AIP-335: Bored Ape Gazette Powered By ApeCoin

PROPOSAL AUTHOR: KYLE (@BOREDAPEGAZETTE)

PROPOSAL TITLE: BORED APE GAZETTE EXPANSION POWERED BY APECOIN

PROPOSAL CATEGORY: ECOSYSTEM FUND ALLOCATION PROPOSAL

ABSTRACT

The Bored Ape Gazette is asking the ApeCoin DAO to fund the Bored Ape Gazette for another year to further amplify the DAO and Yugaverse, and enable the Gazette to add weekly Twitter spaces and daily short form animated video content to its output!

Since June 1, 2021, the Bored Ape Gazette has been a part of the Yugaverse, providing daily coverage from the swamp and giving the community a go-to news source across the growing Yuga ecosystem. Over the last year, we have seen the community grow larger with several projects contributing to the Yugaverse such as Applied Primate, Mutant Cartel, and Mocaverse, among others. The Gazette is committed to continuing to build a trusted source of information for this ecosystem for years to come and would love for the paper to be powered by ApeCoin for another year!

Thanks to the ApeCoin DAO’s support of AIP-70 last year, The Bored Ape Gazette was able to expand daily news coverage from 1.5 stories published per day to an average of 4 stories published per day and grow its Twitter audience from 10,000 Followers to nearly 30,000 followers. Today the Gazette averages over 500,000 monthly impressions on Twitter! Along with increased exposure on Twitter, the Gazette has also seen its website viewership go from a few thousand views a month to an average monthly viewership of 13,000! To date, the Gazette has published over 2,200 news articles, 52 weekly newsletter recaps, covered IRL events, live tweeted from important DAO meetings, and reported on important Twitter Space every week! In addition, with funds from last year’s approved AIP-70, the Gazette hired a website designer who has made the website more user-friendly, added a cryptocurrency ticker, an ApeCoin price chart page, and a new community calendar to reflect current and future events and Twitter Spaces!

With the funds requested in this proposal, the Gazette will continue to produce 3-5 Yugaverse/ ApeCoin stories per day, continue its two bi-weekly newsletters (Keeping Tabs On The Lab And The ApeCoin DAO-N Low), add daily animated news segments that will be shared across Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube, start a Twitter Space series where the paper will interview builders, and add more amazing features to its website such as a language plug in, Yugaverse timeline, an “on this day in Bored history” section, additional ApeCoin metrics and numbers such as staking analytics, a new email blast campaign that will send subscribers a quick rundown on the swamp, the addition of dark mode, among other things!

With your continued support, the future of the Bored Ape Gazette will be very $Ape-ish and everyone inside and outside the Yugaverse will see a lot more $Ape content!

Here’s how much Ape and Yuga Labs content the Gazette will be putting out with this expansion every month!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Gm $Apes! My name is Kyle and I am the founder and Editor-In-Chief of the Bored Ape Gazette. I am 27-years-old and have been in crypto full time for the past two years.

I graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2018. During my time there, I was the Editor-In-Chief of the college newspaper. I was also a 2x Dow Jones News Fund Intern and worked two summers at the Orlando Business Journal, where I covered hyperlocal business news.

After college, I chose to start my own business reselling vintage clothing. Like many of you, my first NFT was NBA Topshot. Months after buying my first moment, I heard about the Bored Ape Yacht Club and purchased my first Ape on May 3rd, 2021 and then another later that month. After I purchased my Apes, I knew I had to do something in this community so I started the Gazette on June 1st, 2021. Since then I have written about the BAYC, the expanded Yugaverse, and the DAO every day

MOTIVATION

Summary

A key goal of the Bored Ape Gazette is to keep $Ape holders, BAYC/MAYC members, the extended Yugaverse, and the general public informed on all things $Ape, Yuga Labs, and community initiatives. The Gazette met some amazing people over the last two years and feels honored to be able to provide this community with a trusted source of information.

RATIONALE

Summary

The Bored Ape Gazette was founded on June 1, 2021, and has covered the BAYC and its members every day since.

As the community has expanded from a 10,000-profile photo collection into a global brand and DAO, the need for a trusted community news source has never been more important. Over the last year the Gazette has written articles on every AIP that has gone up for a vote, covered every $Ape election fairly, and reported on the builders within the $Ape ecosystem.

The Bored Ape Gazette has worked hard to become this trusted source of information and is working to expand its presence and content. The Gazette will continue to support this community faithfully!

BENEFIT TO APECOIN ECOSYSTEM

The Bored Ape Gazette currently produces an average of four written articles per day, providing both those within and outside the Yugaverse with a go-to news source for information on all things $Ape! This AIP will empower the Gazette to maintain this level of written output while also enabling the addition of daily short-form video news content that will be shared on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube. This new video content will reach new audiences who may not have the time to read the Gazette or be familiar with the ecosystem, giving them a chance to learn about all things $Ape and Yuga. This, in turn, will lead to increased exposure for the DAO, expand $Ape’s reach, and make the community better informed!

