AIP-256: ApeCoin DAO Mission Statement

Illustration by @Brazy

Original Proposal

AIP-191: ApeCoin DAO Mission Statement Workshop

Reason for Return

I never received a clear answer on why the previous proposal was, “at odds with the well-being of the Foundation,” but below is what was posted on Discourse by the previous Administrator.

Hello everyone,

After review, this Topic submitted by @badteeth has been deemed to Return for Reconstruction. In doing so, the Special Council cited that a mission statement can be crafted to appropriately serve the purposes of WG0. However, the proposal, as it is written, is at odds with the well-being of the Foundation. The Topic may be resubmitted and upon approval, will be open for 7 days for community discussions.

This Topic will be moved to and remain in the Withdrawn AIPs category. The author may resubmit their proposal if they wish.

Best,

-mallard

Resubmission Updates

This AIP empowers the DAO to vote on a final mission statement from 8 different community submitted and selected options. I simplified the proposal removing the Smithsonian Workshop facilitation and have updated the process to include feedback received during the months we spent workshopping the mission statement in WG0.

Abstract

A good mission statement should clearly define the purpose and goals of an organization, providing a sense of direction and helping to unify the members of the organization around a common set of objectives.

This AIP will engage our community to complete the months of work the DAO spent workshopping a mission statement in WG0 and on Twitter Spaces. We will finalize a mission statement that will serve as a northstar for the DAO.

Author Description

Name: Badteeth | Josh Friedberg
Life-long skateboarder. Three decades building at the intersection of art, sport, and technology. Down the NFT rabbit hole in January 2021. Minted apes. Full-time Web3 since May 2022. Co-founder of THE 288 https://twitter.com/288gang and Rara Avis https://twitter.com/raraavisapp. Lead-author AIP-196, served as elected ApeCoin DAO WG0 Steward.

Motivation

With the talent, brainpower, and treasury available to our ecosystem, there is literally no limit to what ApeCoin DAO can accomplish if we can align around a common purpose. This common purpose, defined by our mission statement will:

• Streamline the AIP process by creating clarity for contributors around what the DAO is looking to accomplish
  • Attract creators and developers in the space aligned with our mission
  • Actively reinforce our founder’s vision to position APE as a token that, “will serve as a decentralized protocol layer for community-led initiatives that drive culture forward into the metaverse.”
  • Clarify what exactly it is ApeCoin DAO exists to do
Rationale

It’s tough to align with a mission when we have yet to define a mission – but defining our mission is exactly what this AIP aims to do. This process has been one of persistence, one of our five guiding values.

Key Terms

Mission Statement: A good mission statement should clearly define the purpose and goals of an organization, providing a sense of direction and helping to unify the members of the organization around a common set of objectives.

Vision Statement: Mission statements are rooted in the moment. Vision statements, on the other hand, look to the future. These statements focus on what the company aspires to be once it achieves its mission. The vision statement as presented on apecoin.com is:

“Culture has found new expression in web3 through art, gaming, entertainment, and events. The possibilities for blockchain’s impact on culture are so endless that they can’t possibly all be predicted yet. APE is a token made to support what’s next, controlled and built on by the community. It will serve as a decentralized protocol layer for community-led initiatives that drive culture forward into the metaverse.”

Guiding Values: The ApeCoin guiding values as presented in AIP-1 are:

• Boldness: We don’t shy away from the weird, the hard, or the new.
  • Equality: One APE equals one APE.
  • Transparency: Processes and decisions are shared openly with the community.
  • Collective Responsibility: We leave everything better than we found it.
  • Persistence: Success is an ouroboros, not a straight line.
Specifications
  • @ApeCoin Twitter
  • WG0 Discord
  • Google Forms
Steps to Implement
  • Schedule three mission statement workshops over three weeks open to all DAO members in order to finalize the mission statement
    • Workshop 1 - @apecoin Twitter Space - review process thus far, review survey info, call for mission statement submissions* from community to be submitted in a Discourse General Post
    • Workshop 2 - WG0 Discord - review submissions and narrow down to top 8 options through a week of emoji voting. We’ll chose different reactions for each submission and as is typical in most Discord polls and those with the most reactions will win. Since the WG0 Discord is token-gated with a 1 $APE requirement I don’t believe we’ll have a bot issue.
    • Workshop 3 - @apecoin Twitter Space - announce 8 finalists and have them share their mission statement prior to sending to DAO-wide vote in which voters will select their preferred mission statement
  • Socialize the mission statement finalists including native-speaker translations in Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish, French – both written and on video where possible. To further increase accessibility we will include as many native speaker translations into as many languages as possible.
  • Send the Mission Statements finalists to DAO-wide vote for approval and finalize the ApeCoin DAO Mission Statement based on the results of said vote. As an approved part of this AIP, this vote will go up in a format similar to the final phase of the Special Council elections where voters will have the opportunity to vote for one option out of the 8 finalists or choose, “none of the above.”

