AIP-239: Working Group Guidelines & The Governance Working Group Charter

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Amplify,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions].

A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Amplify please see your messages for the next steps.

-@Lost.Admin

Thanks again.

No one is being, or potentially will be if this proposal is passed, compensated for a role, Thank Ape, Spaces, and/or newsletter, etc. at the same time?

Is there any rule or proposal against it ever happening? Iā€™m not saying it shouldnā€™t happen - it may be reasonable in some cases - but it should be clarified and widely known, and again with fixed term limits.

Is there a link to who is being paid, for how long, paid how, by whom, and for what?

Most of what you wrote has nothing to do with the concerns I expressed. I get that itā€™s a starting point, so it should be started off on the best footing. Thatā€™s progress.

If people are unclear on what proper 3rd-party oversight & reporting is then they arenā€™t qualified for leadership roles in the first place. If people are clear on what it is but donā€™t welcome it, thatā€™s highly suspect.

Iā€™m unsure which of those applies here, and it doesnā€™t matter. Thereā€™s no proper credible oversight and to flesh out this AIP it should include a written opinion from an established, professional source, on these matters. Weā€™d ask nothing less of a typical AIP if such concerns were raised.

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Amplify has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-@Lost.Admin

1 Like

Cross-posting my other response here for clarityā€™s sake.

We recognize that there are a many areas that need oversight and also recognize the inherent challenges of establishing proper oversight if many of the current people working on the DAO daily are establishing those rules.

Instead of trekking down this challenging path, we opted to allow the Ape Assembly the ability to establish an Ethics Committee or any other Initiatives they see fit in order to meaningfully address these issues moving forward. This could include engaging independent third-parties or any other approaches the Ape Assembly deemed valuable.

As someone with deep domain-expertise here it would be great to see you leading the charge to get the Ethics Committee up and running as soon as the Governance WG and Ape Assembly are established. Thank you!

3 Likes

Phenomenal Values.

My only candid concerns are the following:

• 1Ape=1Ape does give a disproportionate advantage to whales. Iā€™m not convinced on whether popular vote vs. 1:1 ratio is best at this stage for the DAO.

I think the wg0 has a BIG task ahead finding clarity on significant issues the DAO is facing. Namely the issue of not being able to accept equity in exchange for the grants distributed. I think this would be very much in the DAO and $apecoin holderā€™s interest to find a means of doing so.

I also worry about too many layers of management slowing the actual flow of work and product/result shipment. I lean on the Musk side of thinking thereā€¦ that said, WG0 have proven themselves an admirable team and incredibly swift in taking over management thus far. I would simply caution against too many check and balances for an efficient and successful community.

You guys have my full support.

2 Likes

Thanks BT. Replied elsewhere.

Problem here is that the Charter and processes being proposed without oversight concerns being addressed. Establishing such a Committee after the fact if this is approved is better than nothing, but effectively too late for this.

1 Like

I find that the work has been admirable since the end of last year.

Things have moved forward, have structured themselves.

The Communication working group will already have a great job of presenting this whole system in a simplified and comprehensive way for any newcomer.

Congratulations again and looking forward to continuing to move forward with the working group teams.

5 Likes

Edits have been made to this Topic, by the author or by the authors request.

You can click the Pencil icon at the top of the post to see these edits.

Kind Regards,

-@Lost.Admin

1 Like

I recognize that challenge, but it is unfortunately a reality of the situation at this time. I wholeheartedly believe we can and will get this sorted out once the Governance WG and the Ape Assembly are up and running.

I also recognize the value to the DAO and Iā€™ll do whatever I can to support your efforts for meaningful oversight of DAO operations. Thank you

2 Likes

ā€œCompensated for a roleā€¦ at the same timeā€ - Yes, there is specific language included in these guidelines around not receiving compensation outside of that in a WG Budget Proposal. As for Thank Ape, Spaces, Newsletters, thereā€™s no such language or rule and I think weā€™ve avoided granularity here as we are just laying the foundation for the much larger organization to form and meaningfully participate in the development of our shared metaverse.

