AIP-127: New Year’s Eve Party 2023 for Apecoin Community

I wish I could attend the party. I remember the last new year’s eve when I was still in New York and that was in 2016. Anyway, I love the idea, and greetings from Asia!

4 Likes

That is actually an interesting question. If you win the raffle, is travel included @Novocrypto ?? Because I’m certainly not in New York

4 Likes

It would difficult to include travel expenses as everyone’s expense and budget will be different but there’s a mechanism that will help to subsidise attendees’ costs to get to the venue which is a share of 50% of royalties on tickets’ secondary sales refunded to the attending wallets. We won’t know in advance how much this might be (if anything at all!) as it’s not possible to predict secondary sales but hopefully there will be something to help to some degree. Otherwise, the date is very much off season so air travel will be cheaper than other times of the year; hopefully this will make the event more accessible but it would be very hard to make the event completely free for attendees without adding significantly to the budget. A cost that is more difficult to justify since it benefits different community members to different degrees; in other words, hard to keep it fair and justified.

In any case, it’s been a revelation to hear different opinions about affordability. Some think tickets can and should be sold for a price and not at all be free; others thought the proposed system is balanced and fair, and some believe that it is still not affordable for them to attend despite free/refundable ticket, possibility of not needing accommodation or securing it for a relatively low price, and low season air tickets.

I wish there was a way to make such an event even more affordable, accessible and inclusive without compromising on overall fairness, utility and value proposition of the project for everyone who votes (regardless of them attending or not). If you have any ideas, please share! Always happy to hear.

4 Likes

For the record, If I won, I’d come even if I had to pay for travel and the ticket, as long as I got a +1 for the better half.

4 Likes

That’s amazing to hear! Thank you! :orange_heart: If you win the free raffle you will get a chance to mint up to 2 refundable tickets. :blush::blush:

4 Likes

Greetings Chris :high_brightness:
It’s great to hear from you. Thanks for your encouraging comment. I wish you could attend in person if this goes through but even if you can’t, there’s still a way of being part of this in Real Time (if not fully in Real Life!). I’m working on a token-gated 360 degrees live streaming of the event’s highlights for the whole Apecoin community to enjoy from the comfort of their homes or where they happen to be this New year’s Eve.
But in general, no matter where these events are held, there will always be a large number of community members who won’t be able to attend in person. I think we need to start building the infrastructure for meaningful and real-time remote participation in IRL events. Without over-promising, I’m hoping that our token-gated live-streaming plans will be a small step in the right direction :smiley:

6 Likes

Im optimistic we can make this happen but curious, in regards to funding when is the drop dead date?

5 Likes

We currently have an extended period for paying the deposit to the venue by the end of October and after that we will have 2 days notice to execute or cancel our commitment in case there’s another event booking. Realistically speaking however, we do need to have the result of the vote latest by the first week of November, no later than 02 November. Otherwise it will be too tight also for people to plan their trip.

This being said, I do have a Plan B if we can’t move fast enough this time but will still do my best to make Plan A happen. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

My vote is this proposal and AIP-128 get some love from the powers that be. :grin: Especially if the powers that be wanna parrrrrrrrteeeeeee

6 Likes

Agree - @Pearson is it at all to possible to expedite this AIP given its so time sensitive?

5 Likes

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Novocrypto has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @Novocrypto’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful communication. I have received your questions and sent my replies. I look forward to the next steps. :orange_heart::raised_hands:

3 Likes

Cant wait to see how this goes. Love everything about this, from the detailed proposal, the event itself and the cause! Hope this is up for voting soon!

4 Likes

@Novocrypto has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

We have sent a list of follow up questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve got your questions and sent my answers. Looking very much forward to hearing back from you again.

Novo

3 Likes

I REALLY LIKE this proposal - It would be fantastic to meet some of the Apes in person. My only concern here is the cost perhaps - $750/person is a lot of cost to spend on hosting a event a like this. Given the liquidity of the current market, a selloff of this amount might also negatively affect the token price!

Much as a like charitable causes, I think individual owner should have the power to choose their own charity of choice. Treasury funds should not be utilized for charity - it is a slippery slope and will lead to all kinds of demands and asks.

6 Likes

Hello @apethor

Thank you for your reply and welcome welcome to the forum. :orange_heart::saluting_face:

I appreciate your frankness! You put your finger on an issue that I think most people have in mind but not many feel comfortable addressing publicly. I do agree that there’s a concern there. My own reasoning (as a relatively large $Ape holder) is that such initiatives as what I’ve proposed here can help Apecoin long term in at least 2 ways that I think outweigh any short term impact this may have on the market price:

1. Showcasing and developing the power of Apecoin as a Utility Token for web3 community building, decentralized governance and philanthropy. As you may be aware, currently we don’t have many very strong data and real life case studies to support apecoin’s narrative as a Utility Token. The future of Apecoin is dependent on its success or at least making an active effort in these areas. If we only focus on the token’s price, we may be risking more severe trade offs.

2. Building the infrastructure for a collaborative and inclusive annual DAO meet-up and builders’ bootcamp. As much as we may wish to be fully immersed in the digital world, I think large IRL events benefitting the whole community (in one way or another) are still a key ingredient in the success and longevity of web3 communities. We’ve seen how this has been the case with Apefest from early on. The aim of this proposal is to provide such infrastructure for Apecoin DAO.

I can imagine the community voting either way on this proposal. I understand that there’s a great interest amongst apes, mutants and ape holders to connect IRL in a setting that allows them to socialize and potentially find business partners and collaborators. Something that unfortunately is not available on this scale within the ape ecosystem currently.

If the majority’s concern is the short-term impact on price, I’d also understand and respect that. This is just the beginning! If this proposal doesn’t pass the vote due to this concern, I think we can work harder together to secure sponsorships to reduce the cost to the DAO. The only downside with this scenario is that the event won’t happen this year and as we all know, nobody knows which way things will develop in the future! I feel that this is the right time and place to invest in such a project and infrastructure. But we shall see what happens and how others weigh the pros and cons of this proposal.

P.s. Regarding the charity component, I think we might disagree here to some extent. Doing good in the world is part of the mission statement of Apecoin and I believe we have a collective responsibility to give back to the world especially to those least privileged of which children (especially female children) not getting any education would be on top of the list for me!
I am all for contributing to established charities who help communities in need. However, funding via large non-profit organizations comes with its own additional costs for example in overheads. The proposed charity component here is completely grassroots and benefits 100 children who would otherwise not be part of any other program. Moreover this charity component has the potential to develop into a self-sustained project. There’s also a very strong potential for producing a feature length documentary film that can showcase how Apecoin and the DAO are doing good in the world to a much wider audience. This can help our narrative in a powerful way that’s not necessarily achievable by other forms of publicity! So I see it as a win-win situation!

Thanks again for being here and for your contribution. :orange_heart:

9 Likes

@Novocrypto has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-river

3 Likes