AIP-241: Apebook - Self-Custody Seed Phrase Notebook

Proposal Name: Apebook - Self-Custody Seed Phrase Notebook

Proposal Category: Ecosystem Fund Allocation

:page_with_curl: Abstract:

This proposal emphasizes the importance of self-custody and keeping $APE wallet back-ups safe by offering Exclusive Apebook Seed Phrase Notebooks :open_book: to DAO member participants. Since APE coin is primarily held in self-custodial wallets, securely storing wallet seed phrases is essential to minimize risks like hacks, loss, or theft. My proposal seeks funding to manufacture 1,500 Apebooks or more as needed (Added Cost below) while incorporating our patent-pending design from the Shieldfolio Stonebook. Crucially, this initiative strengthens long-term voting participation, empowering members to manage their $APE safely to make informed decisions that positively impact the future of the Apecoin Dao.

Apebook Seed Phrase Stonebook

(Trezor and Laptop not included) Apebook notebook only

:man_technologist:t2: Author:

Hi, Iā€™m Stonie, (Freddy Hernandez), the founder of Shieldfolio Inc. and a proud member of the BAYC/MAYC :test_tube: Community. I create innovative self-custody products to protect digital assets from hackers, loss, and theft. I started this company after my wife accidentally threw away my seed phrase. Losing my crypto was brutal, and yes, my wife and I are still together. This experience has really driven home the importance of safely backing up wallets for me, and I want to make sure others donā€™t have to go through the same ordeal. Since 2019, Iā€™ve helped thousands of crypto enthusiasts back up their wallets securely and safely offline. My flagship product, the ā€œStonebookā€ (patent Pending), is a Durable Hackproof notebook thatā€™s an all-in-one organized security tool for writing down essential crypto information kept 100% Offline.

:woman_technologist:t2::office_worker:t2::man_technologist:t2: Team Description:

Our small team includes an operations manager who takes care of our Amazon and Walmart online stores, A logistics packaging and shipment contracted group, and our legal team for help with our current patent pending products. As the owner of Shieldfolio, I am also heavily involved in the day-to-day business management, overseeing around 90% of the daily operations.

:1st_place_medal: Motivation:

I believe each member of the DAO can benefit from having the peace of mind that their wallet keys are backed up safely and securely with the Apebook Seed phrase notebook. The unfortunate reality is that many crypto users have lost wallet access in the past due to the lack of importance or experience when it comes to backing up their recovery phrases. The APE Community should implement this proposal because it helps solve a big problem many people face in the crypto world: keeping wallet seed phrases safe. Doing this would help the APE Community grow and stay strong in the long run. Members would be better at managing their digital assets, participating in voting, and making smart decisions that help everyone in the community.

Here is my Stonebook story broadcasted on the KTLA 5 News channel

Outeredge NFTLA 2023 - KTLA 5 News - Shieldfolio Stonebook interview

:exclamation:Rationale:

One of the top priorities for the APE Community is to encourage active DAO members who can regularly use their APE coins to participate in voting. Thatā€™s why having a physical notebook for safely storing seed phrases is crucial. It helps ensure that members remain actively involved, contributing to the communityā€™s growth and participating in group decision-making.

:open_book: Notebook Specifications:

• Unhackable & 100% Offline Notebook
  • Back-up 50+ crypto wallets
  • 80 durable waterproof pages (Safe from floods and most chemical spills)
  • Labeled sections for organizing Recovery phrases, Private keys, and Login information
  • Pocket size to hide in discreet locations
  • High-quality material allows the notebook to last a lifetime
  • Dimensions: 3.5" x 5.5" inch Stone paper notebook

Apebook Page Layout

Video of the Original Stonebook, which applies to the Apebook

(Shieldfolio Stonebook || Water-Resistant Notebook for storing Crypto - YouTube)

More information about our Stonebook at Shieldfolio.com

:one:, :two:, :three:ā€¦ Steps to Implement:

1. The first step is finalizing the product design of the Apebook and material specs. Engage a product designer, if necessary, and allocate funds for their services.

2. Reach out to our trusted supplier for the material supply timeframe for production.

3. Produce a prototype with the current manufacturer to ensure needed design revisions.

4. Testing will be done for durability, usability, and quality approval.

5. Once my final design is approved, I can produce 1,500 notebooks or more, depending on how many active participants are involved in the DAO.