*Mission statement submissions must represent the vision and guiding values of the Ape Foundation. As with everything else in the DAO, the mission statement will be subject to the AIP process and can be changed at any time after the first three months following initial approval by the DAO.

Timeline
  • Three consecutive weeks of workshops as outlined in the Steps to Implement section will be scheduled within one week of this AIP passing
  • On the week following the last workshop, the mission statement finalists will go up for a DAO-wide vote
  • Upon selection of a mission statement by DAO voters, the Ape Foundation, Governance Working Group, or other responsible parties will:
    • Update the apecoin.com website to include the mission statement on the “About” and “Governance” pages
    • Update the Snapshot profile to include the mission statement
    • Add the mission statement under “Motivation” in AIP-1
    • Add the mission statement where relevant on the WG0 Discord and Discourse
    • Add the mission statement to all ApeCoin DAO social media accounts
    • Promote the new mission statement with a post on all social media accounts

Overall Cost

1 $APE

19 Likes

Excited to see what the community submits. More excited to have a mission for this amazing community to work towards!

Really appreciate all your work on this @badteeth :raised_hands:t2:

8 Likes

Reserved for changelog.

20230518 Updates based on community feedback:

In Steps to Implement I added specificity around Discord emoji voting process:

• Workshop 2 - WG0 Discord - review submissions and narrow down to top 8 options through a week of emoji voting. We’ll chose different reactions for each submission and as is typical in most Discord polls and those with the most reactions will win. Since the WG0 Discord is token-gated with a 1 $APE requirement I don’t believe we’ll have a bot issue.

We will strive to translate the 8 mission statement finalists into as many languages as possible, but at a minimum the five mentioned, which are the 5 most commonly spoken world languages.

• Socialize the mission statement finalists including native-speaker translations in Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish, French – both written and on video where possible. To further increase accessibility we will include as many native speaker translations into as many languages as possible.

Added a, “none of the above” option to the final voting process.

• Send the Mission Statements finalists to DAO-wide vote for approval and finalize the ApeCoin DAO Mission Statement based on the results of said vote. As an approved part of this AIP, this vote will go up in a format similar to the final phase of the Special Council elections where voters will have the opportunity to vote for one option out of the 8 finalists or choose, “none of the above.”
2 Likes

Thanks @BojangleGuy, excited to see this thing through and get on with the fun stuff!

3 Likes

Hi @badteeth,

I’ve read your AIPs and it sounds quite interesting (I think the new construction is more web3 native than the previous with Lemelson Center).
Clarifying the mission of a DAO is always important to ensure that all members of the community are working towards the same goals. I have a couple of questions regarding your proposal:

1. How will the eight mission statement options be selected for the final DAO vote? If we using emoji vote on discord, people can vote to different options, as well people can use bots to vote base reactions.
  2. You mentioned that the mission statement will serve as a northstar for the DAO. How will the mission statement be used to guide decision-making and goal-setting within the DAO?
  3. You mentioned that the final mission statement will be translated into Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish, and French. Can you explain the rationale behind choosing these specific languages? Will there be other languages added in the future?

@Brazy I really liked the personality you put on the art with the skate :fire: gg :space_invader:

-Mr. Hype :fire:

7 Likes

It’s at odds why? Without the why, this reply to you is entirely useless (if not condescending). As we mature as DAO, we should add oversight for these things, too. No proposal should be rejected without a concrete, clear reason.

As far as mission statement - I look forward to those discussions! I hope we all can come up with something brief and powerful.

5 Likes

Hi @MisterHype,

Thanks for the feedback, some answers below.

We’ll chose different reactions for each submission and as is typical in most Discord polls and those with the most reactions will win. Since the WG0 Discord is token-gated with a 1 $APE requirement I don’t believe we’ll have a bot issue. Please lmk if you believe there is a better way to do this that doesn’t require a technical investment.

The mission statement will become a useful guide for decision-making where necessary e.g. providing context for questions like, “Does this AIP support the mission of the DAO?”

For example in the current AIP template under Rationale it asks specifically for, “An explanation of how the proposal aligns with the APE Community’s mission and guiding values.”

Without a specific mission there is much less clarity on how decisions are made and how those decisions impact the overall goals of the DAO.

Per a quick Google search these are the top 5 languages spoken in the world:
English – 1,121 million speakers
Mandarin Chinese – 1,107 million speakers
Hindi – 698 million speakers
Spanish – 512 million speakers
French – 284 million speakers

We translated the mission statement surveys into these languages, but if we have native language speakers that are willing to translate for us I’m happy to include as many languages as possible.

Hope that answers your questions, thank you,

BT

4 Likes

An unfortunate challenge we face in a DAO environment sometimes.

