AIP-191: ApeCoin DAO Mission Statement Workshop

Very much so on board with this, thank you @badteeth for starting the conversation!

I’d like to add some narratives I’ve heard over the last few weeks posing this question on @ApeComms’ Friday Community Hour Twitter spaces.

Here are some of the most prominent ones I’ve heard echoed so far:

• “We’re the Web3 Metaverse creators. We’re a creator DAO powering Metaverse experiences.”

• “We need a micro scope and macro scope, essentially two mission statements.” - These can change and shift over time.

• Our mission is to: “Decentralize ownership of assets and IP. This includes funding public goods and metaverse activities that further ownership of our own data, IP and assets.”

• “Leave it better than we found it, with an emphasis on growth, and a growth culture.”

6 Likes

I’ve also had the privilege of speaking with many highly active DAO contributors recently and one of them shared their sentiment from BanklessDAO, which I think aligns very closely to what’s happening in ApeCoin DAO.

Something BanklessDAO did wrong was launch the token with a nebulous of values and just “let it go.”

They did not include the community as a part of the “Mission, Vision, Values” creation process. They lost momentum needed to capture the creator energy and there is still no true consensus on what BanklessDAO is or does.

There was a lack of infrastructure in place at the start, so the energy was lost because there was no cohesive coordination.

Arguably this has already happened to us, so I would define our priorities as: clearly defining our Mission, Vision, & Values to the community.

We’ve defined our Values, but we lack a Mission or Vision. So again, thank you very much @badteeth for getting this conversation started. :slight_smile: It’s very much needed.

7 Likes

I was closely rereading the website and believe that the last few words of this statement should be incorporated in some way - “…for community initiatives that drive culture forward into the metaverse.”

“APE is a token made to support what’s next, controlled and built on by the community. It will serve as a decentralized protocol layer for community-led initiatives that drive culture forward into the metaverse.”

5 Likes

Thanks Amplify - love getting some of the more specific narratives surfaced to help further shape the conversation. Excited for what we can achieve with true community alignment!

5 Likes

This is hugely informative and unfortunately feels very familiar with the situation we find ourselves in here. Thankfully if we can surface the issue we can make the changes necessary to course correct. We’re still early, but not for that much longer …

4 Likes

Very much love focusing in on the fact that this is a community effort, good stuff!

5 Likes

Very interesting case study - BanklessDAO… “Arguably this has already happened to ApeCoin as well”. - another case study.

IMO, ApeCoin DAO needs arguably form a leadership team, and other working groups, besides the excellent ApeComm group. ApeCoin have the funding capabilities to accomplish these tasks without an issue.

Let’s say now ApeCoin community have elected the 3 smartest, most capable, and most popular persons for SC, can they be assigned a task to form these working groups? Or simply to say “It is not their job and period!”

Who ( which team) should be task to define these first three statements:

1. ApeCoin Vision
  2. Mission Statement
  3. Goals

The ApeCoin Foundation to define these?
The Cartan Group ? (Not my understanding)
The ApeCoin community? (Who are in the leaderboards, 3 elected SC? I don’t know.

We all see things in this world differently, pretty much based on one’s life journey and experience they have gone through. Maybe we can argue and debate, a person with a resume graduated from Harvard is definitely smarter than Berkeley.

I bet, only few of out of 44 SC candidates will stay actively in this ApeCoin forum after SC election, and move on to do something else with their times. Maybe ApeCoin DAO should have a career web page regarding opening positions.

4 Likes

A great thread that should stay open for longer than 5 days. If we are going to create work groups it will be an iterative process that needs to be discussed over time. I hope this thread can remain open.

7 Likes

Alignment is the key to making this all work. So the action items need to come from the all the key stakeholders.

Working on a plan to make this happen beginning with gathering feedback, followed by organized workshop(s) to distill down to the essence. Will submit as forthcoming AIP

1 Like

Thanks Brooklyn, will be moving this to the AIP Draft phase soon as there appears to be appetite to proceed - will give us a chance to add specifics on execution

2 Likes

Thank you so much for putting this AIP forward! I very much agree that we need stakeholder alignment and a mission statement. Gathering consensus on a vision is key before the DAO can truly move forward.