6. Create Product packaging, insert cards, and order shipping materials.

7. Establish a distribution plan for the notebooks to reach active DAO participants. This may involve coordinating with DAO leadership and setting up a token-gated option on our current site to facilitate accurate distribution.

8. Allow Free shipping to US addresses and discounted shipping rates for international shipments (Custom and duties fees may apply to receivers outside the US)

9. Ensure a successful rollout of the Apecoin notebook until all units are expended while gathering feedback and considerations for future self-custody products that can keep benefiting the Apecoin Dao ecosystem.

:timer_clock: Timeline:

1. Start Date: As soon as AIP is approved and Funded
  2. Milestones:
  • Product Design: 1 week process
  • Prototype: 2 weeks
  • Product testing: 3 days
  • Production Print: 6 week production
  • Apecoin notebook distribution: 7 day process
  • Customer Support evaluation: Ongoing starting from the ship date
  1. Completion Rollout: Ensure members secure their Notebooks
  • Estimated 2.5-month process from the start date.

:moneybag: Overall Cost:

This section proposes a budget for the development, printing, production, and shipping of 1,500 Apebooks, which amounts to $47,200 USD in APE

5 Likes

Congrats Stonie on getting your proposal drafted and published.

Personally, love the idea. Itā€™ll be interesting to see the feedback you get here and if/when this goes up for vote.

Consider clarifying the ask ā€“ is it 11,450 USD in APE or 11,450 APE ā€“ you kinda have to state both numbers to make it totally clear (Apes donā€™t read :laughing:).

Congrats once again.

Onward
SSPāœŠšŸ½

4 Likes

Hey Ssp, I appreciate the feedback :+1:. and thank you for the price tip.

I just submitted the USD change for better cost accuracy.

Iā€™m also excited to see responses from the Dao members about this essential tool since $APE is mostly held in self-custodial wallets when voting.

Thanks, Ssp.

1 Like

Iā€™m personally not a of what I see so far and here are a few examples as to why.

• This appears as a paper notebook. The possibility exists that seed numbers could become unreadable based on spills, fires amongst other things.
  • itā€™ll be easily identifiable of what the info is if found.
  • Theft is still an issue.
3 Likes

Hey Stance, here is a breakdown

• Yes, this is a paper notebook but not your typical one, as this notebook is constructed to last a lifetime. This one is made from stone paper (80% rock and 20% resin). This allows the pages to become waterproof in case of floods, and it also has chemical spill-resistant pages (most chemicals). As for fire, I recommend placing the book in a fireproof safe as it is not fireproof.

• Because of its pocket size and material construction, the Apebook can easily fold into discreetly hidden locations. Also, since the book is made from natural stone, insects cannot eat it, the pages donā€™t turn yellow, and the paper is mold resistant. This is why the Apebook can be buried underground in emergencies, completely undetectable from metal detection.

• I always recommend a backup notebook in separate safe, locked locations if possible.

hope this answers your questions, and thank you for your input Stance :+1:

5 Likes

Hi @Stonie,

Your topic will be moving to the AIP Draft phase in less than 24 hours. Are you content with the feedback received or do you wish to extend community discussion for another 7 days?

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours after your topic closes, your topic will be moved straight to the AIP Draft process.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Vulkan

1 Like

Hey there @Stonie, thanks for putting this idea together for the group.

While Iā€™m 100% in favor of wallet security above all else, and continually emphasize the importance of properly documenting, protecting and storing oneā€™s seed phrase(s), Iā€™m not particularly fond of funding an idea like this, for a couple of reasons.

First, this might be an awesome companion to a larger project that involves providing hardware wallets to those without them, with this sweet notebook as the means of securing the phrase to your new cold storage device. However, those who own a hardware wallet already have their phrases documented elsewhere. I know mine are spread out over several cities at the moment, so this isnā€™t exactly a value-add for folks like me who already have their assets well-secured.

Second, its appearance kind of makes it stand out, which for me is the opposite of what I want a discreet self-custody notebook to be. Iā€™ve heard of some pasting their seed phrase into the middle of a tax notebook or something a potential thief would never want to look into. This, if spotted, is something that almost begs to be opened and perused. It DOES look really cool, and I love the ApeCoin logo designā€¦ but itā€™s not something Iā€™d want to call anyoneā€™s attention to.

Like I said, I appreciate security and educating people on how to secure their assets is paramount. However, I would prefer to see this, if anything, offered to new users who are just receiving their first hardware wallet as a fun means of storing that first seed phrase. If we could package this as part of a larger ā€œwallet security educational initiativeā€ youā€™d have my full support.