Here’s the doc that recaps the process thus far: ApeCoin DAO Mission Statement - Google Docs

Looking forward to seeing what comes about in the process! Thanks @Sasha,

BT

2 Likes

Does this mean there’s an opportunity to get rid of the word “today” from the previous mission statement? :wink:

TBH, I had no idea the original mission statement didn’t go through. This AIP caught me be surprise. This should be established asap.

I’m happy to see there is no twitter poll that’s part of the implementation process.

9 Likes

Excited for us to have an action-inspiring mission statement that gives clear direction to the DAO!! Thanks for taking the lead on this Badteeth, and am so excited to see this proposal from the AIP Idea-a-thon come to life!!!

Also want to emphasize how sorely a clear mission statement is needed- every time I talk to builders, whether at hackathons like ETH SF, or the Miami Web 3 conference in Art Basel, people always ask “What type of proposals are you looking for?”. And when there’s no clear answer to that, it lessens proposal authors’ confidence in showing up & taking the time to build with our ecosystem.

An inspiring mission statement with clear direction would represent a huge inflection point in our ability to attract, keep, and grow with builders for the ApeCoin ecosystem.

-Halina.eth :cherry_blossom:

9 Likes

Haha, today.

We decided not to include it in AIP-239 to avoid muddying the waters, but onwards we go!

Thanks NANA!

BT

2 Likes

Love to hear the real world implications of the missing mission and very excited to see the DAO put an end to this soon. Thank you Halina!

BT

3 Likes

Ok man, this is a really great idea. Think it will help a lot to grow the community, thanks @badteeth !

3 Likes

100% agreed with @Halina.eth.

I had similar feedback from communities I’m involved with. A strong mission statement brings clarity around how and why to work with us.

And that’s in addition to the internal benefits. From a marketing standpoint alone it would be tremendously empowering, making it easier to define the strategy, set priorities… focus => creative freedom.

Maybe the difficulty in getting it agreed, is another signal of its value?

Well done for persevering, @badteeth! :blue_heart:

7 Likes

APE is a token made to support what’s next, controlled and built on by the community. It will serve as a decentralized protocol layer for community-led initiatives that drive culture forward into the metaverse.

10 Likes

Love the vision our founders have laid out for us, but imo the mission needs to be a little more specific.

How will we do these things? Appreciate your input @capetaintrippy!

BT

3 Likes

Thank you @jvgod and welcome, great to have you here!

BT

1 Like

The feedback we had from virtually every DAO we spoke with was the same, they all wished they started with a clear mission.

Excited to realize this catalyst for our growth soon. Thanks for the feedback and support @Adz!

BT

3 Likes

Hey @badteeth,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

As you mentioned, I agree that the token gating in WG0 Discord should minimize the potential for bot issues, but I suggest considering a few more things:

1. If the vote is based on individual members and not token held, each Discord member should only be able to vote for one emoji from the different options. You can check Dyno or invite tracker bots for help, and feel free to reach out to me if you need further assistance.

2. If the vote is based on coin held (like DAO voting settings), why not create a snapshot for it? If the process is too complex and inefficient, we can include in the AIP a request for permission to create an outside snapshot with the proposed template. On the vote event, we will do it on the snapshot.

Regarding the role of the mission statement in guiding decision-making and goal-setting within the DAO, I agree that having a clear mission statement is essential for creating alignment among members and ensuring that proposals and decisions align with the community’s goals and values. We discuss on WG0 about it, and I agree that we should focus on the DAO’s guidelines and highlight values such as innovation, creativity, inclusivity, education, and positive social impact. Let’s see how it goes, but make sure the voting process is focused on the DAO. Perhaps it’s time to consider a one-time ‘whale-off’ voting system where each wallet has one vote since the vote is not ‘in favor/against,’ but more on what each person cares about. As we emphasize on our homepage, “all equal 1 APE = 1 APE,” so the guidelines maybe need to be voted like that.

Lastly, while it’s great to see that the final mission statement will be translated into other languages, we need to discuss strategy beyond where to play but also how to win. As a DAO, we need to consider where we want to play and make sure we can win there. If we’re just playing to play, it won’t be worth the time and effort. Although these are the top five languages spoken in the world, we need to evaluate - do we have the capabilities and systems to actually win in those markets?

Thank you for your contributions to the APE community, and I look forward to seeing the final mission statement!

-Mr. Hype :fire:

2 Likes

Love that you’re continuing with this @badteeth! Agree with @Halina.eth and @Adz. It’s amazing that we’ve gotten this far without a mission statement and can’t wait to see what we do with one! You’re persistence is very admirable.

I do have a couple comments/questions:

I really like that people will have options to submit their own, will the one that was crafted through the workshops and surveys be included among them?

Would there be an option for the community to reject all of them or abstain?

Really excited to see this again, today. Thanks for all your hard work!

8 Likes