ApeCoinDAO funded primary school in Ghana

I hope the final version is well received and meets all expectations. This will be a great success can’t wait

3 Likes

looking forward to your updated version :+1:

5 Likes

I really would love to see the update, there is so much potential here if all the right pieces are in places.

1 Like

Are you familiar with @thetechrabbi.eth? He authored AIP-104, “Bringing Web3 to Educators and Schools,” and as an educator with success passing an education-related AIP he might be a resource for fully building out this proposal.

5 Likes

Hi @BojangleGuy,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

@Lost.Admin

1 Like

Let’s extend another 7 days

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@BojangleGuy has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

@Lost.Admin

1 Like

what a great idea bro, hope we can put it into practice in the near future. Thanks for it @BojangleGuy

1 Like

I just edited this idea with the new iteration. Please re read and share feedback!

3 Likes

Maybe can add on some details like

• what is the education tier system over there like primary school / high school / junior high /college

• how big of a school are we building? housing from what tertiary education age group?

• will the budget be able to build a small sports activity field or small housing dorm for students that are from far away

3 Likes

Loved this Bojangle you got my vote!!!

2 Likes

This new iteration is truly impressive, and I’m thrilled to be a part of this project and contribute to providing a safe and functional learning environment for the children in Ghana. I am deeply motivated by the goal of addressing the lack of access to quality education in Ghana. As a lifelong friend and a member of the DAO, I am committed to being the boots on the ground, ensuring that we are involved every step of the way. Visiting the construction site during the construction phase and the handoff ceremony is a good initiative because it allows us to showcase our commitment to the project and provide DAO representation. I remain confident that with our collective efforts, we can bring this project to fruition within the estimated timeframe. :crossed_fingers: :100:

3 Likes

I would like to start by saying how much I would love to see more proposals like this, that is, those that specifically set out to make a real-world difference tackling real-world issues. Education is a huge one for me, and I’d love to include some language along these lines as we revisit the “Mission Statement” component of our DAO.

With that being said, I appreciate @BojangleGuy addressing some of my questions from earlier, but I’ll be perfectly honest: even with the updates, I still have major concerns over the lack of attention or forethought being attributed toward maintaining this school’s funding stream over time.

If the goal is to improve the quality of education, that improvement occurs on a systemic level, not a surface-level one. While the infrastructure is absolutely needed (the physical buildings, amenities, utilities, learning materials, staff, etc.), the things a great school will need to deliver the greatest actual outcomes are those that take routine maintenance and recursion (staff training, high-quality faculty, up-to-date learning materials, regular IT maintenance, etc.).

The quality of the instruction is first and foremost. My daughters’ schools here in Oakland, California have been on strike for over a week because the school district has refused to pay (newer) teachers a fair living wage. This isn’t just a local issue, as teachers are underpaid regardless of physical geography and it’s often a result of local governments failing to prioritize educational expenditures. To this end, ensuring teachers are not just paid, but paid well and are provided the support they need to teach effectively is far from an easy task. The solution raised of “let the government fund it” like they do the rest of primary education is simply not good enough, it’s a nearly sure-fire way to ensure that this school goes the way of every other underperforming school in the region, albeit in a newer, shinier package.

In the absence of a 1-year, 5-year and 10-year financial plan, we are doing the students and staff of this school a tremendous disservice by failing to address the largely foreseeable issue of funding that plagues virtually every educational institution the world over. Relying on local government without any promises or budget earmark commitments in place is a recipe for failure, and the DAO should not be asked to fund this school in perpetuity. In our rush to do good now, I fear we aren’t prioritizing the harder conversation: how to establish and preserve our desired longer-term outcomes.

And while I’m being candid, I didn’t raise this earlier but the term “third world” is woefully outdated. Would you consider altering the title to specifically address the chosen locale of Ghana?

6 Likes

Hey @CryptoLogically I appreciate the updated feedback and mutual desire for these types of proposals.

To answer a couple points you made above. The goal here would be to give students a place to recieve an education. The current school house is non existent. You have kids sitting outside under the trees (See updated photos, these are from the actual proposed location, taken 2 days ago). Although I do 100% agree with you that the ideal solution here would be to not only build the school but fund the school, its educators, and its curriculum. This would be a much larger ask ( $1,000,000+) and also be much more complex to get going as we would essentially be a private school operating in Ghana. If you want to team up and work together on this type of proposal I am more than ready to give it a shot!

The current school, or lack thereof is currently funded by the government (as is every public school in Ghana) they have teachers, they teach the curriculum set forth by the government, they have “funding”. What they don’t have is a safe space for kids to receive that instruction/education. I think you would agree that by building the infrastructure for these students to learn within would increase the quality of the education being given.

For me this proposal is an opportunity for the DAO to show that we are a grants DAO. That we do have a collective responsibility to leave things better than we found them. That we believe in equality. And that we are bold, we don’t shy away from the weird, the hard, or the new.

I really do appreciate your feedback and openness on this. This is what makes this DAO so special. Will this idea ever make it to snapshot for vote?? Who knows? At the very least it will cause us as a DAO to start thinking about how we can make a real world difference and ideally lead to more frequent conversations within the DAO along these same lines. And to your point, ideally it will have some impact on the upcoming mission statement for the DAO.

Also, updated the title. :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Hey @justzb !

The education system in Ghana is Primary / JHS (Junior High) / SHS (Senior High)
Primary School – 6 years (Starting at age 6)
Junior Secondary/High School – 3 years
Senior Secondary School – 3 years

The current proposed location houses Primary and JHS students. This isn’t a boarding school so there would be no dormitory. And I really like your idea of including a recreational area. Most schools in Ghana already have this but I am sure we could improve it from its current form.

2 Likes

Cant wait to see more of it!!!

2 Likes

Now this makes much more sense when you describe the need being addressed, which is the actual physical infrastructure of a school. I think the following quote is what threw me off what the actual intention was:

The “Motivation” segment led me to understand that the actual outcome we want to fund is the “quality education” component, but in reality it’s the physical space in which that education is delivered that we are actually looking at building. Reading the proposal more closely, you do make mention of that, to your credit.

However, this is exactly where the yet-to-be-crafted “Rationale” section will truly make your case crystal clear. I’m looking forward to seeing this fleshed out, as here you can make the strongest arguments highlighting the need for safe, enclosed, physical spaces for learning in Ghana.

Also, AIPs can be more than one “Category,” so I would argue that this isn’t just a “Brand Decision” but also an “Ecosystem Fund Allocation” proposal as well, in that it isn’t solely to leverage the ApeCoin brand (as it’s aiding in the physical construction of a school as well). There is precedence for this, as we saw AIP-136 labeled as both.

Finally, thank you for the title update. It’s also more specific, which can only help.

2 Likes

Its crazy to see how many lack of basic needs there, really hope this AIP goes well!!!

1 Like

Great :+1: Looking forward to this proposal

3 Likes

I’ve read through all the comments, we are having a great discussion here. I was wandering a lot in how can we develop projects in our DAO, what problems could we solve and etc. I was just thinking about obvious stuff related to Web3 ecosystem and you are shooting a light in wich ways the DAO could impact and build. I must confess I would never be able to think about building a primary school using $APE funding, I can’t wait to see it becoming alive.

I have connections with one of the biggest volunteer platforms in the world and we can surely raise some hands to help in the structure building, I would love to help you when the AIP reaches this stage, I’m also a photographer.

Wish you good winds @BojangleGuy

3 Likes