AIP-253: Bored Gaming

Hi mate,

Seems really impressive and well laid out. Excited to see this get approved and marching forward.

I do have one question, in the unlikely even that no sponsorship deals are forthcoming, channels don’t generate desired revenues etc etc would that mean there’ll be ongoing expenses every 8 months? No issue, just would like to know if you have a plan in place is all, and if worst comes to the worst, what would the ‘upkeep’ costs be ‘our’ end, and would they be every 8 months?

Great stuff, looks amazing.

3 Likes
  1. Team Bored will raise awareness of ApeCoin with gaming enthusiasts as many of them start to explore web3 gaming. We are part of both web2 gaming and crypto. We are well aware of the attitude toward NFTs in some web2 gaming communities and why they happened. We also know many of them will slowly start to open their minds to the possibilities. We’ve recently seen that demonstrated with Dookey Dash. The content will be primarily web3 gaming but with some traditional games thrown in. The audience is both nft enthusiasts curious about gaming, and web2 gamers curious about nfts and web3 gaming.
  2. Our target will be web3 games primarily, especially ones with a skills based competitive component as that is where we can leverage the skills of our team members to rise to the top of score boards with ease. We already watched it happen in DookeyDash, DuskBreakers, and others. We are talking to various founders right now to determine our first key focus games and metaverses besides the obvious ones. We will enter web3 based tournaments for some traditional games like Fortnite, especially as those audiences are more web3 gaming curious. We also plan to create some fun content with some of the Nouns esports teams around traditional titles just because competition is fun, and these first two teams in the space will lead the way. While our initial focus areas differ, working together will make us both stronger.
  3. We did not list the backend team here in this first pass, but you bring up a great consideration for adding it to the final proposal. I am one of them and fully doxxed so my experience is visible, as well as Chris Spikoski and Blackline with strong marketing and partnership skills and connections. We all have experience running esports orgs, teams, nonprofits, events as well as acquiring sponsorships, building partnerships, and running marketing activations. Even a few NFT projects. Many of our team members will also step up here in dual roles of content creation and biz dev including Demi, Sceptic, Orangie, and Cotal. The creators were chosen based on their multi talents of content creation, exceptional gaming skills, and proven business development success. All efforts will be all hands on deck to ensure success. No one gets to slack. We know what it takes to ensure success.
5 Likes

what would also be good is if you get all the people you mention in the proposal to jump in here and just add some bullish messages and pledges maybe. So we can gauge their levels of enthusiasm, as well as ask questions. LFG

3 Likes

We just hosted a twitter spaces as an introduction to the team. (Its my pinned tweet) Were all super stoked to finally see an idea come to reality, and were here to disrupt the web3 gaming scene! Appreciate the support!

-Demi

3 Likes

Got it thanks - will have a listen shortly.

I think what would be great is to get Orangie and the other well-known team members to interact a bit in here (discourse). Would undoubtedly get us all fired up.

Also any chance can pass comment on my first question, a few comments up. tysm

I love the idea of an eSports team powered by ApeCoin. Look forward to this idea shaping up. Would like to see ApeCoin representation in the gaming industry and competitive esports.

5 Likes

apologies @furiousanger I missed this question. Sponsorships take time, and this proposal is a first phase. It has been suggested we extend phase 1 to one year to give more time to hit those partnering milestones. We have taken that under consideration for the final proposal. We do anticipate that each phase of Team Bored will be reviewed with the DAO and put to a vote. Ultimately the DAO will need to decide after the first phase how beneficial the project really is to spreading awareness and capturing hearts and minds and use their vote to decide the next phase. It will be our job to ensure it is beneficial and we have a solid next steps plan based on results and opportunity. With additional revenue streams, some areas would become self sustaining, but we will also have options to go bigger and expand to other areas - like tournaments, sponsoring additional comp teams or creators.

2 Likes

Hi Team Bored,

Looks like we have conflicting proposals :slight_smile:

We’d like to offer you guys the opportunity for a fun, friendly competition. Where we go head to head, presenting and discussing our visions, and objectives against one another live in a Twitter space alongside the ApeCoin community.

ApeCoin ESports (ACE) VS Team Bored ESports (TBE)

The ApeCoin community will then vote (via AIP or other) which proposal they believe will provide more value to the DAO, and once the vote is complete. The winning team will be able to bring their AIP up to vote, and the loser will have to withdraw their proposal.

We extend this offer for 24 hours, if we haven’t received a response we will assume you decline.

5 Likes

Thanks for the support and the vote of confidence :blue_heart:

1 Like

Appreciate the support!

ApeCoin representation in not only competitive esports, but gaming and content creation as a whole, will provide a ton of value and awareness.

