AIP-338: The First ApeCoin Sponsored Competitive E-Sports Tournament with Wreck League

I was thinking about it and discussing with the team some more. I think it’s a good reference. But not the only reference. At the end of the day, the Major League events feature 6 digit prize pools. That would be premature for our community. Even though I have to share, when Yat and I first thought of the ApeCoin Tournament we were thinking to benchmark by major league tournaments.

Why? Because our main purpose with this idea is to max awareness and showcase $APE as the official currency in a competitive gaming event. Good outcomes for this proposal would be A) obtaining gaming media coverage and discussions of $APE and the ApeCoin Tournament; B) Attracting participation from top tier fighting game competitors; C) Rewarding community members and ApeCoin Tournament participants with $APE awards.

That’s why the size of the prize pool matters. 10K would be too low. 50K would catch some attention. Total of 100K would be sure to drive the right level of attention by both gaming media and some tier-2 or even tier-1 fighting games competitors and their fans.

I do like the suggestions for alternative prize distribution structure, to spread a higher piece of the prize to more players. Especially the idea to increase the awards to 3-32 players. I’ll ask the team for couple of alternative award distribution tables and post here for feedback.

Thanks!!

1 Like

This idea makes a lot of sense.

How does this alternative reward distribution structure look?

To summarize the main changes:

• Lower prize for 1st place but still keeping it very competitive and attractive for competitor gamers.
  • Higher awards for 2 - 32 final placements to spread the total prize pool more evenly as suggested.
1 Like

Absolutely agree with it. The prize for top-1 is too much in my opininon.

3 Likes

Looking at the prize pool distributions of other games, the 1st proportion still seems on the higher end of the spectrum. I guess it also depends on the game skill gap. If the difference between 1st and 2nd is going to be mostly skill then it makes sense. But if there’s a huge element of luck it’s not going to feel good to have become 2nd because of luck.

Honestly I don’t play the game, so I don’t know how much luck is involved but the proportions should account for that. Because even removing 10k from #1 and giving it to top 32 still gives a nice win, but it also incentives the lower tier to spend more because people will feel much more secure about ranking top 32 than top 3.

1 Like

Hi @TK

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-@Facilitators

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @TK,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the insightful discussions]. A moderator will reach out to the author to finalize the AIP Draft using the appropriate template. In accordance with DAO-approved guidelines, if the author doesn’t respond within 30 days, the proposal will be automatically transferred to the Withdrawn category, and the author can re-submit the idea. Once the AIP is Drafted and meets all DAO-approved guidelines, it will be published on Snapshot for the official live voting phase at: Snapshot.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @TK please see your messages for the next steps.

-@Facilitators

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@TK has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

Our team has reviewed and discussed @TK’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

@TK has responded to our questions and has provided consent to share them in this forum for the community.

1. Is the Ape Foundation expected to engage in any of the steps of the AIP implementation beyond what was previously mentioned in the proposal, which includes overseeing the grant agreement and providing funding? If so, please specify the steps and elaborate on how it is expected to work.

No. Only what is currently mentioned in the proposal.

2. Aside from owning a Wreck League Mech, are there any additional costs for players to enter the Tournament?

No. In fact players should be able to enter the tournament with a loan trial mech as well. Owning a custom mech helps you perform better in the tournament but it is not required to enter the tournament.

3. Will nWay employees be allowed to enter the tournament?

No, nWay employees will not be entering the tournament.

4. Will nWay paid ambassadors be allowed to enter the tournament?

nWay currently has no plans to pay players/ambassadors to participate in this tournament as players, but will rather push marketing dollars toward promotion of the tournament across multiple channels.

5. Have any specific in-game privileges or benefits been given to certain players that are not typically accessible to the broader community?

No, there are none.

6. Considering that tournament winners will be required to link their wallets to your platform for prize collection, please share details about the platform’s security audit plans or any past security audit history.

Halborn has conducted the smart contract security audit for the Wreck League smart contract. You can check out the Audit Assessment Report here: Wreck League Smart Contract Audit Report.

7. Has your team established any Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) or Measurable Key Results for this tournament? How do you intend to communicate any of these results back to the ApeCoin DAO community?

Number of tournament participants

Viewership (for live stream)

** Average Viewers*
** Uniques Viewers*
** Peak Viewership*
** Total Views*
** Hours Watched*

We will share a recap report with the community, and are also happy to make ourselves available for an AMA or other live Q&A session.

8. Do you provide consent to share these questions and answers with the community in this forum?

Yes

A DAR package is being worked on and upon completion this AIP will move into Administrative Review. Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

1 Like

We have no further questions for @TK. This AIP is now under Administrative Review.

Kind Regards,

-@Facilitators

This proposal is live for vote on Snapshot. The voting period closes next Wednesday at 9PM EST.

The AIP implementation is administered by the Ape Foundation. Implementation may be immaterially or materially altered to optimize for security, usability, to protect APE holders, and otherwise to effect the intent of the AIP. Any material deviations from an AIP, as initially approved, will be disclosed to the APE holder community.

The voting has closed for this proposal and it has not been approved.

This Topic will be moved to and remain in the Rejected AIPs subcategory.

-@Facilitators