@lior.eth - Nomination 1/2022

Personal Information

Discourse ID: @lior.eth

Twitter: https://twitter.com/lior_eth

Name: Lior Messika

DOB: 11/28/1995

Professional Background: I’ve been a professional investor for 8+ years, helped scale billion dollar companies with my family, and have been a director on many boards ever since starting Eden Block, my latest and current engagement, 6 years ago.

Nomination Statement

I am running for the Special Council because I believe that I am extremely well equipped to push ApeCoin DAO into its next stage of growth. I have an intimate understanding of the DAO and all its constituents - from the perspectives of an investor, operator, entrepreneur, builder, and most importantly, long-time member of the community.

Motivation

Above all, I am both personally and professionally heavily invested in the ApeCoin ecosystem. And when the stakes are so incredibly high, skin in the game is a massive differentiator. As a long-time member of the community, an investor in Yuga Labs, and as the Founder of the Mutant Cartel - I’ve lived, breathed, and built in this ecosystem in ways that very few have done in our short history. I am presenting myself to the Special Council as a servant to the community and ecosystem that I hold so dear for the simple reason that I believe that I can make a real, positive impact on our way forward as a DAO.

Rationale

My experience of building billion dollar companies, value creation within the Apecoin ecosystem (Mutant Cartel) rich industry knowledge (NFTs, Metaverse, web3, etc), and 6 years of investing in deep web3 infra (Eden Block) provides me with unparalleled vantage points that should prove extremely valuable for our next phase of growth and materialization.

To elaborate on the points above, I should provide some background on my current main engagements:

• Firstly, I’ll touch on Eden Block. I founded Eden Block almost 6 years ago with a very clear purpose - to back the builders of the new Open internet, from the earliest of stages. Since then, I’ve invested dozens of millions of dollars into some of the most talented entrepreneurs in web3. Today, Eden Block stands as the most active infra-focused Seed fund in web3. Our portfolio powers some of the most fundamental applications in web3, including Decentraland, DYDX, and Sandbox (and many more!). We’ve led 10+ Seed rounds in the last year only, and I’ve routinely taken up numerous board seats as part of my firm’s investments. Through Eden Block, I’ve actively and deeply participated in Governance - centralized or decentralized, and alongside my portfolio teams, refined strategies that touched on a wide variety of topics: communications, product, decentralization, and much more. In my time as a Fund Founder and a full-time web3 venture investor, I’ve learned that the most important part of building in web3 is being a powerful communicator. You are nothing without your community, and who better than Apecoin DAO to represent this statement. The breadth of engagements and highly immersive experiences I’ve gained at Eden Block gives me the perspectives and know-how to bring more structure to the Special Council’s processes; ameliorate communications to our community, bring everyone onto the same page, and keep things running smoothly and efficiently.

• Secondly, I’ll touch on my experiences as a Builder within our ecosystem. For the last year (a little more by now), I’ve put my heart and soul into creating and growing the Mutant Cartel - where Mutant Apes unite, build, and innovate. Today, the Mutant Cartel is by far the most popular and successful MAYC-focused community within the BAYC/ApeCoin universe. We call it a planet within a galaxy, the proverbial sand castle within the sandbox created by the Yuga Founders. In my time building the Cartel, I’ve learned a great deal about our community - the collectors, the adjacent builders, and the community members without which none of this would be possible. The Cartel is the meeting place for more than 4,200 active users, a large majority of which are Mutants, and a vast majority of which are ApeCoin members. Through my work on the Cartel, expanding our universe and onboarding new members, I learned how to think creatively, build strong brands, and communicate with a community on a massive scale. As an entrepreneur and builder within the ApeCoin ecosystem, I’ve learned about the minutiae of creating value for ApeCoin members, the bridges to build, and the walls to break through. I believe that the experience of building something successful within our ecosystem gives us a massive advantage. An advantage that I can bring back to the Special Council in full force, to better inform our views of the community and to better empower fellow builders in our ecosystem.

• Thirdly, I’ll on my experiences as an entrepreneur, investor, and operator prior to getting involved in Web3. For the last 50 years, my family and I have built companies - B2B companies as well as major consumer brands. For five decades, we bootstrapped business from 0 all the way to unicorn valuations - all with no outside funding and no outside influence. As CEO of Messika Holdings Group, I was in charge of overseeing investments, strategy, and the totality of our portfolio of companies.

Lastly, I believe that ApeCoin Special Council members should have entrepreneurial, operational, as well as corporate experience. I bring all of this experience, as well as an incredibly deep industry know-how and understanding of the community. For all these reasons, I am one of the best-equipped candidates to take on such an important task.

Specifications

Experiences in Governance and Decentralized Governance:

• Reviewed decentralized governance plans for every single project I’ve ever backed through Eden Block.

• Hold board directorships for a majority of portfolio companies where a board exists.

Ideas for DAO Improvement:

• The ApeCoin DAO needs better infrastructure. I’ve been a vocal supporter of adopting tools like Catapult (Proposal in Progress), and others to make the UX of DAO members substantially better and more efficient. As a Special Council member, I will continue to do everything in my power to provide the community & Council with more visibility on areas where we can improve by adopting better infrastructure.