1 Like

ACE, thank you for the offer to help promote your flawed idea, but we just don’t see value for the DAO in your proposal. First, you failed the esports litmus test of even deserving a response not once but twice in your proposal with “ESports” and “E-Sports”. (non gamers, it is esports and a reliable barometer of knowledge and intention.) Second, one of our team members, Orangie, had a similar $1.5M proposal as yours with much more web2/web3 gaming biz experienced folks like Hantao and Aelolus, but he withdrew it to join our mission when they realized we had the better early game plan to drive awareness in a cost effective manner. Third, no. We are busy building. You are welcome to join any of our spaces to learn more and discuss.

5 Likes

Appreciate the thorough response Shae.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response Shae. Sorry to hear that.

TLDR; Since Team Bored ESports has decided to decline our offer for a fair competition / debate between proposals we’ll share why this proposal fundamentally is destined for failure. We believe the ApeCoin debut into ESports should be epic, and this proposal will result in a mediocre outcome at best.

1. They declined a fair competition – This motion alone speaks volumes and goes against the ethos of web 3, decentralization and the ApeCoin DAO as a whole. Ouch. DAO’s are all about the clashing of ideas and opposing views to create initiatives that provide the most value to the ecosystem. That begs the question, why would this team deny our offer… if they truly had the best interest of the DAO at heart?

2. They failed to mention that ESport’s teams, even the top ones are all notorious failures, and provide no insight as to why their approach is better. Although they conveniently included data about how ESports is a rapidly growing industry.

What problems are being solved here? Won’t copying a model that’s a proven failure also result in this to fail as well?

1. Not to mention they have taken absolutely no initiative to innovate in any way. In a nutshell this proposal is asking to take the traditional web 2 ESports team model, slap an ApeCoin logo on it and call it a day. In what ways precisely are they leveraging Web 3 to create something exciting? They aren’t. While with our proposal for ApeCoin ESports (ACE), we are introducing multiple refreshing ideas leveraging web 3 to solve the issues in the current ESports landscape to bring more value to players than ever before.

2. There is already a BAYC themed ESports team started by Machi, this proposal is a derivative of what Machi has already done.

3. Not a single person on Team Bored ESports has any experience running a competitive ESports team.

4. This shows through their budget. $120K is what they’ve allocated for players/content creators. To get even one, SINGLE, champion level player in a game like Valorant will cost between $10K-$50K/mo to sign. This means with their budget they couldn’t even afford one top tier player. Let alone a full team + coach that is needed to win championships. ApeCoin can truly be a leader in ESports, but with this plan, will only have a slightly above average team at best.

We’re extremely passionate about this, and have been building for several months to propose something truly meaningful. I think everyone in the ApeCoin DAO knows that an ESports initiative is needed, and the opportunity is ripe for ApeCoin to have that leadership position in this market. This proposal is not the debut the DAO deserves, and with the heart and soul we put into our proposal, ApeCoin ESports, this doesn’t feel thoughtful at all in comparison.

Our team has 6 years experience building in web 3 gaming, and building BFC (Box Fighting Champion) a Fortnite based ESports league that resulted in 50K live viewers across all participants weekly. The largest Fortnite ESport’s league to run it’s course.

THIS is the excitement that the ApeCoin DAO rightfully deserves… Not Team Bored ESports. But wishing this team best of luck. While their idea is pretty poor, and lacks vision, I think the team has some hard working individuals. We are eager to observe what ideas you may draw from our competing proposal.

Sincerely,

Dante

1 Like

Thank you, can’t wait for everyone to see what we’ll do to shake up the space!

3 Likes

Interesting point on the DAO not being able to receive funds. Surely there would be an avenue to setup something of a ‘side account / wallet’ which could be used to receive funds from revenue generating investments, which could then be disbursed back into the other community initiatives.

I would also think that there needs to be a balance between initiatives which are not deemed to be ‘revenue generating’ vs. those where revenue is likely. A series of ongoing marketing and brand awareness investments, would likely results in the fund drying-up.

2 Likes

I love the idea of esports/gaming. A great way to build awareness and bring members of the community together.

That being said, an investment which may not have revenue generation in its future sights would make me somewhat nervous.

Has there been much work done (or benchmark stats identified) which could provide an indication of potential ‘future revenue’ should this initiative be funded?

Def not trying to shoot-down the idea, I actually really like it and have good memories of attending an esports event in Singapore years ago. Just think it’s worth considering and trying to understand potential revenue stream and numbers.

2 Likes

esports and revenue can’t exist in the same sentence haha. Most esports orgs are tens of millions of dollars in debt to VC’s with no signs of profit on the horizon.

3 Likes

I agree with you … to me its a source of brand awareness and keeping up with relevancy only

1 Like

I’d just like to comment on how thorough this proposal is. I don’t know too much about esports, but I do have two growing boys who are obsessed with gaming so this is fascinating to learn about. Kudos!!

3 Likes

Danlogi, thank you for the feedback. There has definitely been consideration in what will create future revenue streams as were mentioned in this proposal. Raise awareness is the first initiative, but generating revenue comes next. The key financial goal would be to make the team financially self sustaining through identified revenue streams and 3rd party sponsorships while continuing to grow. Your feedback helps us understand we need to highlight this part in the final proposal better. thanks!

2 Likes