SPECIFICATIONS

Summary

Over the next year, the Bored Ape Gazette will continue to build in the $Ape ecosystem and be the go-to news source for every member of this community! With the support of the DAO, the Bored Ape Gazette will continue to post 3-5 Yugaverse centric stories per day and continue to write its two alternating Bi-weekly newsletters (Keeping Tabs on The Lab & ApeCoin DAO-N Low),

The Bored Ape Gazette will also expand content into Twitter Spaces featuring interviews with $Ape builders, create and upload short form video/animations that recap the news of the day, and continue to add features to the website!

STEPS TO IMPLEMENT

Summary

The Bored Ape Gazette is currently operating, and this proposal is a continuation of the paper’s current output and an expansion into Twitter spaces and video content! Please check out the Gazette’s Novemeber,2023 content chart to see how much content the Gazette will be producing each month following this proposals approval:

TIMELINE

The Gazette will continue its current content output and begin work on the animated shorts and begin publishing these videos within three weeks of this proposal’s approval. The Gazette will also start its $Ape builders Twitter Space Series one week after this AIP is approved. The Gazette expects to see at least a 50% increase in Twitter followers and Impressions per month that with the addition of Twitter Spaces and video content. This will lead to more awareness about ApeCoin.

OVERALL COST

Total: $150,000 USD worth of $Ape:

Cost Breakdown

**Content Creation For The Year: $120,000 USD. The Gazette will produce at least 1460 articles, 365 animated videos, 48 Twitter Spaces, 26 Keeping Tabs on The Lab Newsletters, and 26 ApeCoin DAO-N Low Newsletters, in the next year. That breaks down to $63.93 per article/video/ newsletter cost basis.

Cost to create news video animations: $18,000 USD

Language plug in: $1200 USD

Additional website building and new Ape analytics $10,000 USD

Gazette analytics:

Summary

Below are the Gazette’s year to date website analytics and the Gazette’s numbers site visitors from August 2023 according to SimiliarWeb. I have also shared the Bored Ape Gazette’s Twitter analytics from August 2023:

6 Likes

The Bored Ape Gazette has been one of the biggest ApeCoinDAO AIP program wins by a long shot… Kyle comes correct day-in-day-out bringing the entire ApeCoin, Yugaverse and NFT space news to our community without fail.

He takes the time to reach out and jump on calls, write interviews and cover stories from all over. Also one of the most genuine members we have.

Great person doing great things.

AC

9 Likes

I really appreciate the kinds words and support AllCity! Thank you

2 Likes

There are two sides to this.

1. Creating great content
  2. Making sure the exposure and reader level is high.

What will you do with regard to 2?

5 Likes

I have mad respect for @Boredapegazette working day in day out and always keeping us up to date with all things YUGA. I am all for supporting your work and expansion plans . To me you have proven yourself and showed us how hands on you are :saluting_face: :heart: :handshake:

3 Likes

Love what the Gazette has done ! Seriously love what Kyle has achieved in the space and impacted many AIP authors as well. From election coverage to weekly AIP authors, big kudos

4 Likes

Hi @Boredapegazette,

Impressive growth, and it’s clear that Bored Ape Gazette plays a vital role in our community. The proposed budget appears reasonable given your ambitious plans. Looking forward to seeing your continued impact.

-Mr. Hype :fire:

3 Likes

The Gazette is hands down an amazing and worth it product

2 Likes

Hey BigBull, thank you so much for the question and taking a look at my AIP. First and foremost getting exposure and readers takes consistent reporting everyday.

Also, the addition of animated news shorts that recap what happened around the swamp , and is shared across TikTok, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, will give the Gazette the ability to reach more people and garner more viewers inside and outside the ecosystem!

2 Likes

Hey Xavier, thank you so much for reading the Gazette! I really appreciate it

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words MisterHype, it means a lot! I’m looking forward to growing the Gazette and providing even more content!

3 Likes

Thanks Evil! It’s been an absolute pleasure getting to interview AIP authors and find out more about the awesome builders in the $Ape ecosystem! I can’t wait to see what’s next

2 Likes

Thank you so much for reading the Gazette and taking the time to reply to my proposal, it means a lot! Covering this community everyday has been a blast and I can’t wait to see what we all do next!

2 Likes

I like the BoredApeGazette account and appreciate the effort, though I don’t think it has the required impactful reach - yet. Regardless of that, $150K per year, though?

Yeah, it’s 2x the average salary for a professional journalist in the US. There’s NY Times journalist job posts up right now for $78k a year, and that’s a world class publication.

I love the work that the Bored Ape Gazette has put in, but it’s real hard to justify the numbers here.

4 Likes

Hey Matt,

Thank you so much for reading my proposal. I write on average four articles a day seven days a week, two newsletters, recap DAO meetings, and share live updates from IRL events and important Twitter spaces. The Gazette’s output is more journalism than your typical beat reporter!

1 Like

Maybe change the structure and apply as a media company and think about how you could have an additional resources working on it.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what’s coming from you guys. Keep it up and always appreciate your work

2 Likes

Just noticed this! Was confused as to what animations meant in the proposal but the short 10-15 secs videos work very well in this rapid moving social media age. Would love to help in this aspect!

2 Likes

Appreciate that.

As a suggestion, consider thinking less about total throughput, and more about the impact of what you do. I’d love to see metrics that can justify the spend (which in media, is all about view counts.) We need to break out of the small web 3 sphere that we currently exist in.

1 Like