AIP-136: ApeCoin Community goes racing at Daytona International Speedway

ApeCoin Community goes racing at Daytona International Speedway

PROPOSAL CATEGORY:

Ecosystem Fund Allocation and Brand Decision

ABSTRACT:

This AIP provides for $165,000 USD (which includes a 10% contingency) to fund a marketing initiative to increase awareness of Ape Coin.

Imagine cheering for the ApeCoin sponsored race car in a nationally televised race! I want to bring ApeCoin to the NASCAR racing community. This can be accomplished in February 2023 during the most visible week of racing — at the World Center of Racing, Daytona International Speedway. We will involve the ApeCoin community by holding a contest to custom design a fully digital ApeCoin vinyl wrap for the 200 mph race car! That’s right, the ApeCoin community will design the look of the race car! The winner (and companion) will receive airfare, accommodations, Pit Road Patio Suite credentials to the race (The Lucas Oil 200) and infield/garage credentials to meet the team and the ApeCoin race car prior to the race. ALL members that vote for this initiative will be eligible to join us at Daytona and watch the race from the Pit Road Patio Suite (thats right behind the race teams on pit road)! We will have a random drawing for up to 35 members to join us and support the ApeCoin race car! The goal of this funding is to increase awareness and adoption of ApeCoin.

MOTIVATION:

The goal of this AIP is to reach a new and immense audience, the NASCAR racing community. NASCAR has been a platform for not only new products, but new ideas and concepts to be displayed on a global scale. The NASCAR fan base has proven over time to be one of the most loyal. Years ago NASCAR was known for its race car sponsors such as cigarettes, beer and laundry detergent. As times and fan bases evolved, new sponsors took advantage of the sports growing audience. Pharmaceutical companies (Pfizer), Technology companies (AWS), Banking/Investing institutions (Ally/PNC), Universities (UNOH/Liberty), AAA…the list is long and diverse. Not only are the NASCAR sponsors diverse but they are a very caring community that contributes to many charities and non-profit organizations from human health, animal refuge to clean water initiatives. NASCAR fans embrace new products, ideas and concepts. This nationally televised arena will be a great environment to grow the ApeCoin community.

RATIONALE:

Guy Oseary said it best…and I quote: “To promote a diverse and self-sustaining ecosystem, ApeCoin should be so ubiquitous that it’s part of mainstream culture. ApeCoin can lead the way in bringing more people, companies, and brands to web3, and that we can do so in an inclusive way that reflects the ApeCoin DAO values.”

A BIT ABOUT ME:

I am a University of Central Florida graduate with a BA in Communications. I have been a race car driver for over 25 years. The majority of my career has been as a team owner/driver. In 1998 I was Rookie of the Year and logged wins in the NASCAR Winston Racing Series and the Coca-Cola 100. In 2001, I made the move to the NASCAR Goody’s Dash Series in which I recorded a top 10 finish at Daytona in the Daytona USA 150. My business partner and crew chief Col Robinson entered a deal with Dale Earnhardt in 2000 in which would have made me the driver of his #3 NASCAR Busch Series car in 2001 for Dale Earnhardt. Tragically Earnhardt was killed in the 2001 Daytona 500, which nullified the deal. In future years, top manufacturers and NASCAR Cup team owners such as Toyota, Chevrolet, Jack Roush and Robert Yates all had interest in me driving for their teams, but sponsorship never generated to the level of expectation. Since, I continued my racing career finding success in ASA and NASCAR regional racing series to the present, while a business owner and consultant for top automotive manufacturers.

SPECIFICATIONS:

I propose a fun ApeCoin community activity to design the “look” of the race car! As we will be wrapping the race car in a digital vinyl wrap, the ApeCoin car can have any look that is desired. I propose a “Members Contest” with a community vote to decide the winner. I plan to set up an ApeCoin display race car in an area outside of the track so the fans can take their picture with a real ApeCoin race car! We will encourage fans to post their picture and interactions on their favorite social media outlet for a chance to win tickets to the race! Of course we will be also handing out some ApeCoin racing “swag”! I have been very well connected to the media due to my racing history and contacts in the business. There will be multiple news stories and specials about my return to Daytona and ApeCoin as our primary partner. All of this will occur in a variety of media outlets - television networks, print, online etc. all leading up to race day.