Thanks again for joining our DAO, and for taking the time to put this proposal together.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Stonie,

Thank you for your ideas [and the ApeCoin DAO community for the thoughtful discussions]. A moderator will get in touch with the author to draft the AIP in the appropriate template. Once the AIP is drafted and meets all the DAO-approved guidelines, the proposal will be posted on Snapshot for live official voting at: Snapshot

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments. @Stonie please see your messages for the next steps.

-Vulkan

Hi ApeCoin DAO Community,

@Stonie has completed editing their AIP Idea to be their AIP Draft.

Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan

1 Like

I liked reading the specifications of the notebook, and seeing details on how the paper is more durable.
But my main concern is the bright cover for something that is supposed to probably be more discreet since it holds important information inside.

Bc if the wrong person visits your house and finds it you will get rekt bc of all that it contains :sweat_smile:

My suggestion on the design would be a more plain outer cover, and maybe the interior of the cover page can have something more fun and on brand for apecoin^^

good luck on your proposal :blush:

6 Likes

Yes! Always yes to security!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback :+1: and the idea of having a bundle set with a Hardware wallet. Iā€™m definitely open to this if I can get a collaboration with a HW company in the future.

Glad you liked the Durability and construction of the Apebook. As for the design, I appreciate the feedback on the plain outer cover and the on-brand design.

Thank you for your suggestions Sera :+1:

1 Like

Yes, Self custody is key :key:

1 Like

Our team has reviewed and discussed @Stonieā€™s AIP Draft and have sent a list of initial questions. We await answers.

Kind Regards,

Vulkan

2 Likes

@Stonie has responded to our questions and has provided consent to share them in this forum for the community.

Questions (click to expand)
  1. Are there any potential legal or regulatory risks associated with the activities of this AIP?

We donā€™t foresee any legal or regulatory risks associated with our proposal since we have patent pending designs applied in this Apebook. We plan only to use the Apecoin logo for this specific product drop.

1. What are the Objectives and Key Results which have been identified for your project?

The objective is to help Apecoin Dao members secure their wallet seed phrases safely offline while strengthening long-term voting participation. Additionally, we aim to provide a branded notebook that will last a lifetime and can serve as a trust will to properly keep crypto asset information safe and allow the continuation of future generations to participate in DAO voting.

1. Please elaborate on the teamsā€™ expectations for the future.

Our team plans to continue making self-custody products and offer them to the Apecoin DAO in the future. We are always open to other security tool suggestions.

1. Is the Ape Foundation expected to engage in any of the steps of the AIP implementation? If so, please specify the step and elaborate how it is expected to work.

We have already reached out to other approved proposals for distribution counts, but getting recent claim/drop data from the Apecoin DAO core team would be helpful.

1. Have you or your team identified any additional financial, operational, or brand risks associated with this AIP?

We at Shieldfolio Inc own all copyright and trademarks regarding the Original Stonebook, along with patent pending designs, so we donā€™t see any financial, operational, or brand risks associated with this AIP.

1. Your ā€œSteps to Implementā€ section mentions a token-gated option. Can you share more details on which tools you have in mind for this?

We plan to implement token gating on our Shopify site, and may also consider using other third-party solutions like Delegate Cash or Warm Wallet. Weā€™re open to other ideas as well for proper distribution while the Apebooks are in print production.

1. How will you determine the number of notebooks you need to produce?

We estimate we need 1,500 Apebooks from talks with other merch drops from previous proposals. We were always open to producing more if needed at a fixed price each.

1. Are there any requirements for those who wish to obtain a notebook?

To obtain an Apebook, members must be a participant in the Apecoin DAO voting on the Snapshot page. Minimum 1 Vote to claim an Apebook.

1. Will there be any costs to individuals who wish to obtain a notebook?

The Apebook is free when members meet the requirements, and thereā€™s no shipping cost for shipments within the United States. However, there will be shipping costs along with Taxes and duties cost for any Apebooks shipped outside of the United States.

1. Do you provide consent to share these questions with the community in this forum?

Yes, we give our consent to share these questions with the community.

A DAR package is being worked on and upon completion this AIP will move into Administrative Review. Follow this Topic as further updates will be posted here in the comments.

Kind Regards,

Vulkan

2 Likes

Our team has sent a list of follow-up questions and await answers.

Kind Regards,

Vulkan

1 Like

@Stonie has responded to our questions and they are in our review once again.

Kind Regards,

-Vulkan