The First ApeCoin Sponsored Competitive E-Sports Tournament with Wreck League
Ecosystem Fund Allocation
This AIP is authored by Taehoon Kim, Co-Founder and CEO of nWay Games, an Animoca Brands subsidiary and the developer of Wreck League.
nWay is a leading San Francisco-based publisher and developer of competitive multiplayer games specializing in creating fast action cross-play games across various platforms. nWay brings a proven track record of delivering AAA quality games on mobile and on console, such as Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Power Rangers: Legacy Wars, WWE: Undefeated, Olympic Games Jam and ChronoBlade. nWay is comprised of leading developers and senior executives from Sony, LucasArts, EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Xbox, Warner Bros., Konami, Kabam, Pocket Gems, Zynga, Glu, Jam City and Machine Zone. The nWay team has collectively contributed to over a dozen hits, including Marvel Contest of Champions, the Injustice series, Star Wars: the Force Unleashed, Game of War, and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. For more information about nWay, visit www.nway.com.
The objective of this proposal is to raise awareness of $APE among traditional gamers by showcasing $APE as the official currency in a professional competitive esports tournament–the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament–featuring grand prizes designated in $APE. This will demonstrate $APE’s utility as a gaming currency, while also rewarding thousands of ApeCoin community members who already use their NFT mechs to fight in Wreck League battles.
As many of you know, starting on August 31st, Yuga holders claimed their fight-ready Wreck League mechs as part of the Wreck League Founders Mechs collection. Additionally, Wreck League Season 1 powered by ApeCoin is already onboarding new ApeCoin users, showcasing bold new ways to use $APE by powering the Wreck League Web3 fighting game. The Wreck League Genesis Mint, as an example, brought in over 7,500 new $APE holders and generated over 1.5 million $APE in daily transaction volume.
We are asking the ApeCoin community to approve the organization of the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament and to allocate grand prizes in the total amount of 50,000 $APE to be distributed among the winners of this first, and certainly not last, competitive esports tournament using $APE as the official tournament awards token.
A Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament will strengthen ties among the ApeCoin community while generating awareness among traditional gamers during this holiday season and ultimately promoting the adoption and demand for $APE by showcasing ApeCoin utility in a competitive gaming tournament.
Developed through the collaboration of nWay and Animoca Brands with the participation of Yuga Labs, Wreck League Season1 is powered by ApeCoin. As members of the ApeCoin community, Yat Siu of Animoca Brands and Taehoon Kim of nWay proactively decided to integrate $APE as the primary currency for the Wreck League Season 1 mints and tournaments utilities. The team introduced pricing in ApeCoin: 150$APE for Wreck League Majestic boxes and 50$APE for Wreck League Booster boxes. The Wreck League Genesis Mint contributed to a daily transaction volume of over 1.5 million $APEs. Moreover, it is worth noting that leading to Wreck League Genesis Mint, an increase of about 7,500 new $APE holders was observed, arguably driven by Wreck League Mint buyers buying $APE for the first time in preparation to mint their Wreck League boxes on the morning of August 17.
nWay, the developer behind Wreck League, is a reputable game developer founded in 2011 with over 50MM downloads of their traditional fighting games. As recently covered in a sponsored Tiger report, Wreck League is poised to bridge nWay’s existing reach among traditional fighting-game players to Web3 gaming by introducing a set of optional yet powerful Web3 gaming utilities, including but not limited to: 1) Customizing and building unique mech NFTs; 2) Entering PvP Wreck League fighting tournaments and competitions to win on-chain rewards; and 3) Delivering a patented, first-of-its-kind NFT to in-app-store publishing and revenue sharing model for mech NFT owners.
In conclusion, by leveraging Wreck League’s reach to traditional gamers, ApeCoin’s active Wreck League fighters, and the native integration with $APE, the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament is a unique and timely opportunity to effectively raise awareness to ApeCoin among mainstream gamers audiences, reward existing ApeCoin community members, and ultimately onboard new members to the community this holiday season.
The Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament will utilize existing Wreck League technology, developed and maintained by nWay. The technological components involved shall include but are not limited to:
- WreckLeague.xyz: Wreck League Web3 Garage for storing parts, assembling and disassembling new mech NFTs in WebGL.
- nWayPlay.com: Web3 game portal, and gamer account system to bring Mech NFTs over to the game.
- nWay Netcode: Roll-back Netcode with cross-play functionality for low latency and fair gameplay across multiple platforms (PC, Mac, mobile)
- Wreck League Tournaments and on-chain rewards system
- Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Game Launcher
The proposed Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament is based on a two stage tournament structure: Qualification Stage in a Leaderboard format, and Tournament Finals in the Wreck League brackets competition format as seen recently in the Wreck League Founders Cup.
How to enter the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament
- Own at least one Wreck League mech (including Wreck League Founders Mech)
- Starting with the Leaderboard Qualification Battles, mech owners will be able to download and install the Wreck League Game Launcher.
- Start fighting against other players in Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament real time PvP qualification battles.