STEPS TO IMPLEMENT:

• Approval and transfer of funds to secure the race team
  • Launch of the ApeCoin race car design contest
  • Winner is declared and notified
  • Live stream unveiling of the ApeCoin race car a week prior to the race
  • Television, online and print news features and promotion of ApeCoin’s partnership
  • Daytona Speedweeks festivities, engagements, ApeCoin display race car for for fan interactions leading up to the Lucas Oil 200

TIMELINE:

Start Date: 9-19-22. Completion Date: 2-18-23. Time is sensitive. The sooner the funds can be approved and secured, the greater selection of race teams we get to choose from…which means the greater chance of winning the race and putting the ApeCoin race car in victory lane increasing publicity for ApeCoin Nation! On September 19th I traveled to Charlotte, NC and met with multiple race teams and colleagues for several days. Since, I have done the necessary research for the various costs incurred for the race and the support marketing costs during the race week. Basically, once the funds are approved, we can secure the race team. This team, in turn, will provide the car and team for the ApeCoin ARCA Menards series racing entry. The team will prepare the car leading up to the two day test date at Daytona in January (practice and testing the car for the race) all the way through race day. In the weeks leading up to the race, I will secure and promote ApeCoin with television, online/print news features and public relations postings. An ApeCoin display race car will be staged next to the track from the beginning of Speedweek’s until the conclusion. Speedweeks at Daytona begins on February 14th with nationally televised practice sessions, qualifying, races and finalizes with the Daytona 500 on February 19th. The ARCA Menards Lucas Oil 200 race will take place on Saturday, February 18th 2023. Time is of the essence, as that allows us to choose from the best teams in the series to increase our chances of victory and maximizing ApeCoin exposure on FOX’s national television coverage!!!

OVERALL COST:

Total cost will be $165,000 USD (which includes a 10% contingency). This includes: all transportation, testing and racing costs, digital vinyl wrap, fan base marketing outreach at the track, marketing personnel, giveaways, Pit Road Patio Suite for the ApeCoin community, ApeCoin display race car and operation costs.

APPENDIX:

• Supplemental “About Daytona Speedweeks Page”
  • The ARCA Menards Race - The Lucas Oil 200
  • NASCAR ARCA Menards Metrics Video
  • ApeCoin ARCA Menards Series Race Car
  • Daytona Pit Road Patio Suites
  • Daytona Speedweeks Schedule

SPEEDWEEKS AT DAYTONA:

Speedweeks at Daytona is a pinnacle week in racing….it is NASCAR’s “Super Bowl” week. The Daytona 500 has been a sell out virtually every year at its 125,000 fan capacity. Most of the fans, which come from all over the world, come out days prior to enjoy all the racing during the week. Speedweeks at Daytona is more than just “on the track”. This week is a blank canvas for marketing opportunities. The dynamic is similar to a 7-day rock concert that have races “break out” during the week! Marketing, promotions, parties, PR and exhibits go on all week both at Daytona International Speedway and surrounding areas in the city of Daytona. To give the community a more detailed look at the Speedweeks schedule and the dynamic of Speedweeks at Daytona, I attached the 2022 Speedweeks schedule and “2022 Rewind Video” below.

Weekend Rewind VIDEO - 2022 Speedweeks at DAYTONA

The ARCA Menards Series is owned by NASCAR and is a NASCAR touring series. These cars are almost identical looking to the NASCAR Cup Cars that you might be familiar with. The ARCA Menards race at Daytona - The Lucas Oil 200, takes place on Saturday, the day before the Daytona 500. It shares the same race day as the NASCAR XFINITY - Beef. Its what’s for Dinner 300. This makes for a HUGE Saturday of racing as the fan base that attends the NASCAR XFINITY race on Saturday will also attend the ARCA Menards race on the same ticket. All races during Speedweeks carry a national television broadcast by Fox Sports One (FS1). Below, I attached a short “about video" of the ARCA Menards Series to give you a closer look at its metrics.

2022 ARCA Menards Series Video

THE APECOIN ARCA MENARDS SERIES RACE CAR:

DAYTONA PIT ROAD PATIO SUITE:

Daytona patio suite 1
Daytona patio suites 2
Daytona patio suites 3
Daytona patio suites 4

2023 NASCAR Daytona 500 Speedweeks Schedule

The 65th running of the Daytona 500 will take place on February 19th, 2023 with a packed week of on-track action preceding it.

