Proposal Name: APE P2P Messaging platform
Proposal Category: Core: Ecosystem Fund Allocation
We want to build the APECHAT - a wallet-based messaging platform for the ape community (BAYC, MAYC, BAKC, BACC & any other NFT collections curated or permitted by APE DAO.
This allows communication & interaction between any two parties in the ape community, so long as they have a MetaMask wallet, which is a prerequisite to NFT ownership anyway.
This messaging platform will enable ape members to reach out and chat with other members for any matters - ranging from potential opportunities, business partnerships, interested transactions collaborations or personal matters which is currently impossible as all communications are done on third-party communication platforms such as Discord and Twitter and can be subjected to various gating tools and technologies.
In order to send a message to a wallet, the user needs to prove that they have a permitted NFT from Apedao’s current ecosystem (BAYC, MAYC, BAKC, Otherside deed) and this is automatically verified once they connect their wallet to the platform. Once in the platform, by entering the NFT collection and Token ID, they will be able to message the NFT owner directly.
For Apedao, Mailrats want to create an exclusive chat application for the Ape community first and then subsequently include new features to make it a chat application that is robust and adapted for the Ape community.
The proposal will be executed by the MailRats team within 6 weeks.
Web3 communities are forced to use web2 tools such as Discord and Twitter.
These tools are not focused on web3 communication principles and are laden with spam.
Accepting this AIP supports the first step towards having the ape community to be the first community that takes a web3-first approach to communication and networking.
Not only that, members of the community can finally send a message to fellow members directly without having to rely on a third-party platform.
In summary having the messaging platform will:
Improve and foster Communications among every Ape member (BAYC, MAYC, BAKC, BACC) - which spurs collaboration and opportunities. No social third-party media platform is needed to participate in the ecosystem.
Allow immediate and direct communication to happen wallet to wallet, protecting the privacy of members who want to stay private.
Allow this chat application to value add to existing ape initiatives such as community gatherings or ape festivals amongst others.
Expand the Ape ecosystem with an additional tool
- The entire tech stack is managed by Mailrats and it’s already in mature state.
- Our engine runs natively on the responsive web, so anyone can start using it without any installation/registration required.
- ApeChat will work with Metamask on the Ethereum network. Ethereum address is required to log in and MetaMask is the preferred registration/login method for the messenger. Apecoin will be used and accept as the only payment for ApeChat.
Technical Specification: we’ll use these technologies:
- Firebase cloud
- Third party service
- AWS service
Things to build for ApeChat:
For building this platform, the team will be composed of
- Developers (backend and frontend)
- Core Team
- Customer Support
- Community Mod
MailRats has successfully launched an ENS messaging platform for the ENS community, with new-to-market features such as “conversation fees” - allowing users to charge for DMS to be sent to them.
In the current MailRat’s platform, Messaging is done by entering their ENS address or wallet address in the platform’s web app and users can send a DM with a click of a button.
MailRats empowers every web3 user to send messages to each other with a DM-to-your-wallet-address function.
Current App Features:
- Pay to DM
- Auto refund
- Earnings portal
- Pay to jump the queue
- Expiring chat
- Pay to view image
- Pay to watch video
- Private image/videos
- ENS messaging
- MailRats website plugin - Gated inbox on your website
- Discovery feature to view new profiles
- Referral Program
- Social Media Verification/Authentication
- Customizable profile page
- Twitter verification
- User Rating
- Asset transfer through chat (Token/NFT)
- Follow and subscribe
- User Feed
- Epicsuperstar - Serial entrepreneur, Investors @ Solice, MIRL, Burnt Finance, Dark Frontiers, Ascenders
- Lunasea.eth - Entrepreneur and Fund Manager. Co-founder SG NFT Creators.
- Loonie - Community Mod @MIRLNFT, @shellzorb, @peweetools, @kaijufrenz @MetaArksNFT
Tech/ Dev Team
- Brian Hoang - Lead Developer 7+ years experience
- Ally - 3+ Years Full Stack developer
- Jack - 2+ Years Full Stack developer
MailRats is backed by VCs and we are proud to have their support:
- Village Global
- Hustle Fund
- Many more…
Our next step:
We already have a working version of our App.
Upon approval, our team will start work on building a custom solution for the ape community.
ApeCoins will be the only payment method on ApeChat.
Steps we will take:
- Step 0: Wait for approval
- Step 1 : UI/UX Design of messenger for Ape Community
- Step 2 : Dev of Web App
- Step 3: Test & Review
- Step 4: Official Launch
- Step 5: Support and Update App with new features
For members who are interested in our platform, you can try it out at
Approval Period: Nov - Dec 2022
Execution/Build: 6 weeks upon approval est.
(Dec 2022 - Jan 2023)
6 weeks build breakdown:
Our goal for this AIP is to kickstart building the messaging app for the ape community and we wish to drive as much value to the community as possible.
Thus, the funds will be dedicated to the building of the app, servicing the app and building and updating features requested by the community.
($208,800 Manpower + $18,000 One-off business expense)
We request a grant from Apecoin DAO to cover the cost needed to launch the app (estimated 6 weeks) and operating costs for 3 months, during which the app will be regularly upgraded with customer support 7 days a week. We expect to be self-sustaining from fees after which.
- Building of Apecoin
- Maintenance of Messaging app
- DAO for voting on the next feature build
- Building of the next feature
- Dedicated Customer support for end users
Compensation for 12x team and development cost:
- x2 designers at $4,500 per month for 4.5 months
- x3 developer at $5,500 per month for 4.5 months
- x3 core team at $2,500 per month for 4.5 months
- x2 customer support at $2,500 per month for 4.5 months
- x2 community manager at $4,200 per month for 4.5 months
Total Manpower + Development Cost: $208,800
One-off business expenses:
We will be looking to conduct a PR campaign that to feature the ApeChat we aim to create a media narrative and spread positive news and information about the Ape community. ($7,500 budget for 1 or 2 PR campaigns)
User Reward Campaign
We will also be running a user reward campaign where the first 2,000 users for ApeChat will be rewarded with $5 USD worth of ApeCoin ($10,000) as a reward for signing up on the platform. This is a crucial step to gain traction within the Ape community which helps to build the network effect for the ApeChat to be fully effective and meaningful.
The $500 indicated in the one-off business expenses will be used for the subscription to the relevant tools such as Moralis, Openzeppelin and many more for creating the ApeChat.
Total one-off expenses: $18,000
Total Burn/ Cost:
The total Cost Estimate is $226,800 (208,800 manpower + 18,000 one time off)
We are requesting $226,300 in ApeCoin to kickstart the development of the APE communication
The milestone is as the following:
- Upon Approval we are seeking 30% of the funding to kickstart the project UI/UX design & development of the product.
- Upon completion of the project, the next 50% of the fund will be used to scale up operations such as customer service and community moderators
- The subsequent 10% fund will be provided T-1 month after launch to scale the product and include new features and request as per decided by the APECOIN DAO
- The next 5% fund will be provided T-2 month so ensure the team follows up on the new features and new requests as per decided by the APECOIN DAO
- The final 5% funding will be released upon the successful completion of sprints and product for the APE community.