How the tournament is structured
The Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament is constructed from two main stages:
- Qualification Stage–a Leaderboard based competition featuring PvP battles among eligible players. Win battles to climb up the Leaderboard. The final Top 150 competitors on the Leaderboard will be Qualified for Awards. The top 32 players on the Leaderboard will qualify for the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Finals to compete for the top 3 places and the grand prizes. The rules for the Wreck League ApeCoin Leaderboard Qualifiers will be published in advance of the tournament opening.
- Tournament Finals–an invitation only Bracket Competition to determine the final top 3 winners who will receive the Grand Prize Awards. Participation in the Finals, will be open only to players who Qualified in the preliminary Qualification Leaderboard Competition.
How to win the Tournament
- Participate in the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Qualifiers
Wreck League Leaderboard Qualifiers competition is based on simple rules:
- Leaderboard starts on announced Tournament kick-off date/time
- Players get points when they win Wreck League battles
- Players lose points when they lose Wreck League battles
- Players climb the leaderboard by winning more battles and accumulating more points.
- Leaderboard closes on announced end date/time.
- Final leaderboard positions, winners, and final qualifications to participate in the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Finals are determined based on players positions on the tournament’s Qualifiers leaderboard.
- Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Qualifiers Leaderboard Mockup:
2. Finish at the Top 32 positions in the qualifiers leaderboard to receive an invitation to compete for the Grand Prize in the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Finals.
3. Compete in the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Finals bracket competition.
The Finals will be organized as an eSports event modeled by the successful Wreck League Founders Cup featuring epic fights such as Spencer vs Jonah, Yat vs Clon among other leaders in our community.
- Win battles to move up the next level of the bracket competition.
- Reach the Final Four for a chance at one of the top prizes.
- The winners in each of the final four battles compete in a final fight for the 1st and 2nd places prizes.
- The losers in each of the final four battles will compete in a final fight for the 3rd place prize. Previous Wreck League bracket competition results from the Wreck League Founders Cup shown here for demonstration:
Tournament Rewards Table - 50,000 $APE Total Grand Prize Pool
The top 150 players in the ApeCoin Tournament will win $APE awards according to the following Tournament Rewards Distribution Table:
- 1st Place Reward: 18,000 $APE (1 winner)
- 2nd Place Reward: 5,000 $APE (1 winner)
- 3rd Place Reward: 2,250 $APE (1 winner)
- 4th - 32nd Place Reward: 650 $APE each (29 winners)
- 33nd - 150th Place Reward: 50 $APE each (118 winners)
Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Rewards Table
The steps to implement the proposal to launch the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament are:
- Proposal review and ApeDAO approval by voting; Wreck League via nWay will work with the ApeDAO community to craft the proposal and support the voting process.
- Wreck League and ApeCoin will engage in a contract to organize the joint Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament
- nWay shall Create the Tournament Wallet
- ApeDAO shall Transfer the approved Tournament Awards amount of 50,000 $APE to the Tournament Wallet.
- nWay will begin producing and promoting the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament.
- Determine Qualifiers Tournament Results: At the end of the Qualifiers Tournament nWay will perform an audit to confirm the winners and ensure legitimacy of winners and no rogue play. Upon confirmation of the final Qualifiers Leaderboard results, nWay will invite the players with wallet addresses in the top 32 placements to participate in the Wreck League ApeCoin Finals.
- nWay will produce the Wreck League ApeCoin Finals tournament.
- At the end of the Finals, nWay will publish the final list of the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament winners’ wallet addresses to a designated file on-chain–Final Wreck League ApeCoin Final Tournament Winners file.
- nWay will Send the Rewards amounts to the wallet addresses of the tournament winners based on the final position associated with each winning wallet address.
Tournament & Rewards Distribution Set Up Diagram:
- Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Announcement upon ApeDAO approval by vote.
- December 6, 2023: Launch Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament
- December 6 - December 10, 2023: Tournament Qualifiers Competition
- December 12, 2023: Tournament Finals
- By December 16, 2023: Announce tournament final results and winners
- By December 19, 2023: Distribute tournament rewards to winners
The total cost for the ApeDAO is 50,000 $APE, fully allocated towards Tournament Rewards.
Wreck League, nWay Costs:
For clarification, the following costs are not accrued by the ApeDAO and are not requested for ApeDAO approval. These estimate costs will be covered by nWay to produce and promote the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament.
- nWay Tournament Production and Marketing Cost Breakdown. For clarification, this Production and Marketing Cost breakdown shall be covered by nWay and is not requested for approval by the ApeDAO.
We are asking the ApeCoin community to approve the following requests via an ApeDAO vote:
- Approve the organization of the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament
- Approve the use of the ApeCoin Logo, trademarks, and other symbols in connection with the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament
- Allocate 50,000 $APE towards the Wreck League ApeCoin Tournament Rewards to be distributed to the tournament winners as detailed in the Tournament Rewards Table.
- Authorize the Steps To Implement as detailed in this proposal including the transfer of the allocated 50,000 $APE Tournament Rewards to the designated Tournament Wallet.