AIP-84: Wagmi Merch - A platform for exclusive secondary NFT merch & collectibles commerce

Abstract - This proposal is for ApeCoin DAO to fund, start, and facilitate a secondary sales marketplace for official NFT project merchandise and collectibles.

Motivation - Currently, members of the Bored Ape Yacht Club are making deals to trade excluisve merch in DMs, in discord channels, at meet ups, etc. There is no efficient solution for a trusted source of authentic merchandise and collectibles to be bought and sold. I am proposing that the Ape Coin DAO fund and facilitate this start up.

Rationale - A secondary merch/physicals platform (akin to StockX, but essentially a web3 version) is a big audacious idea, I know, but one that can bring another use case to $APE coin while also potentially creating a multi-million dollar business at scale. As web3 grows, so will the brands, the merch selections, and the opportunity to create a web3 physicals trading platform. I would assume that we could even allow the community vote monthly on the next items to add to the site to grow community engagement and have the club help market the site.

Specifications - Will need help on the technical specs, but a web3 site to facilitate transactions, communication, and checkout will be needed. The log in and authentication of the seller’s account should require the brand/pfp NFT in order to be an authenticated seller of select items. I.E. the listing is a 2022 ApeFest Day1 poster…only sellers with a mutant ape or bored ape have the right to sell the product. For an OG BAYC sweatshirt, only BAYC authenticated sellers could sell that item, etc. An opportunity to tie social accounts will help legitimize the site without having to authenticate the merchandise itself. As pseudonyms grow in popularity across social media, they can further be used as a source of authentication.

Steps to Implement - Step one: gauge interest, Step two: identify cost of hiring “x” graphic design and web3 devs to build the site and employ for 1 year. Assuming 3 heads.
Timeline - This is still in early stages of discussion. Would most likely require 3-6 months to get up and running with a handful of exclusive BAYC/MAYC related items. Checkout would exclusively be in ApeCoin but be tied to USD and fluctuate to account for price volatility. Could eventually expand to other web3 community items as site popularity grows.

Overall Cost - Assuming cost of hiring 3 heads. 1 graphic design and 2 web3 devs to build the site and employ for 1 year. Assuming 3 heads for 1 year at $75k/yr = $225k. This is up for discussion with the community.

*I also have a power point with some visuals to review upon request. I have zero motivation for this opportunity other than to solve a problem and provide a solution for the Yacht Club. Cheers!

7 Likes

Very cool def could help. Open to debate but so far my vote is Yes thanks!

4 Likes

Personally I will never buy such merch for some reason, but such marketplace can work well if organised properly, so I would support it.

4 Likes

Never buy BAYC/MAYC stuff? Like ApeFest posters, Rollling Stone Mags, Curtis toy from Superplastic, hoodies, etc?

2 Likes

“No consume” mod, and I don’t like normal people to know what I am holding :slight_smile: But the thread not about me, in general I support the proposal.

2 Likes

This is a great idea. Current methods to buy/sell merch on secondary are definitely inefficient and this would be very helpful for the community. I would be willing to help in any way needed, especially on the tech side.

Would also love to see the powerpoint visuals as well.

5 Likes

My PFP is a combination of a DJenerate NFT and a BAYC - Which was airdropped to about 200 holders. Perhaps something similar could be done with Apecoin. It can be used in this marketplace to buy secondary merch. I’m all for it.

2 Likes

About to post them on twitter since I highly doubt many people would see them here. I will attach to the proposal as well.

5 Likes

Should ask around the community and find some fellow apes that can help you deliver on this. Having a POC or early stage product always helps with grants.

3 Likes

Hi @caseyjones.eth,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Pearson

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @caseyjones.eth for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @caseyjones.eth please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@caseyjones.eth has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

Our team has reviewed and discussed @caseyjones.eth’s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

3 Likes

This Topic has been rejected based on the DAO-approved guidelines due to no response in the last 30 days. The Topic may be submitted again by any user and upon approval, will be open for 7 days for community discussions.

This Topic will move and remain in the Withdrawn AIPs category.

-Pearson