to extend another 7 days. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@MIKER has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

-@Facilitators

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe there were more fundamental reasons behind this

3 Likes

Hi @MIKER,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in approximately 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

3 Likes

If you want to add value to the ApeCoin ecosystem you need create use cases – this is the best example of a straightforward benefit to the DAO I’ve seen in a long time. Thank you for your submission and good luck!

BT

6 Likes

Thank you Badteeth! Means a lot to have your support!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @MIKER,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the insightful discussions]. A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft using the appropriate template. In accordance with DAO-approved guidelines, if the author doesn’t respond within 30 days, the proposal will be automatically transferred to the Withdrawn category, and the author can re-submit the idea. Once the AIP is Drafted and meets all DAO-approved guidelines, it will be published on Snapshot for the official live voting phase at: Snapshot.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @MIKER please see your messages for the next steps.

-@Facilitators

2 Likes

@MIKER has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

4 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @MIKER 's AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

3 Likes