AIP-253: Bored Gaming

Loving this idea . Bridging web2 and web3 together thru gaming has always been 1 of the forefront ideas . This proposal gets a 2 thumbs up from me as its a very informative and detailed presentation deck. The important key notes to take into consideration in sponsoring the team are listed :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

LFG!!! I got my ape coin and you know you got my vote man! I’ve been fortunate enough to be front row as this entire journey was at it’s inception. From the first time you mentioned it during alpha vibes, and the moment you officially made your intentions clear. I have been blessed with an insiders vantage point, of this inspiring process.

I may not have been in this space terribly long, and I know that my experience with such things as DAOS, crypto, or even gaming honestly is very sparse to put it lightly. However I am quite confident that I understand the overall sentiment behind web 3. I genuinely feel that my grasp of the space, despite lacking in technical awareness, is on point, and I both value and exemplify it’s general ethos to my core.

From the privileged position that I have held, with a behind the scenes look at the entire creation of this proposal, and my personal acquaintance with Demi, I have been able to see exactly how dedicated to it’s success he truly is. I have heard him discuss how he wants to positively raise awareness for the DAO, and spread knowledge of Ape Coin to a broader audience. I first learned about, Ape coin, the DAO, and anything in between from Demi. I am proud to say today I joined the ecosystem. I truly believe he and his proposal have the DAOS best interest at heart, and that he has the drive and determination to see it through.

Demi is in Web 3 every day patiently teaching those like myself, new to the space. Showing up to every space, retweeting, shouting out, highlighting, and just showing general support for anybody that is trying to build or even just positively maneuver in this space. His support has encouraged numerous individuals in various endeavours from accomplishments as simple as talking up on stage during a Twitter space to hosting spaces of their own. From noticing a new pfp, and congratulating a friend on their new nft purchase, to assisting in the purchase of an ape for a first time holder. Demi leads by example in all things. He sets the bar for invested leaders. Always making room at the front for any person to share a word or ask a question. With a thoughtful, and considerate response no matter how basic, never responding with any kind of judgement, never making the person feel embarrassed or foolish.

I have the most faith in this proposal because I have absolute faith in its creator. I have seen first hand how dedicated he has been, how much he has already invested of himself in to it. I’ve seen all the hard work he’s put in, and how much he wants to see it come to fruition. How much respect he has for the DAO, and broader community. How serious he takes the leadership role with regards to his teammates, their futures and wellbeing. He is absolutely who I bet my money on. I can’t wait to see all the amazing things that come out of this space in the near future, and more than that I’m so excited to get to be a part of it all. Looking forward to cheering on all the tournaments and activations of this team.

7 Likes

Well put together and a very fair ask. Looking forward to seeing the community get behind this.

6 Likes

Excited to see this prop!

Not much to add that hasn’t already been said, but looking forward to seeing this one come alive. Reasonable ask, well written, right team. LFG.

If we’re going to succeed long term as a community we need to support gaming initiatives with open arms, and this ticks all the boxes. Dookey was the proof of concept, the reaction from the gaming world was the proof of demand, and hopefully everyone embraces the concept of a sponsored team as proof of community.

7 Likes

This is awesome!! You can tell a lotta time and effort has been put in this proposal. Checks all the boxes. In addition, how on earth did you get this all star team of gamers?? All legends. Amazing, hope it passes. The space could really use this level of visibility and branding.

6 Likes

Esports is hard. Quality content creation is hard. As we mentioned in earlier replies, we decided to focus first on content creation with a particular focus on web3 gaming. We could have gone the way of funding traditional web2 teams or hosting large high dollar tournaments. Both are very expensive and not in our opinion the best way to gain the right hearts and minds for all the reasons you mention in your very well articulated response. We can gain more by grabbing the attention of the gamers who are getting curious about web3 gaming with content creators. So, you are correct. One of the considerations was whether it was Team Bored Esports or just Team Bored. We settled on just Team Bored for the reasons you mention, but have it listed in this idea phase as Team Bored Esports, possibly incorrectly, to be clear to non gamers that this is a gaming focused endeavor. We agree and have taken note of your opinion and will probably stick with Team Bored for the final proposal. And yes, content is king. This 8 month plan is to give us the runway to build content to seek 3rd party sponsorships and partnerships and take it to that next level. Larger tournaments are definitely in our future. We hope someday sponsorship of serious esports team competitors will be too. Ghost has been a close partner of COPE as Todd and co also have a big focus on youth and scholastic esports so share similar goals to ours. I also personally have huge respect for their focus on regionalization like OpTic and Rokkr. It is one of the many things that has to happen to change profitability of tier 1 comp esports orgs. Team Bored will not be focusing on any one specific region as you noted, it doesn’t make sense here at this stage nor is it possible with the funding ask.

6 Likes

Thanks for the support TJ! I agree as well not only a positive for ApeCoin DAO but web3 as a whole.

-Demi

2 Likes

Thanks Gerry!

Means a lot coming banner legend himself!

-Demi

3 Likes

Perfect, thanks @Shaemmon! Now that I have that answer, here are my actually-productive suggestions haha.

Team Bored Gaming, perhaps?