I think we now find ourselves with a unique opportunity to further decentralize the DAO faster than we would have done originally. We’re seeing in real time the risks that single points of failure pose. Since it looks like Cartan will not be submitting another AIP if theirs does not pass, it is more important than ever for the stakeholders to build relationships with each other in order to move the DAO forward. A common purpose and consensus will be crucial in order to do things like form the working groups that will be needed to replace Cartan as well. Having a common mission statement/vision would be a great foundation upon which to build.

It’s so encouraging to see how everyone, in the insightful and productive Twitter Space last night hosted by @herb, came together when faced with a potential crisis and left with an optimistic attitude. (link below so others don’t have to search for it)

Do you see the current situation with Cartan affecting your timeline and where the workshops will be held? We have to align pretty quicky now in order to figure out how to take over Cartan’s responsibilities.

When thinking about getting people to attend, it’s very difficult to get most people to break out of their day to day routine to do something different unless it’s fun and exciting. What are your thoughts on some sort of reward for attending, maybe something like a POAP? Or for future workshops, maybe working with @thrivegiraffe and Thank Ape to reward contributions if the AIP gets approved?

There’s also some incredible women running for Special Council, @veratheape, @Novocrypto, @Ms_NFTy @TheFatherOfAllStorms, and @jmart, who have some brilliant ideas. I’d love for them to be involved in this regardless of the results of the elections. They bring so much to the table and it would be disappointing if the input for this was mostly men.

Thanks for all your hard work in making sure the DAO is moving forward! Please let me know what I can do to help. The ApeComms team is ready to help out as well!

8 Likes

The ApeComm team is a great sample working group! IMO, the ApeCoin DAO needs to form more working groups below listed in order to prevent future crises. So there will be no single point of fail even if someone, in this case Cartan Group, is going to pull the plug if the ApeCoin DAO disagrees the increase.

working groups suggestion:

1. Leadership ( 3 elected SC)

2. Accounting / Finance ( CPAs high priority)

3. Marketing (not that urgent)

4. Operations ( high priority)

5. ApeComm ( Todd/Halina/Amplify/etc)

• Managing Social Media / Twitter etc
    • Arranging Conference / Managing PR
  6. DAO Law (lawyer professional)

5 Likes

Hi AA,

The potential for a crisis this weekend required an all hands on deck approach and I was happy to be able to contribute. Once we’ve got some clarity on a path forward in case AIP-183 fails to pass then I’ll be right back at this. So it might shift things a week or two, but won’t have any material impact as it’s going to take some time to build consensus around mission statement. Workshop location(s) are still TBD so no change there.

Very much like the POAP idea, it can become the, “I was in the room when …” for the rebirth of the DAO. In general the goal is to construct a plan that gathers feedback from every stakeholder who has a vision for the future of the DAO.

Agree, some amazing women in the mix! Participation in this won’t be limited by the results of the elections, it’s an independent process.

Thank you, appreciate you!

3 Likes

Hi Ken,

The AIP-183 situation has been an eye-opener for all of us that we need to put some time into building capabilities and structure within the DAO.

@Amplify has done a bunch of work iterating through WG structures that I expect to see brought to AIP here pretty soon – I see you interacting on this thread

Which is absolutely the right place to get involved. Thank you

6 Likes

Thank you for putting forth this idea. The DAO is a bit disorganized and scrambling at the moment. Further defining things like a mission statement and goals will help act as a “Northstar” in a sense to keep us aligned and headed in a general direction together (as we become more decentralized).

5 Likes

Love this idea and appreciate your efforts @badteeth. Not sure if a brand exploration would be part of your workshops you mentioned but i’d like to suggest it be part of this process. It will help us personify the brand, give it direction and find our tone of voice. Happy to assist on this.

7 Likes

Love your work and appreciate all you are doing to push the DAO forward @12GAUGE. The DAO would be lucky to have you involved on a higher level imo. Especially since “Brand Decision” is one of the subcategories of AIPs.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more – and very interesting to consider that centralization of purpose can actually foster decentralization of operations. Thank you Vulkan!

2 Likes

Thank you 12G – Going through a branding process would be a strong follow up to the definition of our mission statement. Thanks for bringing this up and would absolutely appreciate your help!

4 Likes

love this. alignment is key.

2 Likes