(All times EST.; Schedule is tentative and subject to change)

Tuesday, February 14
5:05 p.m. - 5:55 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series first practice
6:35 p.m. - 7:25 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series second practice

Wednesday, February 15
8:05 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series single-car qualifying (two rounds)

Thursday, February 16
4:35 p.m. - 5:25 p.m. - NASCAR Truck Series first practice
5:30 p.m. - 6:20 p.m. - ARCA Racing Series first practice
7:00 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series Qualifying Race #1
8:45 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series Qualifying Race #2

Friday, February 17
1:30 p.m. - ARCA Racing Series qualifying
3:00 p.m. - NASCAR Truck Series qualifying
4:35 p.m. - 5:25 p.m. - NASCAR Xfinity Series first practice
6:00 p.m. - 6:50 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series third practice
7:30 p.m. - NASCAR Truck Series ‘NextEra Energy 250’ race (100 laps)

Saturday, February 18
10:30 a.m. - 11:20 a.m. - NASCAR Cup Series final practice
11:35 a.m. - NASCAR Xfinity Series qualifying
1:30 p.m. - ARCA ‘Lucas Oil 200’ race (80 laps)
5:00 p.m. - NASCAR Xfinity Series ‘Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. 300’ race (120 laps)

Sunday, February 19
2:30 p.m. - NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 (200 laps)

1 Like

Welcome to the community @raceape

Thanks for drafting up a well-written proposal with lots of supporting docs and visuals. I’m pretty sure the Racing Fans will get behind the wheel on this with minimal questions.

However, I do have a few myself (forget the fact that I’m an F1 SuperFan :laughing::

1 - Seems like we may have missed your timelines. Was this an earlier proposal you never got around to submitting in time, or from another Granting DAO?

2 - You’re draft also infers that if we miss the September deadline, we may not get in the winner’s circle – does this proposal now relegate us to inferior teams, cars, drivers (the loser’s circle, heh heh)?

3 - If this proposal passes and you receive the requested funds, will the car now with the ApeCoin branding continue to race in future competitions beyond Daytona and will the wrapped vehicle be utilized in promotional/marketing campaigns without incurring additional costs to the DAO?

Love the idea of promoting ApeCoin through such exciting marketing vehicles (yes, I know) – hopefully F1 will be in the slipstreams in the not too distant future (yes, I know again) :laughing:

Peace
SSP✌🏽

7 Likes

Thank you ssp1111 for the warm welcome and I greatly appreciate your feedback! I will do my best to answer each of your questions. (F1 is a great series :grinning: )

1. This is a new proposal. There needed to be some preliminary conversations and meetings prior to submission. I wanted to be 100% thorough with all of the details prior to a formal submission to the community.

2. I apologize for the miscommunication. Mid - September was when I met with several teams that were interested in the opportunity of working with me for the February race. I’m sure as an F1 “Superfan”, you are aware that with any highly competitive sport, the more time you have to prepare prior to a season/race, the more opportunity you have at success. There are many preparations that need to take place logistically,
    operationally as well as marketing. Finally, I have been a driver/owner in the sport for many years. I wouldn’t do myself or the ApeCoin community the injustice of proceeding if we were not partnered with a team capable of success. ( I enjoyed the “losers circle” comment btw, HA!)

3. The goal was to join both the ApeCoin and NASCAR communities together…and to do this on NASCAR’S biggest stage - Daytona Speedweek’s. Once success was realized by this one race sample, the community could decide if there was interest in, let’s say, a larger sample of races on the NASCAR schedule.

I hope my responses answered your inquiries. Thank you again for questions and your kind feedback!

Cheers,
raceape

5 Likes

Hi @raceape,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Pearson

2 Likes

So…I have a few questions…because I get confused when I read this proposal…
Please clarify:

1. Who will own the car? Who will manage this appearance and future ones?
  2. What ongoing expenses can we expect? Is it the DAOs responsibility?

I could introduce an “AIP: Buy Sword An Apecoin Lambo” for the same price is why I ask.
Or even create a raffle for 10 people to win Apecoin Hayabusas to drive around the major world cities.

What are you doing w/ this car after February, and whats the long term plan for this?

7 Likes

These kind of proposals add negligible value.

2 Likes

Hello 0xSword,

Thank you for your reply. Please allow me to attempt to answer your inquiries:

1. This proposal represents one engagement - The Lucas Oil 200, a nationally televised race at Daytona International Speedway during Speedweek’s. The race team owns the car. We will be entering an agreement to race the car for the team owner and ApeCoin will be the primary partnered sponsor.

2. There are no further responsibilities of the DAO after the initial asking is met. Anything further would be optioned with a new proposal.

The purpose of this is to introduce ApeCoin to the NASCAR community during the most viewed/attended race week of the year. ApeCoin will be introduced and visible to the over 125,000 fans that attend Speedweek’s, plus the millions that watch the races on FOX both domestically and internationally.

I greatly appreciate your time and feedback. Hopefully I was able to answer your inquiries.

Thank you!

3 Likes

gm gm,

To follow-up on OxSword’s questions would you mind confirming:

• ApeCoin will just be a sponsor for a single race for the cost of $165,000
  • The ApeCoin car will NOT be in any other race for this price
  • There will not be any other opportunities to show the ApeCoin car at conferences or festivals or Events included in this proposal/price

I’m only asking as another DAO I’m in sponsored a vehicle at a Nascar race this last weekend in Florida and the costs were considerably lower

:racing_car: SSP :checkered_flag:

7 Likes

Hello SSP!

