AIP-240: Community Discourse Facilitators

Haha @AllCityBAYC, appreciate the show of support for the three musketeers! :person_fencing: :person_fencing: :person_fencing:

Being a Discourse Facilitator requires being quite objective which, if SC and Stewies are any indication, means zero/minimal opinion/input on ideas and proposals across Discourse, Discord, Twitter and other public-facing outlets (it’s a legal thing).

That kinda limits what I believe to be my own value-add to the ecosystem, which is trying to bring some objectivity to the ideas/proposal based on my own professional experiences and personal subjectivity.

Then again, it is an important role and we should do our utmost to get members that understand the context as well as the technicals if we’re to sail this ship in the right direction. Historical context being mostly attained by spending the 100’s of hours here in the weeds.

Hmm :thinking:

Thanks again for the show of support. Onward

SSPâœŠđŸœ

8 Likes

Being objective does not mean not having, or expressing, an opinion on a topic.

My understanding, as there was some discussion of this on Discord, is that the mods here chose not to post. Pretty sure there’s no law, or legal precedent, about ApeCoin Discourse mods.

Perhaps the author could shed some light here.

It’s my understanding that SC, Admins, nor Mods can currently express their opinions on any idea, proposal or AIP shared within the community.

Let’s see what @Waabam comes back with.

:v:t4:SSP

1 Like

I can pick this one up. Discourse facilitators will receive on the job training and will be paid during this time. The “training period” was removed to lessen confusion about what exactly training period meant in this context, not that facilitators won’t be trained.

4 Likes

I appreciate the vote of confidence, AC!!

And I hear @ssp1111’s point about remaining objective without adding our two cents to the mix, but for my part I’m on board with anything that will help this ship run smoother
 and it really all starts with Discourse.

I’d be honored to be considered for one of these positions, and look forward to more details.

5 Likes

I think for professional reasons any personal opinions, endorsements or undisclosed affiliations should be strictly prohibited from Discourse.

For example, if a facilitator is part of a proposal team they should not have any engagement with the author and/or handler of the account(s) interacting on behalf of the proposal throughout the duration of its time in/on Discourse.

AC

4 Likes

These are different topics than what I addressed.

I think you meant for ethical reasons? In which case I agree. However I do welcome, and encourage, mods to express opinions on items which there are no conflicts.

Mods are, or should be, some of the more well-established and experienced members of the community in order to get appointed. It’d be a disservice to everyone to have them silenced on topics that do not impact their roles or their ability to moderate the board based on established, known/written rules and protocols that are outside of anyone’s opinion or preference.

4 Likes

It’s important that those facilitating the AIP process aren’t seen to be influencing voting decisions to avoid any potential or perceived conflicts of interest.

4 Likes

Yet the current “Working Group Guidelines and the Governance Working Group Charter” AIP proposal was posted by, and has been moderated by, a forum mod who has expressed opinions extensively in the thread, and who stands to gain considerably by its passing.

It you don’t start somewhere, you’ll go nowhere.

I recognize your concerns and I believe we’ve thoughtfully addressed oversight within the real-world application of what we’re trying to achieve.

It also allows for near constant improvement with oversight by a third-party not involved in the governance process (DAO Secretary), high-context DAO members (Ape Assembly) and all token holders.

Do you not think this makes sense going forward for facilitators?

4 Likes

BT, was this addressed to me and are we now discussing a different topic?

If so, absolutely in no way is “real world oversight” addressed. I made that case very clearly in that thread, and at the very least those drafting it could offer find a credible person or business, or two, that assess ethical conflicts to openly state otherwise and put their professional reputation behind it.

The author outright stated, in response to my concerns posted last night, not even having heard of proper 3rd-party oversight being brought up. Disconcerting and doesn’t inspire confidence or credibility, nor does it set a good example of what can be done.

And back on point, it’s a mod posting an AIP and expressing strong opinions on it, while actively moderating the thread. [EDIT: that read reopened and I’ve removed a concern here that I’ve since commented on in that thread.]

A simple example is anyone paid in an official role that’s also getting paid via Thank Ape - much less for activity being done relating to the paid role in the first place - is an obvious and real example. If “we” decide that’s OK, then fine, but it isn’t ethical, overly transparent, or something regulators would likely ignore. It’s how pyramid and MLM operations work.

None of this is a comment on any person. It’s the process and structure that’s concerning, and if it were well done with proper oversight it wouldn’t - it COULDN’T - even be brought up as a serious concern because such concerns and potential for abuses simply wouldn’t exist.

1 Like

Hi br00no,

Want to make sure we’re talking about the same thing.

1. Regarding this proposal, do you believe the below makes sense in order to mitigate COI issues? Do you have an alternate suggestion?
  1. Regarding the WG proposal. We recognize that there are a many areas that need oversight and also recognize the inherent challenges of establishing proper oversight if many of the current people working on the DAO daily are establishing those rules.