Currently no, as it is no ones specific job to do this work or produce these documents. I do think this is something the Secretary would be willing and wanting to do considering their work revolves around bringing more transparency to our DAO.

I stated the opposite, I welcome you to expand your idea and present actionable insights as to what you would like to see written into the proposal to alleviate your concerns.

I cannot guarantee you a written or public opinion, but it is essentially the job of the Special Council to identify risk to Foundation, which would include oversight and accountability concerns as they relate to this AIP. They will be conducting a thorough review during the Administrative Review phase (as they do for all AIPs) and will raise any legal, financial, brand, protocol, or governance risk they identify during their review.

-Amplify

2 Likes

This language seems to imply that Ape Assembly members must ā€œbe an apeā€ aka. ā€œhold a Bored/Mutant Ape.ā€ I know itā€™s a bit nit-picky, but is this the language we want to go with? Perhaps ā€œApeCoin holders?ā€ I realize the eligibility requirements are listed literally directly below this, but Iā€™d just hope our language isnā€™t in any way misleading or has the potential to be misinterpreted.

5 Likes

Also, with respect to the Ape Assemblyā€¦ I see we have set aside a proposed $10k/month for the Assembly. Forgive me if it was stated and I missed it, but how many members of the Ape Assembly are we targeting?

2 Likes

Thank you Chris!

Thatā€™s an excellent suggestion, and please nitpick away! Iā€™ve edited in your suggestion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When we used this criteria for WG0, it represented 503 ā€œtoken holdersā€ but there was some overlap with one user having multiple addresses and being able to vote twice with two tokens, so it will be fewer than that. :slight_smile:

Of course, there is potential for it to grow/shrink as governance participation rates go up or down.

Ahhhhhh now I see why it was phrased the way it is, thanks. Can you help clarify what the $10k/month budget allocation for Ape Assembly will be funding?

1 Like

Absolutely!

When thinking about the Ape Assembly and any such committees or initiatives they want to pursue, there would likely be a budget included or some expenses incurred. By default, because the Assembly is an initiative within the scope of the Governance WG, the Governance Stewards would be ā€œleadā€ the assembly and set meetings / take notes, etc.

This isnā€™t ideal though if weā€™re trying to provide some autonomy to these groups, as we would want community members within the assembly to begin organizing themselves.

Thinking about who will set meetings, take notes, write proposals, spearhead initiatives and other tasks we think itā€™s prudent to give the Assembly a budget for Assembly members to use as they see fit. This then brings into the question who will take custody of the 3/3(+) multisig for this fund, or if it will stay within the Governance WG multisig and the Assembly would invoice as needed for expenses.

Given the Ape Assembly acts as a representation of the most active governance participants within our ecosystem, their budget can be thought of as a ā€œCommunity Fund.ā€ For them to do with as they wish.

I hope they use it to inspire and uplift our community. Acting as a ā€œretroactive public goodsā€ grants arm of the DAO. They can reward those who provide a public good for our DAO at cost, with no chance of ever returning revenue, or they can reward those projects and protocols who stand little chance of successfully requesting grant funding from other DAOs, again because they cost money to maintain with no prospects of revenue.

Much of the thinking behind the Ape Assembly comes from our experiences with WG0 and encouraging ideas based on merit and not the value of the assets that support it, as well as research on the topic of non-token voting in DAOs:

4 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @Amplifyā€™s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

@Lost.Admin

Understood, thanks Amp. So since funding wouldnā€™t be needed for fixed costs like salaries for this arm of the DAO, might any unused funds be set aside as reserves under this scenario, since itā€™s been budgeted for, or might you propose that the Ape Assembly return any unused funding at the end of each month or quarterly term? Forgive me if this was spelled out clearly elsewhere, as I thought I gave the document a thorough read.

2 Likes