• The Special Council needs an overhaul in terms of comms, transparency vis-a-vis projects, internal conversations and decisions, etc. As a Special Council member, I will do everything in my power to bring about a completely new way of delivering information to DAO members and to enable a clearer discourse between the Council and the Community.

Concluding Statement

I believe that ApeCoin Special Council members should have entrepreneurial, operational, as well as corporate experience. I bring all of this experience, as well as an incredibly deep industry know-how and understanding of the community. For these reasons, I am one of the best-equipped candidates to take on such an important task.

17 Likes

As an early member of the Mutant Cartel, I believe Lior will positively impact the ApeCoin council. Often I see DAO funding become drained with proposal funding going to the events, labor costs, etc. While all of that is important, there also needs to be a strong emphasis on how we think about becoming a regenerative community and having solid returns on investment through each proposal. This is why having someone with fund/private equity and entrepreneurial expertise is quite relevant and essential to a council.

1 Like

Happy that you have decided to be part of the elections and a candidate for the Special Council members position. We need someone like you - with your background & experience - in one of the three Special Council places.

Just have one question from my side: How many hours weekly/monthly do you plan to allocate to the Apecoin Dao on regular basis, @lior.eth?

Thank you,
-withoutname

2 Likes

UX is everything. It is how you garner participation, confidence, buy-in, excitement… everything.

I think Lior gets this more than most. Also the Mutant Cartel is so dope. Everything Lior does has the ape community in mind. The grind never stops in Lior-ville, and meeting him was one of the highlights of my New York Trip. He has a way to reinvigorate the perma-bull within you, and reminding us why we are all here. We need this kind of attitude in the DAO, especially from an experienced, selfless builder!

2 Likes

What are you going to do to close the gap between SC and builders with talent and drive but no opportunity to reach the upper echelon of the Yuga ecosystem?

2 Likes

I want to see you as a council :purple_heart:

if we gave you all the power to chose the other 2 nominees

who would you would pick and why?

most of the community knows you, but I want to know how deep you know the community…

also how many hours you are willing to dedicate for the DAO per week? given how busy you are

respect
Dvee

2 Likes

Thank you! Means a lot to me.

Hey Dvee! Great to hear from you and thank you for the kind words. I will be getting back to your question with tons more detail in the next day. Dropping a ton of info here and on Twitter real soon. Keep an eye out!

2 Likes

That’s a really good question, Mantis. It all starts with communication, and actually understanding what builders need to be successful in our ecosystem. As an early stage VC, and as the Founder of the Mutant Cartel, I believe the context that I possess here is unparalleled.

Every single builder in our ecosystem deserves an opportunity to be heard, understood, and motivated. The best way to allow for this at scale is to provide Builders more tools and a better infrastructure to reach their peak capacity. I believe that the SC should put a lot of time into remodelling what this could potentially look like.

Founder of the Mutant Cartel,

This is a great place to start.

I’ve been a Mutant member who’s followed the entire history of the Cartel. I’ve attempted on many occasions to use the infrastructure to get in contact with people with ideas, including the new form you have on the new Cartel website.

That group is much smaller, and still I’ve received no feedback on anything, even when using the infrastructure provided. Nothing negative or positive, just ignored. So would those same weaknesses follow you here? I’ve had much better success here getting some people to listen and include me even though ApeDAO has less infrastructure. The last thing I’d want is for the experience I’ve had in the Cartel to be duplicated here.

A major point I’ve made across as many threads as I can: SC MUST serve as connective tissue between ground level Ape participants and the groups that SC uses as resume builders. I’ve had ideas about infrastructure; so have a lot of others, but until that happens, SC is the infrastructure, and I’d want to hear concrete plans about how personal connections can be created through the people first.

I’ll give an example.

There’s a builder here Jason who learned Solidity on his own and has created ApeTapes, which is literally a trillion dollar ERC protocol upgrade that catalogues music in a way that can compete with ASCAP and BMI. He’s done the same work by himself that Sound.xyz and other VC-backed builders take months to do. That’s infrastrucure that could take ApeDAO and Mutant Cartel into the mainstream music culture, but it sits dormant because connectors won’t take the time to listen. They don’t know what they don’t know. There’s no way to explain this tech to voters who don’t do Discourse except through personal connections. Guys like you saying “I believe in this” is worth 1,000 Medium articles trying to actually explain what the tech does.

Thoughts?

Hi @lior.eth, I am asking all candidates these same questions:

1. If elected, what is the one item you feel passionate about and would like to see accomplished during your tenure within the DAO? (Let’s pretend you only had the time and energy to make a personal push for one item - what would it be?)

2. Are there any factors in your life that may limit your ability to serve? (conflicts of interest, time allocation, limited wifi bc you work from Starbucks… etc)

3. What is your least favorite thing right now with our DAO in it’s current state?

4. What is a Koda?

Thank you,
F/S

Lior could be the most qualified and proven person on the long list of nominees. We would be lucky to have him serving our community with the passion he has shown consistently for more than a year now.

I will be voting for Lior!

5 Likes

Would still love to see some answers here.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.