Instead of trekking down this challenging path, we opted to allow the Ape Assembly the ability to establish an Ethics Committee or any other Initiatives they see fit in order to meaningfully address these issues moving forward. This could include engaging independent third-parties or any other approaches the Ape Assembly deemed valuable.

As someone with deep domain-expertise here it would be great to see you leading the charge to get the Ethics Committee up and running as soon as the Governance WG and Ape Assembly are established. Thank you!

5 Likes

Hi BT.

Sincere thanks.

Where a conflict of interest (COI) could exist, I’m am fine with a rule preventing a forum mod from commenting. Of course that should then extend to IRL, Discord, Spaces, etc. It make good sense.

I do wish that there’s some form of exception where we would benefit from a mod expressing a personal or professional opinion, or at least allow them to post a suggestion to get a 3rd-party opinion, on something if that mod has extensive, even unique, experience on the subject. Based on non-privileged information I mean.

Suppose we have a master gamer as a forum mod. I’d wish to hear what that person has to say on the subject, especially if they have crucial concerns, experience or info not otherwise being known or expressed by others.

IRL there’s a recusal process. Online I’ve seen similar. I was a mod on a major musician’s forum and if there were personal or professional conflicts - real or potential - we’d openly state it and let a different mod handle that person or subject.

Same thing on the national arts grants program I’m a judge for. It’s literally among the first boxes we have to tick when adjudicating a grants proposal, with a comment box for explanation. 1. Affirm you’ve read the pertinent rules that apply and agree you’ll totally abide by them, and 2. disclose any potential conflicts. Every single proposal. I end up recusing myself often, and I don’t mind a bit.

Perhaps here there could be similar clauses here for all our benefit.

Personal note: I greatly appreciate your encouragement. I’m unsure how to proceed with that. Ethics Committee has been suggested on Discourse, and qualified persons expressed interest, but crickets. Not wanting to overstep, I presumed it’d be moved forward when it “should”. However now we have major initiatives & processes moving forward without such oversight, while past initiatives already activated arguably require such scrutiny, so 
 I dunno. Also supply / demand. Maybe ppl just don’t care, same as IRL.

3 Likes

Excellent points and agree a well thought out system is the solution here. I’m confident we can get this figured out.

Once the Governance WG and Ape Assembly are established there will be a much easier way to move this forward. Happy to help guide where I can.

Thank you br00no!

4 Likes

Perfect!! That clears things up. Thanks very much.

1 Like

This is an interesting one. Perhaps the corporate equivalent is the HIPPO (Highest Paid Persons Opinion) or the ‘Person with the loudest voice’.

When you allow people with ‘power’ (either natural or elected) to share their opinions and thoughts without first considering the timing of what is being shared, naturally (but not necessarily for the better) people will follow. This is potentially a risky precedent, as it could result in the development of an echo-chamber.

I would advocate for the importance of building a framework which encourages ‘diversity of thought’ from a broad spectrum of stakeholders as a starting point
then, through discussion and collaboration the vetting of ideas.

Giving a platform to the HIPPO or person with the loudest voice from the onset is likely to cripple creativity and engagement.

PS - There are plenty of Design Thinking frameworks which can support the above position. More than happy to share further info if there is value in doing so.

6 Likes

Please do. Any framework is superior to copying IRL political systems.

Essentially these 36 methods all sit within what’s called the Double Diamond. The idea being that methods can be ‘stitched’ together to support whatever outcome is being worked towards.

For example, let’s say the Facilitators are helping with this item - ‘Coordinating with authors to move AIPs through the pipeline and informing the community of these updates according to DAO approved guidelines.’

Rather than simply rely on the author to write-up a proposal and hope for the best, various methods could be used to produce what would ideally be a more robust solution, in this case a proposal which has been authored from the community.

Supplementing the existing forum for discussions, leveraging tools like digital whiteboards would allow more visual communication and collaboration. Historically I’ve found these methods and digital whiteboards to be incredibly beneficial when it comes to many of the Understanding and Making items.

There is a lot of detail behind the adoption and successful application of each method, more than happy to share.

5 Likes

imho by nature of being a facilitator, and becoming a trusted face, all opinions on AIPs become conflicts of interest. The only opinion a discourse facilitator (or anyone affiliated with the foundation/etc.) should have is whether an AIP/post aligns with existing, clearly-stated guidelines and then referencing those guidelines. Otherwise it should be “Not sure, specific rules on this aren’t defined” and encouraging others to discuss/define rules.

This complete loss of personal opinion is imperative to the position, imho. They can still vote on AIPs, though, so someone can look up their voting history and sort of know post-fact which they liked and which they didn’t.

2 Likes

Very well said!
I think a mod could still express themself even after being part of the team