We need a more regular voting schedule

gm gm dyorjdr,

Having gone through the voting process on a couple of AIPs myself, I know that the questions/answers stage with the admins can range from weeks to months and therefore the cadence of AIPs will always be haphazard.

So, not sure if this can be controlled through a process but I can imagine something like this will happen kinda organically as the community grows and gets more engaged.

I do like that you do this though:

Perhaps you could propose a system where only members that “study in depth” can vote :laughing:?

I kid, do not that, seriously.

Thanks for sharing – SSP :v:t4:

4 Likes

I think this problem was raised by some community members before, but not normally as an AIP yet. So thanks for bringing it up again.

I agree that it’s better to equalize the number of AIPs per week. This is a request for admins and to be honest I don’t know how to set rules for this yet. I think this problem comes with another fact that many AIPs are on hold and we don’t know the process behind them. If many AIPs get stuck, it’s easy to have an “empty week” of votes.

2 Likes

I agree that the admins and security council should help to do this, and it can be accomplished through more transparency in the process. First thing is to require SC/admins are fully transparent about where an AIP is in the process, especially if its number gets skipped over.

1 Like

Hey ChrisL,

Thanks for adding your thoughts to the thread, and you said it yourself:

Maybe we start with identifying the bottlenecks in the process and come up with smart solutions that help the admins and the community and just have better communications overall.

Having “empty weeks” is not a real issue just a result of the somewhat archaic process.

There are plenty of galaxy brains in the community, I’m sure we can figure it out. We may have to wait to see who makes it to Special Council and what they propose.

Cheers - SSP✌🏽

3 Likes

Hi @ChrisL, in an effort to add transparency to the process on the status of AIPs, I’ve put together an AIP to add a new Discourse category for Administrative Review so it is clear which AIPs are under review or close to approval for a vote: Add new Discourse Category for “Administrative Review” - AIP Ideas - ApeCoin DAO

5 Likes

Hi @Mantis, I’ve put together an AIP to add a new Discourse category called Administrative Review: Add new Discourse Category for “Administrative Review” - AIP Ideas - ApeCoin DAO

The purpose is to add a small gain in transparency on which AIPs are under Council review. Currently, these AIPs remain in AIP Drafts. This AIP intends to add an additional layer of transparency. Hope to have your support!

4 Likes

Possibly this – but definitely Dashboards!

Better UX/UI and automagically updated dashboards would help… a lot.

Thanks for the reminders,

SSP✌🏽

2 Likes

The bigger issue remains that we’ve got a black box that can hold proposals like this up in limbo indefinitely and a contingent of non-responsives that skip discussion and only show up to troll the vote.

I am in favor of your proposal and a couple of others I saw that addressed transparency. Bigger question to the Discourse — how to get these proposals past the hurdles mentioned?

2 Likes

I agree that it would be nice to see some more consistency but an effort to average out voting may add to an already lengthy process.

1 Like

Hey @dyorjdr ,

Glad to see you’re pursuing an Idea for this here. @Vulkan and I have gone back and forth a bit about this, and I think it could be beneficial to reduce the expectation of “weekly” voting opportunities. If voting was scheduled for only 2 Thursdays per month, for instance, it’s possible that members of the community who struggle to keep up week to week could become more involved, on a bi-weekly basis. Maybe even once per month. This could also help to create more of a defined work flow for the admins as well (including Special Council).

Thank you for this Idea,
-Lost
:gorilla::orange_heart:

5 Likes

For example, I will propose to set a maximum of 2 proposals per week subject to votes.

I also wouldn’t bottleneck the number of proposals. We’re looking for more full time people to run the joint, not make the job easy to pander to them. That’s the wrong approach, plus it doesn’t allow for nearly enough ideas.

2 Likes

I can understand the frustration. As many others have said here, the irregularity is due to the existing process and having some AIPs halted for months. Some existing AIPs should lessen the bullwhip effect in the AIP flow.

Yeah i was going to suggest once a month. I dont think the community would be too active on a weekly basis. That would make this a full time job for trying to keep up with all of the AIPs. I would add to this though and say if ween need an emergency vote that we can make that possible.

3 Likes

I think we really need to think twice about reducing voting and extending periods between Idea to Snapshot. Once a month would be a killer. This could potentially add another 3~ weeks to the 5+ week waiting period (to receive funds) after the AIP passes. :sob:

2 Likes

Hi @dyorjdr,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Escape

1 Like

Hi @Escape, if it’s possible, I would like 7 more days to get more feedback, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@dyorjdr has requested to extend the community discussion period for this AIP idea. This topic will automatically close a further 7 days from now. We encourage the community to continue to engage in thoughtful discussions through constructive criticism, honest feedback, and helpful suggestions.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

-Escape

1 Like

I thank all the people who reacted to this idea.

As most have raised, greater transparency on the various deadlines of the AIPs in progress will make it possible to offer better visibility, and better anticipation of the votes.

In the meantime, I dare to hope that the new organization with new Council members and “new blood” will establish a clear structure to move forward and progress together.

2 Likes

Hi @dyorjdr,

Your topic will be automatically closing in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received, or do you wish to extend community discussion for a further 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Pearson

Two feedback on this

• Iteration takes time. 2-3 months is a good time to make improvement through Q&A. Our AIP-141 slowly improves in this process
  • Community driven accelerator to achieve product market fit. No idea is bad idea, it is just not refined and it takes time to build community, product to get recognized.

Therefore, regular voting schedule would help, but voting on projects that are not mature enough, the result would be still the same - rejection. The better question is — How can we as a team to improve quality of the proposal?

(1) Transparent communication
(2) Active forum involvement
(3) Community driven accelerator would be the potential solutions

2 Likes