If you are thinking of going with gaming, if I may, I’d suggest focusing on that in the proposal, which is currently very esports-heavy:

• Mention Brycent, Josh, Yuga’s new CTO hire.
  • Mention the need for web3 game coverage by people who understand web2 games, too.
  • Provide gaming viewership, and ideally some web3 gaming viewership (from existing web3 content creators) instead of esports viewership (which isn’t accurate nor applicable/describing of the market you’ll be serving)
  • Remove all info about esports pools b/c, again, not applicable to you. 80-90% of the pools go to players anyway, not orgs. Instead show sponsorships for content creators, which is your actual target.
  • Make it clear that you’re content first, esports second (as in, the step after if it makes sense, which I’ll be frank - it almost never does, but ofc you walk whichever path you feel is right)
  • Focus on being the definitive gaming coverage in web3. So good that Brycent etc may want to come under your umbrella eventually.
  • Do casual merch instead of jerseys.
  • Reallocate events/tourney budget into content
  • Then show that when web3 games esports is around (Dead Drop, etc.), you will be prime positioned to not only potentially compete due to Orangie’s etc. experience, but be the definitive content source.

Well, you get the idea.

Just my 2 cents. I have no idea how many $APE holders know/don’t know about esports dynamics. I could be totally wrong. But I certainly wouldn’t vote for this as-is b/c esports is a terrible investment. And it has zero to do with web3 this year. However, being one of the first content teams in web3 gaming? Hot. Still hard, but far, far higher chance of success and most importantly - far more under your control. In esports, you’re always subject to publishers’ whims and many other externalities.

I hope you find it helpful and, regardless, best of luck!

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback, we will tweak what is necessary since this is only just the idea phase of the proposal.

Nouns DAO has an esports team, this is more of a marketing investment and awareness for ApeCoin and the DAO itself since the DAO cant technically receive funds. Almost all the AIPs that are passed is to raise awareness and not necessarily generate revenue.

-Demi

4 Likes

Awesome idea! I can’t wait to see it in action.

4 Likes

Thanks Stonie!

I envision this endeavor being huge for the ApeCoin DAO and web3 gaming in general. If we position ourselves correctly especially with the up and coming Yuga activations and many web3 games being developed the reach can be massive and the potential to scale is limitless. Starting small and building is key, instead of asking a huge amount without proof of being able to deliver.

-Demi

3 Likes

Absolutely you’re right - it’s not to make revenue for the DAO. I was talking about you guys making revenue for yourselves.

Let me just re-word this and make it shorter, as my wording last time was trash (thx @Gerry for the heads up). FWIW, I have only the best intentions for you guys. I look for potential weak points so you can have the best proposal, not to put anyone down or anything like that.

In the original post I said “pointless awareness.” Awareness is, of course, not pointless in general. However, an awareness effort can so inefficient (due to wrong target audience or bad timing) that it becomes essentially pointless. For example, a DAO awareness campaign targeted at young kids is quite pointless until they’re of age to understand object permanence at least. Marketing an ice cream shop a year before it opens is mostly pointless, too - most will forget about it before the shop opens.

So when discussing awareness, it’s paramount to include 1) audience, 2) timing, and 3) action(s) that audience will be able to take once awareness is effective. Right now, without any $ape sinks, what is the awareness designed to do? And most importantly, how will you survive until then if you go esports route considering that no team in esports is actually making money off of esports. And if it’s not esports, then shouldn’t the proposal be more content-oriented instead of esports-oriented?

Hope this clarifies it.

I love this proposal, not only because of the idea, but because of the team proposing it. I learned all about APE culture and Dooky Dash from Demi, he has been one of the most positive voices in the community. I really hope this gets passed.

6 Likes

I am impressed by the talent and dedication of your team and the highly accoladed players you have on your roster.

It is clear that your team has a strong track record of success in competitive gaming, and I believe that your passion for esports and commitment to excellence will serve you well in the future. Your players’ achievements demonstrate their skill, determination, and ability to work together as a team.

Overall, I think that your esports proposal is very promising, and I am excited to see what your team will achieve in the future.

7 Likes

First off - I’m excited about the idea of having a Gaming Brand within our ecosystem. I’m a longtime gamer and esports fan!

I spent 10 years at a global AAA gaming studio and have worked alongside both Gaming Dev and Esports. - and as Sasha mentioned above, it’s hard. I won’t cover Sasha’s points as I’m aligned. I ask the following questions in trying to bring clarity and help set you all up for success.

Given the decision to go the “Gaming Brand” (content) direction:

1. What are the specific goals or objectives of Team Bored? Is it to grow awareness within web3 gaming or web2 gaming? This would greatly impact the next question.
  2. What are the games you are targeting for creating content around?
  3. Do we have info on the Biz/Operations individuals. The creators are strong for certain games/genres, but would be great to know the caliber of business decisions being made to help grow this type of initiative.

Cheers,
Doc

12 Likes

You lost me at “pointless to raise awareness…”

1 Like

I’d be lost, too, Gerry, if I only took four words out of context :kissing_heart:

Apologies if my reply style is too dry. It’s a lifelong journey for me and not easy to fix for some reason, though I’ll keep trying!

1 Like

Thanks @Sasha that feedback is really helpful and appreciated to ensure that our focus on web3 gaming content creation is clear. I would like to reach out to discuss further if you have some time this week. I will DM you. We would be interested in your input on a few additional considerations in targeting that market right now.

3 Likes

Edited my last longer post above. Honestly it was worded badly and I appreciate Gerry bringing it up! It was typed up late at night while dealing with jet lag :sweat_smile:

And anytime @Shaemmon. I’ve created content and esports teams, worked for an agency for a bit (finding sponsors for creators), and later advised startups in general. The owner experience is not as glamorous as it appears and, frankly, just brutal. If any of that experience can be of use, it’s all free.

5 Likes