ApeCoinDAO funded primary school in Ghana

Sorry for the lack of clarity here. I will continue to iterate and update this! Appreciate all your feedback.

1 Like

So I’m huge on education. Donated to Save the Children for years. Had a college mate who married an African girl and actually moved to her country and built schools and I donated to them for like a decade.

I also love Unicef. Red cross. Malaria elimination efforts. So, so much more.

Our DAO cannot possibly solve all of these problems.

That said, I do think/hope we can dip our toes. And the way we can justify it is by adding a web3 spin on projects like these. I think that’s essential to avoid “but why not that other school? this other country?”

So in this specific case, I think the school teaching web3 would bring this home for sure. At least one class. Ideally more. Not just helping give kids education; giving them future-proof education. Yes, I get that govt decides curriculum, etc. But that’s the hard part to do here: get on the phone with some local official and say, “Listen. We’ll build a school. Just give us ONE class. Okay?”

You’ll get some "no"s. Eventually, in some county/province or other, you’ll get a yes.

And ofc I could be 100% wrong, but I think then this DAO would be far more inclined to vote.

Oh also they should let us paint ApeCoin mural somewhere. :smiley:

Either way, brother, good luck with this!

3 Likes

I really loved the idea and the way you think! Keep this project up!!!

2 Likes

Hi @BojangleGuy,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in about 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

@Lost.Admin

Let’s extend another 7 days!

2 Likes

How does this help the DAO?

And more importantly, while funding a primary school in Ghana seems a great idea, the funds would be better invested with a NGO who does this on a professional level. Funding a single primary school is just a drop in the bucket.

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@BojangleGuy has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

@Lost.Admin

2 Likes

Love this @BojangleGuy and this is one of those few exceptions where it is less important to answer the question “how does this benefit the DAO” but instead, answer the question “is it the right thing to do”

Philanthropy does bring ancillary benefits (mostly optics) but the DAO, like any other organisation should have robust CSR and philanthropic programmes and give back where possible.

The question that I have seen here that has attracted the most interest is around the ongoing funding issue. Just spit balling here, but it would be great if we could establish a ‘giveback programme’ for any $ape sinks (games, retailers, AIP projects) that can opt in to return a small percentage of $ape which would periodically be distributed among qualifying charitable or CSR causes in order to support their longevity.

Think of it as one of those ‘would you like to donate’ options when you’re checking out online.

4 Likes

Hey @NFD thanks for the feedback and comments!

As I have mentioned in previous replies, the idea here is to build the school and then hand it over to the government who would then fund the school so that it can continue to run for years to come. This is how every public school in Ghana is ran. It is paid for by the government.

I LOVE the idea of a giveback program. A small amount of money can go a long ways in many countries around the world. I would love to explore that more if you are open to it!

4 Likes

Hi @BojangleGuy,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

@Lost.Admin

Let’s extend! Thanks @Lost.Admin

I should have some more info from the Ghana side this week!

3 Likes

@BojangleGuy has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

@Lost.Admin

Hi BojangleGuy,

I greatly admire and respect what you are currently doing, and I appreciate how you are extending goodwill into Apecoin AIP by proposing a method for the DAO to start contemplating social impact strategies. While I’ve noticed discussions focused primarily on the project itself, I’d like to contribute some thoughts from a broader perspective:

1. How does this align with Apecoin DAO’s values?
  2. The objective is to create an environment for future builders of web3. How can we ensure this goodwill is effectively channeled toward that purpose?
  3. If Apecoin DAO is built with a sense of social responsibility in mind and would attempt some social impact projects, what could be the strategies that would benefit the DAO the most? For example, could it partner with internal and external resources to leverage the best outcomes? With these considerations in mind, if there are criteria for such social impact projects, how many of this AIP fit the criteria?
  4. Is there a particular part of the AIP that could help educate our holders/web3 users, especially those with limited knowledge and experience in social impact projects

It’s actually more than a kind gesture to want to help make the world a better place. It’s intensive work that involves a great deal of commitment and responsibility. What could happen after people vote? Is there any way to involve the community?

Good luck, and if there is a community donation, I am happy to support it as an individual :heart:

4 Likes

Hey @Jimbol I really appreciate your kind words and questions here. Let me do my best to answer them!

As a grants DAO with a set of values that revolve around making this space and world a better place, being bold, equality, and being transparent, I think it fits perfectly within the values of this DAO. And as we look to create a mission statement for the DAO I am confident it will align with that statement as well.

I would agree that this is one of many objectives of this DAO but not the only objective. By building a school and allowing children who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity to receive an education we are allowing them to not only have a chance to become a future web3 builder but also give them an opportunity to become anything the dream of becoming. To me that is invaluable.

To me, when it comes to social impact projects we shouldn’t be asking what can these projects do to benefit the DAO but rather what can the DAO do to benefit these projects. Similar to the 10,000,000 $ape that was donated to the Jane Goodall Legacy Foundation I would love to see the DAO vote on an AIP that sets a certain amount of $ape aside each year for social impact. Sometimes these projects might not have an immediate “benefit” to the DAO but as the saying goes “what goes around, comes around” we have the ability to do good and in turn good will come to us.

I will document the entire process and do as much as I can to show the DAO how big of an impact this will make. Ideally that will instill within our members a desire to do more good in the world.

I really appreciate this. It is good to know we have amazing members in this community. I love the idea of letting the community be as involved as possible and will certainly think through how to make that happen.

:heart:

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 35 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

@Lost.Admin

1 Like

Great project brother :slight_smile: let’s see how it goes

5 Likes

I would love to see this happening :heart:

3 Likes

I would love to see this happening to mate !

3 Likes