Requiring super majority or a fee on certain proposals

Just want to clarify, no one’s being rewarded for voting right now. There was a proposal that passed, AIP-106: POAP Voting Rewards, but it hasn’t been implemented and was passed before the Abstain option, so I’m not sure how it will work with that. I’m of the opinion that there are no rewards for Abstaining.

I think it’s a big assumption that Abstain voters are disinterested/uninformed. While that may make up a portion of them, there are many other reasons people Abstain.

I also believe there’s probably plenty of uniformed votes that vote for or against a proposal as well. Undereducated voters is not a problem exclusive to the Abstain button imo.

Regarding your other comment, sent you a message to discuss further.

6 Likes

It would be interesting to include a link on the snapshot page to a poll, which asks “If you voted abstain, please indicate why:”

• Disinterested in this proposal, it could pass or not, I don’t care
  • Uninformed, I don’t know know enough about it to form an opinion and not willing to learn at this time
  • Have a conflict of interest, I should not be voting for/against
  • Other ______

The abstainers probably won’t fill out the form though. But I’d still like to see some data.

4 Likes

I’m huge on data myself. However, I highly doubt anyone will out themselves as being uninformed or disinterested, so the results will likely be skewed anyway.

I’ve been giving voting a lot of thought lately, even going so far as to reach out to specific voters in DMs and ask why they chose to Abstain. In the end, I’ve come to the conclusion that voters should be able to freely choose what they choose, and not be obligated to explain themselves or their decisions. There’s already an optional comment box for those who choose to use it. Let’s not add additional layers to the process for the sake of extracting potentially misleading data.

4 Likes

I also believe they are free to choose whatever they want to vote for. I’m not saying they should feel obligated to fill out the poll either. Where I work we constantly poll our user base, and they are happy to tell us things through the polls they often do not through our feedback form which is readily available. The anonymous polls can help somewhat where the comment box on snapshot is tied to their account.

I’m just looking for more data, and this is one way to get it. It isn’t perfect.

3 Likes

Hi AA. I agree. I meant disinterested / uninformed voting in all categories.

When a vote, especially a crucial one, has more Abstain than In Favor and still passes, that looks terrible. If enough people show up and vote but not definitively for or against, that’s a fundamentally flawed proposal on some or several levels no matter the reasons for the Abstains.

One SC member, on Discord, openly stated (after the vote) that they’d delegated their $APE to vote on the Working Group Charter to another group, stating that group is neutral. Yet that group is part of the in crowd, has received AIP funds in the past, hopes to in the future, and has current AIPs in progress. While that group could be unbiased, the preceding sentence is the very definition of a biased and compromised vote.

While it seems voting was done within the rules here - however few, if any, there are - and presumably with best intentions, it totally stank given the importance and impact of that particular proposal and who stands to gain most from it.

Re: rewarding, there has been, and almost certainly will be, ideas floated to reward people for all kinds of participation including voting - and that was part of Abstain discussions - and that too is fundamentally flawed ethically, legally and otherwise. Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it won’t, and such a thing should be a total non-starter rather than something floated and voted down (or not).

Rewards programs already in place are enough of a slippery slope.

1 Like

most people don’t vote, so requirements for super majority could be challenging, but agreed it is needed on the big ticket items. I think a nominal fee would be a good barrier to entry. It does make me think though about incentives to encourage voting. has that been talked about previously? I assume so.

1 Like

Against FEE
You can choose how your proposal can be voted:

Always was 2 options: Majority wallets or Majority apecoins - first one is the right way in best scenarios I believe.

Cross-posting from the other super-majority thread to share some of the data:

1 Like

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

This Topic has been Withdrawn based on the DAO-approved guidelines due to no response in the last 30 days. The Topic may be submitted again by any user and upon approval, will be open for 7 days for community discussions.

This Topic will move and remain in the Withdrawn AIPs category.

-Amplify

1 Like