Thank you for your comments and inquiries! It is always great to see that yet another other DAO is taking advantage of marketing to the NASCAR community! You are correct in that this will be a one race opportunity. The idea is to show success from one race during the biggest race week of the year and to pursue a larger opportunity in a separate proposal. This opportunity will provide the ApeCoin community and NASCAR community to “meet”. As an F1 fan, I’m sure you are aware that marketing in motorsports has many layers. There are many factors that dictate the marketing cost - team success (notoriety), primary or associate sponsor, marketing support and outreach to accompany the sponsorship etc. We will be not only be associated and racing for a team that is capable of winning the race ( more FOX television coverage), but we will also be supporting this effort through multiple avenues - Multiple television, print, online support stories in the weeks leading up to the race, FOX television coverage of practices and qualifying during the week, a staffed display race car during the week for fan interactions and giveaways, ApeCoin community meeting on race day in the Daytona Pit Road Patio Suites…not to mention the all expense paid trip for our ApeCoin community race car design winners! I hope this better addresses your questions. I hope to see you in Daytona!!

Have a great one!

raceape

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @raceape for your ideas and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @raceape please see your messages for the next steps.

-Pearson

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@raceape has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Pearson

I’m excited by the premise of this proposal. It’s always nice to see people bring their passion and create a community initiative around it. Having said that, I think the nature of this project might be too niche and perhaps too localized even, especially considering that this is a one-off race for this budget and someone else owns the vehicle. I think there needs to be more balance between the size of the budget and longevity/sustainability of its impact.

125k spectators is not necessarily a large number given this context! Not everyone will be fixated on one car which is also a new brand! “Millions” watching on TV will get even less exposure. For these branding and promotional stunts to work, I think it’s very important to have a level of repetition and continuity. Otherwise it’s very easy for it to be lost in the sea of branding at an event like this or even if noticed, easily and quickly forgotten if it’s just a short one-off exposure.

Having said this, I still think it would be cool if something like this could happen and ideally have an in-built continuity/sustainability plan. Perhaps there can be co-sponsors, for example another coin? Another platform?!

I think if the ask was significantly lower (even with everything else be as it stands), there could be a lot of support for this idea!

5 Likes

Hello Novocrypto,

Thank you for taking the time to read our proposal! I greatly appreciate your comments and truly look forward to the opportunity of expanding the ApeCoin community by way of introduction to the NASCAR family.

1 Like

GM. Apecoin Fam

I have been a member of the BAYC/MAYC/$APE since August 2021.

After attending Apefest in June I flew to Las Vegas to play in the World Series of Poker. I was at the Bellagio when I was randomly seated next to @raceape This AIP idea came from a six hour conversation at the poker table followed by multiple phone calls and planning over the last four months. I support this AIP and believe value will come from connecting the NASCAR community to the Ape coin and broader YUGA ecosystem.

I am disappointed with some of the community feedback. Viewing this as only a one-off race with a high price tag is the equivalent of the rest of the world thinking our Primate PNG’s are worthless.

The idea for the community design contest is to showcase the talented creators in our community. The vinyl wrap on the car will be piece of art. There will be lots of opportunity for fan photo’s with the car and promotions leading up to the race. The contest winner will have a behind the scenes look into the world of NASCAR. Members attending in person will be able to create amazing content from the pit road patio suite, lasting memories and new friendships.

@raceape I am impressed how quickly you have got up to speed and your tenacity to submit this AIP. The community would be lucky to have you represent us at Daytona.

HODLMSTR

4 Likes

I don’t think this proposal is a bad idea. I think there’s more potential in it, and that potential must be explored in order to get the DAO’s positive attention.

Like, there’s another proposal to make an Ape monument. I said the same thing I’ll say here: What’s web3 about the proposal? Do something new.

1 Like

Every single DAO has been hit by ideas like NASCAR, Billboard advertising, Online Ad spend, Physical Location Ads, Statues. These ideas only enrich the proposal maker at the expense of the community.

1 Like

True.

And you’re probably right about this guy… very first time posting, asking for six digits. Pulling up quotes of Guy Oseary like he’s Jesus. Dude probably doesn’t even have an Ape. Just trying to be positive.

Thats just mean and not in the spirit of the DAO. The OP used his real name and is easily searchable. I have no knowledge of any other DAO’s using NASCAR because I am not involved in any other DAO’s or hold any NFT’s outside of the YUGA ecosystem. I have a verified account on the BAYC DISCORD under the same handle.

1 Like