AIP-277: Re-evaluating ApeCoin DAO Special Council Salaries Structure

As to this AIP, currently, the issue is NOT a legal one. It’s administrative.

The point of my speaking to an attorney is to better understand the basis for remedy and rights as it pertains to the DAO that we all were automatically made a part of by the mere action of buying $APE. I don’t just rush into things without extensive research. And I don’t rely on Google for research on bespoke situations. I’m not new at this.

e.g. when I posted the link above about legal liabilities, it was for the benefit of those - here in the US - who don’t understand the [legal] ramifications of automatically being a DAO member just by buying and owning $APE. It’s also why I included it in my AIP idea regarding the request for docs from Webslinger - who are the administrators of the DAO.

And to construct that AIP idea, I had to have a legal understanding of what I can and cannot ask for; as well as the remedy if I don’t get it. FYI. I don’t need an AIP to obtain that data. None of us in the DAO do. I created the AIP idea thread as a formality because it’s better than just sending Webslinger or Ape Council a request via email. Also, making it an AIP idea goes toward transparency because it lays everything out. And I have thus far not seen any indication that there needs to be any hostility or animosity between us and the Ape Foundation. It’s OK to disagree, to debate, to argue - but going to war solves nothing, and that will just divide the community even further, and quite possibly see this DAO be short-lived.

Though I am not quite certain if Webslinger was responsible for hiring the law firms in Cayman Islands and here in the US, as admins, that’s the sort of activity that would either be under their purview or within their knowledge. It’s basically how a rental management company hires outside contractors to do maintenance work, pool cleaning etc. And so, it’s why I sent them an email yesterday following my creating the AIP.

To be clear: Neither Webslinger nor the attorneys can do anything about how the Ape Foundation runs things. They can only give them advice based on on-going activities that either present an operational, liability or legal issue. And the primary leaders of the Ape Foundation are the Special Council. You know, the supar sekret section that nobody knows exactly what they do, other than a few lines on a web page. For $1,250,000 per year in DAO funds, while being voted in via a popularity voting contest as others have aptly stated.

The point being, just because it’s a DAO based in Cayman Islands, doesn’t mean that the Ape Foundation can just do as it pleases, put itself above DAO governance due to inaction in affairs that affect them etc. Doing things like that, as I have stated before, just opens the DAO - that being us - to legal liability because all it would take is one outsider or disgruntled DAO member to stir the pot - for whatever reason. Just because it’s Web3 doesn’t mean that we have to be blase about stuff like that. Some people tend to be gung-ho about things - especially when they’re anon or outside the US - until reality hits.

ps. Here is another example (thanks @bigbull) of DAO members reaching out to admins/legal regarding Special Council ops. A Public Letter to Cartan Group

2 Likes