AIP-137: The Special Council Nomination Process

Thank you so much for this proposal. I know a lot of work was put into it. My questions and comments are regarding the structure of the Special Council and how it serves the DAO.

• Does this mean that the Special Council members don’t have to attend weekly meetings since it says “on an as-needed basis”?
  • Does the “or as sufficient time as needed” mean there is no minimum time requirement for the role?

I also agree with those who have commented before me about experience. Since a key function is to work with and assess AIPs, experience with AIPs should be an expectation for Council members. And for all the categories, only needing exposure to virtual assets and cryptocurrencies for a role which oversees a major DAO’s treasury funds seems inadequate.

There are only three categories listed (unless Brand Decision & Informational count as two). It also says in the Lack of Nominees section that the number of Council seats is reduced until the next election if there aren’t enough nominees. If the DAO is able to function without all five, how is the Special Council essential to the governance of the DAO? Especially since each Council member is paid $250K a year.

• Could you give specific examples on what the Council has done now that it has been around for 6 months?
  • How many AIPs have been tagged with “Needs Administrative Review” and what were the reasons for reviewing them?
  • How many of those AIPs were rejected and why?
  • Is there a process to turn over a seat on the board?
  • How will the current Council share what they’ve learned?

Being that ApeCoin is a cryptocurrency, I would think that experience with managing large DAO treasury funds and DAO governance would be the main expectation over Web2 educational and/or professional credentials and proven experience managing/directing large corporations.

Would it not be best if they had experience in cryptocurrency law, politics, policy, and/or corporate governance specifically?

Given that the election process calls for elections twice-yearly, I fear that 4 months of the year will become election season and just like in politics, less will get done because it will be what most people focus on.

7 Likes